!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Hattons  (Read 47771 times)

Offline Graham Walters

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26013
  • Yes I support United...
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Testvalleymodels.co.uk
    • Awards
Re: Hattons
« Reply #285 on: January 10, 2018, 10:37:27 PM »
Currently not happy with Hatton's. I have an issue with the Class 40 Sound loco and I've emailed them 5 times, and have been responed to with 5 different people. The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing!

This was a report from May 2016,

https://www.insidermedia.com/insider/northwest/hattons-on-track-despite-sales-dip

They failed to make such a song and dance in May 2017 when they made a £400k loss, it seems as though the sales dip they suffered after moving, carried on, plus with Hornby now supplying to order, and stopping fire sales where Hattons and their ilk can pick up stock for peanuts, the days of massive discounts may soon be coming to a close.

Not sure what song and dance you are on about. There performance in 2016 and 2017 were both reported by Inside Media.

https://www.insidermedia.com/insider/northwest/hattons-slips-into-the-red-during-transformational-year

I always look badly on businesses and business owners who try to put down there opposition. I certainly won't be buying anything from Test Valley Models. Show some respect to your competitors

I'm not putting them down, I'm merely stating a fact that anyone can see based on their accounts lodged at Companies House, which is a  downside of being a LTD company, it's interesting, (for me at least) to be able to try and work out that their gross profit margin is, and try to work out how they survive on that margin, when others can't. I have had to respect criticism of my shop and the website on various forums from other retailers, competition is good when it is fair, but there have been questions raised by a lot of independents regarding Hatton's and other box shifters marketing and buying strategies.

The point in case is the poster getting replies from different people, and things could be read into that, which may or may not be good for Hattons in the market as whole.

I don't expect anyone to buy from us, our website is purely there as more of a catalogue for those within travelling distance of the shop, we do not, and will never try to compete with Hattons on price, where we win is our service to our customers, and our loyalty scheme keeps them coming back. Test Valley Models values it's customers, and it's suppliers, we offer a 30day no quibble money back guarantee which is well above what we are required by law to do.
Test Valley Models
testvalleymodels@gmail.com

Opening hours;
Monday Closed
Tues - Fri 1000 - 1700  Closed 1300 - 1330 For Lunch
Sat 0900 - 1700  Closed 1300 - 1330 For Lunch

Closed Public and Bank Holidays

Offline Graham Walters

• N Gauge Society Number: 26013
  • Yes I support United...
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Testvalleymodels.co.uk
    • Awards
« Reply #286 on: January 10, 2018, 11:23:19 PM »
Currently not happy with Hatton's. I have an issue with the Class 40 Sound loco and I've emailed them 5 times, and have been responed to with 5 different people. The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing!

This was a report from May 2016,

https://www.insidermedia.com/insider/northwest/hattons-on-track-despite-sales-dip

They failed to make such a song and dance in May 2017 when they made a £400k loss, it seems as though the sales dip they suffered after moving, carried on, plus with Hornby now supplying to order, and stopping fire sales where Hattons and their ilk can pick up stock for peanuts, the days of massive discounts may soon be coming to a close.

Not sure what song and dance you are on about. There performance in 2016 and 2017 were both reported by Inside Media.

https://www.insidermedia.com/insider/northwest/hattons-slips-into-the-red-during-transformational-year

I always look badly on businesses and business owners who try to put down there opposition. I certainly won't be buying anything from Test Valley Models. Show some respect to your competitors

I'm not putting them down, I'm merely stating a fact that anyone can see based on their accounts lodged at Companies House, which is a  downside of being a LTD company, it's interesting, (for me at least) to be able to try and work out that their gross profit margin is, and try to work out how they survive on that margin, when others can't. I have had to respect criticism of my shop and the website on various forums from other retailers, competition is good when it is fair, but there have been questions raised by a lot of independents regarding Hatton's and other box shifters marketing and buying strategies.

The point in case is the poster getting replies from different people, and things could be read into that, which may or may not be good for Hattons in the market as whole.

I don't expect anyone to buy from us, our website is purely there as more of a catalogue for those within travelling distance of the shop, we do not, and will never try to compete with Hattons on price, where we win is our service to our customers, and our loyalty scheme keeps them coming back. Test Valley Models values it's customers, and it's suppliers, we offer a 30day no quibble money back guarantee which is well above what we are required by law to do.

And if you had looked at the reason given for the loss you would know that it was write down of old stock they had already purchased and the cost of renovating their warehouse. Nothing to do with trading which increased by 2%. You would also know that Hatton's had a net worth of £3.7 million. To me this seems like a very healthy business.

A lot depends on how you read the figures, and how well you understand business finance, from a profit of £300k  to a deficit of £494k makes a nett loss of £794K, call it what you like but that is a hell of a lot of stock, as it is any capital expenditure can be offset against taxation, and that loss is a nett loss, and the previous year was a nett profit, so the true nett loss after taxation is in the region of £800k, if that happened to me, alarm bells would be ringing, plus you have to take into consideration that the MD is hardly going to tell the press that he's having sleepless nights over the loss, and he is going to paint a rosy picture.

As I stated in my previous answer, people with better business brains than mine cannot understand how Hatton's survive on an average margin of 13%, after all with min wages to pay etc, costs have to be fairly high in running a manpower heavy internet shop, one of the fundametal reasons  Amazon succeed is down to automatic product selection in it's warehouses, that is a luxury I don't think Hattons have.
Test Valley Models
testvalleymodels@gmail.com

Opening hours;
Monday Closed
Tues - Fri 1000 - 1700  Closed 1300 - 1330 For Lunch
Sat 0900 - 1700  Closed 1300 - 1330 For Lunch

Closed Public and Bank Holidays

Online longbow

• N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: Yes
    • Awards
« Reply #287 on: January 11, 2018, 02:03:01 AM »
Graham

If you add back the stock write-off and the General Manager's commission/remuneration, which appears to be deducted above the line rather than included in admin costs, then Hattons gross margin to June 2016 was not 13% but 29%, compared to 23% in 2015 and 22% in 2014.

I suggest you get your financial advisor to look at the Hattons accounts and provide you with a few key performance metrics for comparison with your own business. 

« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 02:11:43 AM by longbow »

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #288 on: March 20, 2018, 06:29:53 PM »
Interesting email received from Hattons today, anyone know where this stock might have come from?

"Over the next few days, you may notice a large selection of locomotives and rolling stock being added to our "New Stock" page. We have acquired a bulk amount of discontinued, but brand new, items from a fellow retailer. Hundreds of Bachmann, Dapol, Heljan & Hornby items will be available but there are limited quantities of each - so act fast if you'd like to take home some of these harder to find items."

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #289 on: March 20, 2018, 06:52:38 PM »
Got the same email Caz but no idea from where they are getting the stock.

Couldn't find anything by Googling 'UK railway model shop closing/cease trading' but that of course needn't be the case.

Perhaps a wholesaler is clearing down but don't know if the likes of Bachmann, Dapol, Heljan & Hornby sell via such businesses.

Bet someone knows!

Dave G

Offline railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #290 on: March 20, 2018, 07:05:55 PM »
Some speculation on the other site.

Looks like it's all 'Orribly Oversized?
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Online Karhedron

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #291 on: March 20, 2018, 09:41:47 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up. Worth knowing about in case any N Gauge goodies do turn up.
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline ten0G

• Awards
« Reply #292 on: March 22, 2018, 11:19:45 AM »
Nowt listed since the 20th for N gauge.  Am I looking at the right page - New Releases?  :confused2:

Offline Bob G

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
« Reply #293 on: March 22, 2018, 11:56:01 AM »

Offline 70000

• N Gauge Society Number: 27128
    • Awards
« Reply #294 on: March 23, 2018, 01:59:00 PM »
I did notice today that there are some items on their website that have been discounted by £30-40 in the last few days - which, as far as I know, have never been discounted before.
If you happen to be interested in the Olivias Trains/Heljan Woodhead electrics in OO, and never succumbed before, it would appear that now is the time to buy!
They seem to have expanded stocks of them now as well, so I'm getting my order in later today..........

Offline NinOz

• N Gauge Society Number: Ex3504
    • Awards
« Reply #295 on: September 21, 2018, 03:38:15 AM »
.......and seems to be much easier to use than the latest Rails web site
That is a rather low reference point. :)
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #296 on: September 21, 2018, 08:22:24 AM »
Definitely an improvement with a lot of filtering/search options.

The Hatton's email advises:

Please note:
The current website will also remain online for the time being. Customers with accounts on the current website (hattons.co.uk) will be required to sign up for a new one on at hattonshobbies.com. Accounts on both sites will be merged at a later date.

So your account history will be initially stored/viewed on the original site until they get around to merging that part of their customer database. Assume that would include any wish list.

Dave G

Online Skyline2uk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lets preserve at least one HST.....
    • My home layout thread, Filton TMD
    • Awards
« Reply #297 on: September 21, 2018, 08:37:20 AM »
Just had a quick flick through the new site with my morning coffee and it seems to be quite well thought out and works ok on the mobile.

As with all sites that offer this level of filtering options (Era, wagon type etc), this does rely on the stock being properly catalogued and that does appear to be an ongoing process. Majority of Dapol N wagons are “Uncategorised” at the moment for example.

Still, you can search for the item by name / number in a standard search bar and I must say I wouldn’t enjoy the job of sitting at a screen “categorising” stock all day long, so will give them time!

Especially if it wasn’t mine and I couldn’t take it home  :'(

Skyline2uk

Offline Portpatrick

• N Gauge Society Number: 3434
    • Awards
« Reply #298 on: September 21, 2018, 11:42:02 AM »
Hardly seems long since they last rebuilt it.  Was it broken?

Online DCCDave

• Trade Count: (+4)
    • Awards
« Reply #299 on: September 21, 2018, 12:38:59 PM »
Hardly seems long since they last rebuilt it.  Was it broken?

I didn't think so, but in the crazy world of web developers standing still is seen as going backwards. The new categorisation looks more powerful, but only when all of the data is categorised properly

Cheers
Dave

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
55% 
September Donations