!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Hattons  (Read 48676 times)

Offline lil chris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
Re: Hattons
« Reply #90 on: August 24, 2016, 07:10:27 PM »
I have no problem with rm either or amazon, today for example amazon left a parcel with next door. Rm sometimes takes parcels back if it is signed for and there is no one in, but that is not a problem the depot is at the most 10 mins away. The only thing I am annoyed about is the time it takes Hattons to process my order after taking the money, now 5 days and counting.
UPDATE
Since I posted this I have now a e-mail saying the items are packed, still not despatched yet but they are getting nearer you never know I might get them by the end of the week.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 08:50:50 PM by lil chris, Reason: added text »
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Offline longbow

• N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: Yes
    • Awards
« Reply #91 on: August 24, 2016, 11:27:19 PM »
I've ordered a lot of stuff online from overseas in the last few weeks. Hattons have been a stand-out on price and service, though thankfully I've not yet needed to test their returns policy. They are particularly good on international postage costs, a weak point with some of their UK rivals.  Indeed they often charge less postage than Australian online retailers!   

Offline Agrippa

• Awards
« Reply #92 on: August 24, 2016, 11:37:36 PM »
Chris, we're out in the sticks a bit and so we have a nominated safe place which our our posties know and they can leave non signed for deliveries quite securely.

Is it possible for you to organise or arrange something similar?

We work on the basis that mail order stuff can take a week and don't start fretting until day 6! Missing a pre-arranged date and time is close to unforgivable these days, especially when (most) drivers have mobiles and can call to advise of any problems.

Thinking 'I'd better stay in, in case' can be a real pain, hence our SP. It's saved a lot of hanging around and frustration.

Dave G
What about unspecified safe places...
RM put a tracked package in my recycling wheely bin without leaving a card. I was just about to chuck a load of old newspapers, cardboard boxes and beer cans (IPA of course) when I spotted this parcel in the bin!!
Fished it out and it was my 61xx from ebay. I could so easily have missed that parcel. Not good Royal Mail!!
 :veryangry:

I would contact Royal Mail and see if they can fire this clown, my postie is excellent
he delivered an Ebay  item to me even tho the seller was a half wit who put
the wrong address on my packet.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 11:43:48 PM by Agrippa, Reason: posted before finished »
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Online railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #93 on: August 24, 2016, 11:52:20 PM »
I've ordered a lot of stuff online from overseas in the last few weeks. Hattons have been a stand-out on price and service, though thankfully I've not yet needed to test their returns policy. They are particularly good on international postage costs, a weak point with some of their UK rivals.
Ditto, also their packages seem less likely to tax the imagination of the local excise. Though my last two orders seem to be taking their time...
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Offline longbow

• N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: Yes
    • Awards
« Reply #94 on: August 25, 2016, 12:07:54 AM »
No excise issues here in Oz at present for most online orders. However Hattons will likely become subject to plans to oblige overseas retailers with Australia sales above A$75k pa to collect 10% GST from July 2017. Could be an opportunity for smaller UK retailers to sell here.

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #95 on: August 25, 2016, 12:08:23 PM »
I've ordered a lot of stuff online from overseas in the last few weeks. Hattons have been a stand-out on price and service, though thankfully I've not yet needed to test their returns policy. They are particularly good on international postage costs, a weak point with some of their UK rivals.
Ditto, also their packages seem less likely to tax the imagination of the local excise. Though my last two orders seem to be taking their time...
Having written that, one turned up in the post earlier  :beers:

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #96 on: August 26, 2016, 02:11:42 PM »
And the next one did today.

Meanwhile I see Hattons has redefined "like new" to mean "sprayed with mouldy cheese".

Fleischmann 7177-LN Class 51 2-10-0 of the German DB Epoch III - Pre-owned - Like new

Offline Lachute

• Awards
« Reply #97 on: August 26, 2016, 02:56:27 PM »
 :laughabovepost: :laughabovepost: :laughabovepost:

Offline 47033

• N Gauge Society Number: 23722
    • Awards
« Reply #98 on: August 26, 2016, 07:03:45 PM »
Ordered 2 packs (30 each) of Peco wooden sleeper code 55 flexible track and 10 points from Hattons on Monday. They arrived this morning via DHL here in Virginia. Great price too, can't beat that.

Jamie
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 07:04:55 PM by 47033 »

Online class37025

• Trade Count: (+33)
    • Awards
« Reply #99 on: August 27, 2016, 04:32:57 PM »
personally I've found Hatton's service to have really declined recently.

several cases recently of them finding that stuff ordered is not there when they go to pick it, on one occasion this happened two days AFTER the order status had changed to 'picked awaiting packing'.

my last order, placed on a Friday, was still showing as 'payment taken awaiting picking' by late on the following Tuesday, and when it was still showing as that on the Wednesday afternoon I went on their chat and enquired if there was a problem.

I was told they'd got a backlog, but hoped to get it cleared in a week or so.

I cancelled the order, with a full refund.

seems the days of order Monday, packed Tuesday, and received Wednesday are long gone.

on one occasion I ordered at about 02:30 on a Wednesday, and received the order Thursday. That was before they moved to their new warehouse, and it seems that since then the time between order being placed, and items despatched, has got longer and longer.

just my view.
typed by fur box mechanic - dictated by brain on a chain

Offline Lachute

• Awards
« Reply #100 on: August 27, 2016, 04:49:28 PM »

Offline zopadooper

• Awards
« Reply #101 on: August 28, 2016, 07:30:28 AM »
I said it at the beginning of this debate and I repeat it now - is it really so difficult to plan ahead and order things in good time?  To wait a whole week for something that has no fundamental purpose other than to fill our spare time is no big deal.  I would be very surprised if those complaining haven't already got a dozen projects on the back-burner that they could return to fill their hours of leisure.

Online Chris Morris

• Ridgacre Branch & Little Aller Junction
    • Awards
« Reply #102 on: August 28, 2016, 08:14:36 AM »
I said it at the beginning of this debate and I repeat it now - is it really so difficult to plan ahead and order things in good time?  To wait a whole week for something that has no fundamental purpose other than to fill our spare time is no big deal.  I would be very surprised if those complaining haven't already got a dozen projects on the back-burner that they could return to fill their hours of leisure.

Whilst you are right logically I guess a new purchase is an emotional thing.
In my experience Hattons were incredibly quick at dispatching orders, with things sometimes arriving the next day. I am sure that this level of service has influenced where they are today. If this is slipping then they will slowly loose customers to their competitors so, assuming that someone form Hattons reads this, it is important feedback for the continued success of their business.
Based on my limited experience of the last month I would say Rails are a better supplier than Hattons at the moment.

Offline PLD

• Hull Miniature Railway Society
    • Awards
« Reply #103 on: August 28, 2016, 09:11:25 AM »
So in short;

Are Hattons delivering a good service? - yes
Is the service you get from Hattons as good or better than the majority of other suppliers? - yes
Is the current service from Hattons as good as it's ever been? - Majority opinion (including mine) no...

And there is the issue. Hattons set the bar very high over the last few years and while other big names have caught up they are still among the leaders, but currently they are not quite matching expectations set based on previous form...

Offline Yet_Another

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25847
  • Chacun à son goût!
    • Awards
« Reply #104 on: August 28, 2016, 09:55:52 AM »
This from the Hattons website:

http://www.hattons.co.uk/NewsDetail.aspx?id=113

May cast some light on the issue.

I guess I'll just have to order something next week to check...
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £66.00
Below Goal: £34.00
Site Currency: GBP
66% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything