!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Hattons  (Read 48868 times)

Offline Sea Mills

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21444
    • Awards
Re: Hattons
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2013, 08:41:19 AM »
I am another who has spent a lot of money with Hattons but won't use them again as you can't stop them using Yodel.   The much maligned Royal Mail offers us a really good service and the sorting office is near if I need to collect.

David

Offline lionwing

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • If you have nothing nice to say then keep quiet!
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • MySpace
    • PhotoBucket
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2013, 09:14:42 AM »
I have nothing but excellent service, via mail order, with Hattons.

Excellent prices (even including delivery) and service.

The website isn't cutting edge and could do with a overhaul but generally functions pretty well for me.

Slightly off topic the issue of taking pre-orders for products that may not appear for many months (perhaps even long) is, in my view, generally poor practice.  I don't know enough to understand my manufacturers do this and can only speculate as to why.  Even more frustrating is that all too often the expected availability dates get shunted back.  The Dapol B Set Coach and Class 14xx are apparently delayed until the end of year despite previous information indicating they would be available around Spring!  :thumbsdown:

Richard - Stop before the buffers!

Offline darren.c

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23048
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2013, 10:26:54 AM »
with any ltd ed models they are put on tail runs of normal productions
if a model has to have normal run of 1500 units to be produced and ltd run of 500 once the pre order of normal run is at a level that warrants production the ltd ed run will then be produced with itt this also can be affected by production time in china too ' if the work load is high in the factory then it gets shunted  british out line suffers a lot from being shunted as we do not order great amounts of units per order
if you have notice we get runs of a loco wagon or coach then nothing for ages of that  type
daz

Offline Sprintex

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: CLOSED
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2013, 10:54:21 AM »
Slightly off topic the issue of taking pre-orders for products that may not appear for many months (perhaps even long) is, in my view, generally poor practice.  I don't know enough to understand my manufacturers do this and can only speculate as to why.  Even more frustrating is that all too often the expected availability dates get shunted back.

Why is it poor practice though? For the consumer it means they can reserve items they want far in advance and guarantee they will get it when it is released.

For the manufacturer the pre-order levels can give them a rough idea how many initial-run units to make to avoid over-production and excess stock sitting on shelves and eventually having to be discounted.

And for the retailer it can be good to know an idea of future sales and helps customer-retention if people can continually pre-order.

Considering no money is taken until the item is ready to despatch I can't see how anyone loses? ;)

Paul

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2013, 11:23:06 AM »
There are numerous posts regarding the topic of scheduled and actual delivery dates.

I tend to agree with Paul, albeit frustrating when you learn of the 'release date' to find later that in fact it's very much later than first announced.

Like many here who have (often scary) pre-order lists, it usually fixes the price and gives more time to either save for the item or, as in my case, spend it on something that's in stock now!

Hatton's do operate an email availability info service that I found quite helpful.

Dave G

Offline lionwing

• Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • MySpace
    • PhotoBucket
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2013, 12:07:36 PM »
Slightly off topic the issue of taking pre-orders for products that may not appear for many months (perhaps even long) is, in my view, generally poor practice.  I don't know enough to understand my manufacturers do this and can only speculate as to why.  Even more frustrating is that all too often the expected availability dates get shunted back.

Why is it poor practice though? For the consumer it means they can reserve items they want far in advance and guarantee they will get it when it is released.

For the manufacturer the pre-order levels can give them a rough idea how many initial-run units to make to avoid over-production and excess stock sitting on shelves and eventually having to be discounted.

And for the retailer it can be good to know an idea of future sales and helps customer-retention if people can continually pre-order.

Considering no money is taken until the item is ready to despatch I can't see how anyone loses? ;)

Paul

Paul

Just to clarify the poor practice in my view is the constant shifting of expected delivery dates not the concept of taking pre-orders assuming this is done in the interest of the customer and not to protect the manufacture.

Offline Sprintex

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2013, 12:25:10 PM »
Ah OK :)

Sadly I can't see Bachmann or Dapol changing that any time soon ;)

Paul

Offline darren.c

• N Gauge Society Number: 23048
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2013, 12:40:13 PM »
working myself  in the model railway  industry
i can not see this improving i don't blame retailers or production companies . the biggest problem is the production time many of the factories in china have a 6 month lead time from you placing the order too the item being produced that's why when you see the production samples in the mags it can be months for the item to hit the shelf.
daz 

Offline lionwing

• Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • MySpace
    • PhotoBucket
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2013, 12:46:56 PM »
Ah OK :)

Sadly I can't see Bachmann or Dapol changing that any time soon ;)

Paul

Me neither....

:hmmm:

Offline bigbob

• N Gauge Society Number: 24013
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2013, 12:49:00 PM »
I use Hattons to check prices but usually expensive compared to Rails or Cheltenham. Rails will price match and always had good service. Got let down with slow service from Hattons so don`t use them.

Offline jack20

• Awards
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2013, 12:13:51 AM »
Hmm...i have never purchased from hattons but the bargain packs are quite tempting.

Interesting to read reviews though
Jack

Offline Hearts1874

• N Gauge Society Number: 17333
  • 2mm Association Number: 2265 ???
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2013, 06:12:33 AM »
ordered the new farish mk2s 1xFK,1xBSO on Thursday night 20th june and they arrived Tuesday 25th june and I live in NZ

now that's what I call service WELL DONE hattons

Offline KJH

• Awards
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2013, 07:10:17 AM »
ordered the new farish mk2s 1xFK,1xBSO on Thursday night 20th june and they arrived Tuesday 25th june and I live in NZ

now that's what I call service WELL DONE hattons
I agree, I live in the big island to the west of you. I have just received an order. It took 10 days but I reckon half of that was Oz Customs. I've never been let down by Hattons.
KJH

Offline Sprintex

• Awards
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2013, 07:19:08 AM »
I spy a first post, welcome in KJH :wave:

Paul

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2013, 07:29:37 AM »
I spy a first post, welcome in KJH :wave:

Paul

Well spotted Paul!

Yes indeed, KJH,  :welcomesign:

Please tell us a bit about your modelling interests or projects.

Dave G

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £74.00
Below Goal: £26.00
Site Currency: GBP
74% 
October Donations

Advertise Here