!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Hattons  (Read 48754 times)

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
Hattons
« on: March 08, 2013, 04:39:52 PM »
We've been banging on a bit about poor customer service so here's a complete contrast:

I have several pre-orders with Hattons and decided to add a few more small items that are also available to pre-order.

Using their new online live chat service I explained what I wanted to do but didn't want to have multiple shipments of small items and so push up the shipping costs.

Not only did the guy (Tom) say that wouldn't be a problem but phoned me within a few minutes to arrange adding the items to an order most likely to be fulfilled first and so reduce the chance of any item selling out.

You can't do much better than that!

Dave G

Offline OwL

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 15643
    • Awards
Re: Hattons
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 04:52:20 PM »
Thats really good to hear and very refreshing, and that is why shops like Hattons, Modellers Mecca, Model Railways direct and Rails of Sheffield will keep my future business and why others like Signal Box Rochester will no longer recieve a penny from me.
Theres the contrast you see, on one hand a shop that understands the internet and has good customer services (Hattons) and on the other hand a shop that doesnt know how to utilise the net properly and has sloppy customer service (Signal Box Rochester)

I know who gets my business ;)

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

Offline scruff

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 09:19:03 PM »
I just had a shock, I ordered a loco and coach yesterday (Friday) around 12.30 from Hattons, standard 4.00 postage... 2 day tracked.. expected it Tuesday.
I got a shock when the guy from Yodel delivered it at 11.00 this morning (Saturday).. only 22.5 hours later!
A big well done to Hattons and Yodel.
Cheers
Mark

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 09:22:59 PM »
I just had a shock, I ordered a loco and coach yesterday (Friday) around 12.30 from Hattons, standard 4.00 postage... 2 day tracked.. expected it Tuesday.
I got a shock when the guy from Yodel delivered it at 11.00 this morning (Saturday).. only 22.5 hours later!
A big well done to Hattons and Yodel.
Cheers
Mark

Whattya been buying, Mark? How about some pics in the "Show your latest purchase" thread. I hope you got permission to purchase? :-X

Offline daveg

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 08:36:45 AM »
Good to hear that Hattons continue to give great service.

Not quite so for me but not their fault. A part order (rest pre-order) shipped by 2 day Tracked Parcel Post took a week to get to me.

To cut a story short, after a little prompting from me, I have been told I will receive a 4 voucher to cover the cost of the postage charged.

Dave G

Offline Caz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 08:49:32 AM »
I love Hattons as you know where you stand with them as they keep you well informed as to the state of your order unlike some other traders I could mention.  Over the last week I've ordered 6 different items, MRD and Plaza Japan keep you well informed as per Hattons but the other three, one in Germany, one a forum member on here and the other a UK supplier I haven't heard anything since I placed my order despite taking my money days ago.   :veryangry2:

Is it too much trouble for suppliers to pop you an email when it has been despatched as with the built in delay you have by living overseas it is nice to know it's on its way.   :veryangry:

Offline class37025

• Trade Count: (+33)
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 12:01:29 PM »
Good to hear that Hattons continue to give great service.

Not quite so for me but not their fault. A part order (rest pre-order) shipped by 2 day Tracked Parcel Post took a week to get to me.

To cut a story short, after a little prompting from me, I have been told I will receive a 4 voucher to cover the cost of the postage charged.

Dave G

I've always had exceptional service from Hattons, and lets be honest once it's in the hands of either a courier or the post office they can't really be held to account if it is delayed.

the only thing you do need to watch is that if your order is ready for despatch after the royal mail collection has gone, they will send by Yodel to get it to you as soon as possible, rather than wait for the next day's royal mail.

a quick note of 'please only use royal mail regardless of time of despatch' stops this.

as a shift worker I have a safe place arranged with the post office to save being woken up, but yodel seem to insist on ignoring any note such as 'shift worker sleeping, please leave in safe place' and just rings the bell.

used to be the same with DHorribleL even though a safe place had been agreed with them.

typed by fur box mechanic - dictated by brain on a chain

Offline Sea Mills

• N Gauge Society Number: 21444
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 12:43:47 PM »
Sadly their is no way to stop them using Yodel.   Although you ostensibly have the option to choose your delivery option, they ignore it.   Twice I have selected Royal Mail and supplemented this with a comment in the delivery notes, but they still send it by Yodel.  I have had good service in the past but won't use them, or anyone else, unless I can choose my delivery option.

David

Offline woodbury22uk

• N Gauge Society Number: 23382
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 12:27:08 PM »
Sadly their is no way to stop them using Yodel.   Although you ostensibly have the option to choose your delivery option, they ignore it.   Twice I have selected Royal Mail and supplemented this with a comment in the delivery notes, but they still send it by Yodel.  I have had good service in the past but won't use them, or anyone else, unless I can choose my delivery option.

David

One plus with Yodel is that they seem to collect from Hattons on a Sunday. I had a Saturday evening order delivered on Monday morning by the regular Yodel driver - who is reliable and helpful. Distance shopping at its best.

Mike
Mike

Over-user of brackets and quotation marks.

Wondering how many pedants can dance of the head of a pin.

Membre AFAN 0196

Offline zwilnik

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19730
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2013, 12:36:23 PM »
I've had to give up with any shop that delivers via Yodel here. The local Yodel driver has absolutely zero local knowledge of Godalming and apparently can't read a sat nav (or doesn't have one) and always fails to deliver.

Offline Steve.T

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23237
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2013, 03:27:09 PM »
I must admit I find the service from Hattons 2nd to none.
They are so helpful and with their very competitive prices then you just can't go wrong.

Twice I have managed to double up on orders (don't ask me how I did it  :doh:) but rather than just send me the goods and make twice the money they phoned me and emailed me to let me know before sending the second one out.
They also cancelled an order, at my request, after it had been packed and sent to the shipping dept at no cost to myself.
Sounds like I have been a real pain to them (and probably have) but also spent a fair bit of cash with them as well partially due to the teriffic service.
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

Steve

Offline Agrippa

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2013, 08:20:23 PM »
Hattons seems to do good service, I like the way they show stock levels.
I haven't used them yet, usually get stuff from Osborns who have
been reliable so far , though don't show stock levels other than 
an out of stock note. Haven't heard of Yodel, what area do they cover?

As for couriers leaving packages in a safe place my neighbours would
pinch my doormat if they got the chance.
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Offline daveg

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2013, 08:42:58 PM »
I try and compare at least 3 online suppliers before committing to buying and I always check the delivered price.

Osbornes are very good but not the best prices on every occasion.

By subscribing to supplier newsletters or whatever, you often get a heads up on special offers or limited editions. And of course the NGF guys and gals that can spot a bargain at a great distance!  :goggleeyes:

Dave G

Offline ReBeginner

• Where to begin...................... or end?
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2013, 08:45:45 PM »
Hattons (396) - I love them but was sorry the only other supplier with an ounce of business sense (Osborns 458) had to lose out on price.
Son of Osborns did ask to have 2nd chance but I didn't feel he could come near, and at only 4 delivery!
Hattons have agreed any bits I don't want or need can be returned, presumably for refund but I'll not be so cheeky and will therefore only exchange - how can such a 'large' firm get it so right?
Order was for initial track for whole new layout, by the way - and in total all the other bits and bobs almost doubled it!
Less is more .............. So I'm told!

What do we want?
Hearing Aids
When do we want 'em?
Hearing Aids

Offline Karhedron

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2013, 10:00:03 AM »
I tend to spread my trade around. I like Osborns for the limited editions. Rails of Sheffield and Hattons are both good on price.

I also put a lot of trade through my local model shop, Church Street Models of Basingstoke. Good range and great service. While not quite as cheap as Rails or Hattons, I can save on postage, see locos running before I buy and support a local business.

Having a good model shop within walking distance is a great for when you run out of rail joiners at half-past-four on a Saturday afternoon.  :thankyousign:
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £66.00
Below Goal: £34.00
Site Currency: GBP
66% 
October Donations

Advertise Here