!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: "SGNRSALE" - be careful ...  (Read 176 times)

Online LASteve

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28183
    • Awards
"SGNRSALE" - be careful ...
« on: March 06, 2020, 02:58:02 AM »
... Actually, avoid like the plague.

This popped up on my Google search today; I'm looking to build up a rake of 14T Esso/BP Tank Wagons so I look online every now and again:

https://www.sgnrsale.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=403334

The price looks great, too good to be true, and I'm sure, yes, it's too good to be true. The website has no feedback, no endorsements and no corroboration from anywhere on t'Internet. They take Visa (with a warning that the transaction might not go through so retry if it fails) and money order. Red flags and alarm bells anyone? They also say that the product us "usually in stock" but sometimes it might be "on back stock". Go ahead and confidently enter your credit card details.

A quick bit of research shows that "SGNR" is a common abbreviation for Shri Ganganagar, a town in India. They ship to anywhere in the world (!) show prices in a few different currencies, but offer free shipping if your order exceeds the equivalent amount to GBP33 no matter where it's being shipped to.

Yes, I'm sure it's totally genuine and you'll get your rake of wagons at half-off retail with no problems.

:censored: :censored:

Offline railsquid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
Re: "SGNRSALE" - be careful ...
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2020, 03:59:13 AM »
There are a fair few of that kind of site popping up, a common feature is that product descriptions contain a phrase like this:

New: A brand-new, unused, unopened and undamaged item. See the seller's listing for full details. See all condition definitions

as presumably they've scraped eBay listings (which also explains why they have an implausible range of products).
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £105.55
Above Goal: £45.55
Site Currency: GBP
176% 
March Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal