!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Britannia - a tale of woe and a warning  (Read 21905 times)

Offline REFaust

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 20356
    • My N Gauge YouTube channel
    • Awards
Re: Britannia - a tale of woe and a warning
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2011, 04:36:56 PM »
I gave Hattons a ring today as they didn't contact me as arranged yesterday..turns out the member of staff who was going to do so has been off the last couple of days.

They spoke to Dapol and informed me that my Brit had been returned for rebuilding..which seems odd for one tiny broken piece of plastic..an hour or so later I got another call from Hattons..Dapol had contacted them again to say it would be 'several months' before I got my Brit back. They have had it since the end of June.

I'm staggared that Dapol don't have a single spare loco available in order to prevent a customer waiting 4 months for a simple repair...Very depressed at the moment. I'm beginning to start to wonder whether they actually give a damn...

R E Faust

Offline painbrook

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2011, 04:51:45 PM »
Sadly not !! . Cheers john .

Offline REFaust

• Awards
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2011, 05:06:53 PM »
Sadly not !! . Cheers john .

Well I've just seen by looking at the Dapol facebook page that I am not the only person who returned a brit a couple of months ago and is still waiting for a replacement. Not that it makes me feel any better mind lol

R E Faust

:Class414: :Class414:

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2011, 05:18:40 PM »
Dapol had contacted them again to say it would be 'several months' before I got my Brit back. They have had it since the end of June.

Presumably it's been shipped back to China, will then need to be repaired or rebuilt and then await another slow boat back over here.

In all honesty if I were you I'd cut my losses and try and get a refund rather than having 6 odd months without the loco or your money!

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Elvinley

• YouTube
    • Elvinley YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2011, 05:40:41 PM »
A refund is the best option. I'm sure Hattons will oblige. I got a refund on mine which was purchased from Gaugemaster when it overheated. I ended up buying a mate's Brit as I had seen this work and knew it was ok.

Offline REFaust

• Awards
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2011, 05:47:11 PM »
Dapol had contacted them again to say it would be 'several months' before I got my Brit back. They have had it since the end of June.

Presumably it's been shipped back to China, will then need to be repaired or rebuilt and then await another slow boat back over here.

In all honesty if I were you I'd cut my losses and try and get a refund rather than having 6 odd months without the loco or your money!

Cheers,
Alan

Yes Hattons did ask me if I wanted to get a refund..but I really want 'Oliver Cromwell' as it fits my projected layout so well. Also it's not like I can get another early crest Brit as a replacement..'Robin Hood' seems to have disappeared off the shelves :(

R E Faust

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2011, 06:15:55 PM »

Yes Hattons did ask me if I wanted to get a refund..but I really want 'Oliver Cromwell' as it fits my projected layout so well. Also it's not like I can get another early crest Brit as a replacement..'Robin Hood' seems to have disappeared off the shelves :(

R E Faust

Bear in mind that the nameplates are so overscale you'd probably want to change them anyway, in which case buying any Brit and renumbering/re-cresting may be not be a big additional deal.

I certainly wouldn't want it back after it being back round the world several times....!

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2011, 06:18:18 PM »

R E Faust

Sorry to hear of your problems - it's no replacement but........................

Offline cudders

• N Gauge Society Number: 21730
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2011, 10:30:39 PM »
What shocking service that is. I only have one dapol loco and that's the last.

Cudders
Hoping to make a start on the layout before Xmas!!

Offline Elvinley

• YouTube
    • Elvinley YouTube
    • Awards

Offline Sithlord75

• N Gauge Society Number: 13892
  • 2mm Association Number: 4430
    • Sithlord's Railway Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2011, 07:38:03 AM »
Thanks for the link - while I would love to replace my pair of Minitrix ones, at 94 quid and a dodgy reputation (where did I see it said it was the Best N Gauge Steam Loco???) I think I will pass from 10 time zones away.
Kevin Knight
"Do or do not - there is no try"

My blog thingo can be found here: http://www.sithlordsrailwayblog.blogspot.com

Offline Portpatrick

• N Gauge Society Number: 3434
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2011, 10:37:45 AM »
OK, after the tales of woe here is the other side

I purchased on of the second release at the Milton Keynes show 2 weeks ago - the price was a good as I think we can find, with no postage.  The wheels seem to have been toned down a bit though significant scope for normalisaton, - I will probably attempt to darken them.

I have it 20 minutes in each dirextion on my tesy oval.  Then last night it had 30 minutes on the club layout with 5 ancient G/F old style corridor coaches plus a Lima CCT.  So far so good.  It did not run hot or seize up.  So it is looking fine.

The best of my 2 Minitrix chassis is now under the body I have ammended into a Clan.

Offline REFaust

• Awards
« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2011, 04:40:36 PM »
OK, after the tales of woe here is the other side

I purchased on of the second release at the Milton Keynes show 2 weeks ago - the price was a good as I think we can find, with no postage.  The wheels seem to have been toned down a bit though significant scope for normalisaton, - I will probably attempt to darken them.

I have it 20 minutes in each dirextion on my tesy oval.  Then last night it had 30 minutes on the club layout with 5 ancient G/F old style corridor coaches plus a Lima CCT.  So far so good.  It did not run hot or seize up.  So it is looking fine.

The best of my 2 Minitrix chassis is now under the body I have ammended into a Clan.

Glad to hear yours is running well. I should point out my issues were not with running..I never got to run mine as I could see the damage in the box before unpacking it, something Dapol didn't manage to do  :smiley-laughing:

R E Faust

Offline davieb

• Awards
« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2011, 05:15:45 PM »
hi all

i had a britannia (oliver cromwell) that was working well  :) that is until this week  :(

all of a sudden it has started making what can only be described as "f**ting noises" at certain parts of my layout  :o

the noise is coming from the tender, at first i thought it was the new double slip i have installed, but it does it at other locations also.
i am at a loss to what the problem could be. i have changed the tender wheels around, tried it without the middle set of wheels i have also cleaned the "bearing" holes
it also looks as if the loco is strugeling to move the tender when it makes this noise

has anyone heard if this before it has me well puzzled  ???

if anyone could help me it would save me a trip back to the shop with it

thanks in advance

dave 

Offline scotsoft

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Scottish n' Newcastle
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2011, 05:43:24 PM »

all of a sudden it has started making what can only be described as "f**ting noises" at certain parts of my layout  :o

This is a pure stab in the dark, have you checked the distance between the wheels?
I am really new to problem solving so if that is a stupid suggestion I apologise upfront.

cheers John.

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal