!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Britannia - a tale of woe and a warning  (Read 21920 times)

Offline lesmond

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Britannia - a tale of woe and a warning
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2011, 01:20:24 PM »
If there was no free speech on here I'd not be a member  :thumbsup:
Malice in defeat; revenge in victory

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2011, 02:01:30 PM »
You've no doubt seen this on the Dapol website
"we are also pleased to announce that it will negotiate 9inch curves although will be happier on large radius trackwork. This model is intended to be the definitive model in N gauge mass produced steam locomotive production and we hope will become the 'benchmark' for all future N gauge models"

Take what you will from that ::)

Offline Sithlord75

• N Gauge Society Number: 13892
  • 2mm Association Number: 4430
    • Sithlord's Railway Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2011, 07:58:52 AM »
You've no doubt seen this on the Dapol website
"we are also pleased to announce that it will negotiate 9inch curves although will be happier on large radius trackwork. This model is intended to be the definitive model in N gauge mass produced steam locomotive production and we hope will become the 'benchmark' for all future N gauge models"

Take what you will from that ::)

Saw it and read this review in a publication: "...dependant on finish and performance, it looked set to take over the mantle of the 'best ever British N gauge steam loco'..." although this was on the EP and the LE from Osborns and the review did go on to say the competition is very tough these days.  TBH, from what I have read and seen, the Brit isn't the 'best ever British N gauge steam loco' - the Farish Std 3 tank is (I have two of these - Black and Green and they are both brilliant runners).
Kevin Knight
"Do or do not - there is no try"

My blog thingo can be found here: http://www.sithlordsrailwayblog.blogspot.com

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2011, 11:19:52 AM »
TBH, from what I have read and seen, the Brit isn't the 'best ever British N gauge steam loco' - the Farish Std 3 tank is (I have two of these - Black and Green and they are both brilliant runners).

I would concur with this - superb model.

With the promise of a new coreless motor and loco drive the upcoming standard 5MT from Farish could steal that mantle again though...

....certainly sounds like another innovative leap forward for the scale.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline REFaust

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 20356
    • My N Gauge YouTube channel
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2011, 01:53:21 PM »
I rang Hattons yesterday for an update as Dapol have had the Brit back for 3 weeks or so and Dapol Dave hadn't yet responded to a private message on another forum which I sent him last week.

They haven't heard a dicky-bird, but told me a month wasn't an unusual length of time to wait for Dapol to get back to them. So still no brit :(

R E Faust

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2011, 02:00:20 PM »
Not making excuses for anyone, but tis the holiday period.
Having said that, I sent Dave a mail yesterday and had a reply this morning, although the news was disappointing.

Offline REFaust

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2011, 11:17:17 AM »
An update:

Well my 'Oliver Cromwell' has been back at Dapol since late June and total silence. I gave Hattons a ring today and they had heard nothing from Dapol since sending it to them. I understand they are a small company and it's the summer but given the recent issues with quality control it's alarming that if you have a problem with one of their products it takes so long to resolve, and it seems to be that the onus is on the purchaser to chase them/remind them constantly.

I am having serious doubts about buying any dapol locos again. While I might still purchase an item of rolling stock occasionally I have already ditched plans to buy an HST Swallow set and coaches because of this experience.

R E Faust

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2011, 11:32:52 AM »
An update:

Well my 'Oliver Cromwell' has been back at Dapol since late June and total silence. I gave Hattons a ring today and they had heard nothing from Dapol since sending it to them. I understand they are a small company and it's the summer but given the recent issues with quality control it's alarming that if you have a problem with one of their products it takes so long to resolve, and it seems to be that the onus is on the purchaser to chase them/remind them constantly.

I am having serious doubts about buying any dapol locos again. While I might still purchase an item of rolling stock occasionally I have already ditched plans to buy an HST Swallow set and coaches because of this experience.

R E Faust

Can you get a refund from Hattons?

Regards,
Alan

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Elvinley

• YouTube
    • Elvinley YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2011, 11:44:50 AM »
I had a similar experience with a Hymek from Tennents a few years back. I got it for a great price and Tennents (who are a legendary shop) offered money back or return to Dapol. I chose to get it repaired as it was getting pretty rare at the time and I really wanted a Hymek. After a while Dapol lost it, found it, offered a refund, offered that I wait for a new chassis etc. Eventually it came back after about 6 months.

I have pretty much given up on Dapol these days. I haven't bought the new Hall although it would be perfect for my railway.

Offline Spamcan

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2011, 11:53:32 AM »
Good Morning Gentlemen

I now have 2 Dapol Britannias and as per the instructions I oiled and ran them in. Both locos ran very well on what remains of my DC layout and I took the plunge to add a dcc decoder to one. I would consider myself a novice when it comes to DCC but I must say I did enjoy the challenge of adding a decoder.

I put the tender back together set my controller to address number 3 and off she went. Both my Britannias run very well on DC and I have had no problems at all on DCC.

I consider it a extremely good runner and highly detailed. My friend James who still runs DC has now 3 Britannias and he also has had no problems.

I would recommend this loco and I have no issues with Dapols quality.

Frank

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2011, 12:20:21 PM »
Good Morning Gentlemen

I would recommend this loco and I have no issues with Dapols quality.

Frank

Frank - it's good to hear the other side of the story. Thank you.

Offline Elvinley

• YouTube
    • Elvinley YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2011, 12:39:15 PM »
There are definitely good locos out there produced by Dapol. I have some that have run for hours and have never given any trouble. There is no denying that it is a gamble though, and for anyone who has had a lot of their locos the percentage of problems is way too high.

Offline OwL

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 15643
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2011, 07:10:35 PM »
There are definitely good locos out there produced by Dapol. I have some that have run for hours and have never given any trouble. There is no denying that it is a gamble though, and for anyone who has had a lot of their locos the percentage of problems is way too high.

Very well said. I have some good Dapol runners, but you are spot on with the % of problems with Dapol mechanisms in general.

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

Offline REFaust

• Awards
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2011, 09:07:57 AM »
I had a call back from Hattons yesterday. They spoke to Dapol and the guy there wasn't too sure what was happening, thought it 'might have been sent back to the factory for a rebuild' but that the person who would know was away until Tuesday. The Hattons staff member didn't seem too impressed, saying it was all 'very vague' but said they'd ring again on Tuesday and let me know if there is an update.

So I wait and hope...

R E Faust

:NGFWagonTour: :NGFWagonTour: :Class31:

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2011, 11:52:01 AM »
I had a call back from Hattons yesterday. They spoke to Dapol and the guy there wasn't too sure what was happening, thought it 'might have been sent back to the factory for a rebuild' but that the person who would know was away until Tuesday. The Hattons staff member didn't seem too impressed, saying it was all 'very vague' but said they'd ring again on Tuesday and let me know if there is an update.

So I wait and hope...

R E Faust

Here's where Dapol are shown wanting - they reportedly had spare chassis made in case of failures, and then promptly sold them all to punters!!!

Cheers,
Alan

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal