!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Britannia - a tale of woe and a warning  (Read 21925 times)

Offline REFaust

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 20356
    • My N Gauge YouTube channel
    • Awards
Britannia - a tale of woe and a warning
« on: June 16, 2011, 05:23:48 PM »
Hi All

I bought a new Dapol Britannia 'Oliver Cromwell' from Hattons and have been waiting about 10 days for it to arrive. This is because they have started using a company called Yodel (previously DHL) to deliver some goods. They dropped a card through my letterbox on Friday 3rd as I was out at work, on which it said that they only deliver Mon-Fri but that you can go to their website and change the delivery address if required. Which I duly did that Friday, to my work address since I work all week.

I get back from work on the Monday and what do I find? Another card saying they had tried to redeliver it. So I gave them a call and after a ridiculous run around with their automated system got to speak to somone who informed me that only the sender can amend the delivery details, in direct contradiction of both the card and their website. So I called Hattons who immediately contacted them to change it as requested.

Tuesday goes by...no parcel
Wednesday...no parcel

So I called Hattons again..who contacted Yodel. Now Yodel claim at first they never received the contact from Hattons, until Hattons kick up a fuss and they admit they had but had 'misplaced it'. So Hattons tell them in quite definite terms to get the damn thing delivered as requested to my work address.

Thursday goes by...no parcel
Friday..no parcel.

I call Hattons again and they discover that Yodel have returned it to them (as a week had gone by since they first tried to deliver it) and it's at the Manchester office. It finally arrives back there on Tuesday and they send it straight out - this time by Royal Mail - and I receive it next day.

I am happy..but then I open the box to have a look and without even taking the sleeve off the Dapol box I can see that one of the fine black rods directly above the drive mechanism is hanging down, snapped in two. Whether this was done originally or in the countless times the damn thing was chucked in and out of their vans I don't know... :(

I call Hattons...sorry we are now sold out..so now it has to go back direct to Dapol for repair.

The moral...do as I did and if you buy from Hattons request they do not use those cowboys Yodel to deliver your packages. I've asked them to put a note on my account. The Britannia review I was planning on my Youtube channel is cancelled and I'm pretty miffed.

R E Faust

:A1Tornado: :Carriage:

Offline painbrook

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Britannia - a tale of woe and a warning
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 05:43:42 PM »
 Miffed is putting it mildly >:( I,d be suprised if a company like Hatton's with a good reputation ,will  tolerate that for long . Think I'll cuddle up to Signal Box for a while , cheers John .

Offline zwilnik

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19730
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 06:02:27 PM »
DHHell have always been a terrible courier, which I suspect is why they changed names.

Offline REFaust

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 06:24:32 PM »
Miffed is putting it mildly >:( I,d be suprised if a company like Hatton's with a good reputation ,will  tolerate that for long . Think I'll cuddle up to Signal Box for a while , cheers John .

To be fair, Hattons have been helpful and polite all the way through this..my ire is definitely aimed at Yodel. The experience won't discourage me from using Hattons in future if they have the best deals. The Brit was 79 plus post, which is a great price. I know some people have had running issues with them but just studying it in the box it looks absolutely stunning. I hope I can get it fixed or replaced as I really want to see it hauling some new Farish Staniers and Mk1's  ;D

R E Faust

:A1Tornado: :NGaugeForum:

Offline elmo

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 06:28:06 PM »
hattons give you an option of carrier during the order process. Prior to post office stike action it was defaulted to Royal Mail. Royal Mail are now the second box down as all orders are defaulted to DHL.

Elmo

Offline OwL

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 15643
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 06:38:15 PM »
Every Cloud has a Silver Lining!, maybe its good that the model does go back to Dapol, because it will receive good attention during the fix, and tested by their own experts, it will hopefully mean that when you (eventually) receive it back, you will have no running issues.

The only downside is your waiting and numerous phonecalls chasing your model :thumbsdown:

Thanks for bringing this experience to our attentions, I will be looking at Yodels performance alot more closely now.

I hope your model turns out good, sorry to hear about your 'run around' but like I said, every cloud has a silver lining.

All the best REFaust :thumbsup:,

OwL

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

Offline REFaust

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 01:01:13 PM »
OK, fistly thanks to everyone who has posted encouraging replies...

Now an update...

I rang Dapol on Friday to ask where to send it to, what paperwork to include etc and I have to say it was the most disheartening experience. The staff member I spoke to was particularly unhelpful, actually bordering on rudeness, and told me not to send it back to them but to Hattons. When I ponted out that Hattons were only going to send it back themselves it didn't seem to register. He told me that they didn't have any replacements of 'Oliver Cromwell'...but all that has to be done is to replace a tiny part which is generic to all models. Hattons have taken up the case and I'm awaiting their advice, then I can decide whether to waste more time or go for a refund or replacement items. Perhaps the solution will be to put the Cromwell body on a 'Robin Hood' or something.

Needless to say, I have now moved from miffed to heartily p****d off with Dapol and the attitude they take to their customers. There are known issues with the running of these (just have a read around the forums) and they don't seem to give a toss.

R E Faust

:Class414: :Class414:

Offline OwL

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 15643
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 01:19:51 PM »
Im sorry to hear about your woes. I would recomend that your write a letter to the Managing Director at Dapol and tell him of your bad experience. This has always helped me in the past, always deal with the organ grinder and not the monkey!

They will soon take note when they are flooded with tons of complaint letters and people stop buying their problem ridden engines!

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

Offline SymonC

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21645
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 01:34:34 PM »
If you have bought an item that is faulty your first course of action should always be to take it back to the retailer who sold it to you.

Under the Sale of Goods Act they should offer you a replacement or refund.  It is then up to them to sort out the problem with the manufacturer.

So in one sense Dapol were right in referring you back to Hattons, there is of course no excuse for Dapol being rude!

Offline poliss

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 02:47:15 PM »
Your first port of call is with the retailer. If they do not deal with your legitimate complaint satisfactorily then you on the phone you should complain in writing using recorded delivery. If they still do not deal with your complaint properly then you should go to Citizens Advice or Trading Standards who will remind them of their obligations under the law. The manufacturers warranty is in addition to, not in place of, your statutory rights.

One of my forum members had a problem with a retailer taking his money when the model he ordered was not in stock. It was also discontinued by the manufacturer so there was a never a prospect of him recieving the model. His complaint was largely ignored by the retailer. I advised him to go to Trading Standards. They wrote a letter to the firm and he got his money back after the statutory thirty days.

Offline H

• grahamehedges
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2011, 05:16:14 PM »
So in one sense Dapol were right in referring you back to Hattons, there is of course no excuse for Dapol being rude!

Very true ....... ....... ...... ...... on both counts.

It's a sad tale...... but I've gotta admit that I don't think I would have contacted Dapol about sending it to them. That sounds like a recipe for disaster to me as it will be outside of their usual procedure/process with retailers and likely to 'get lost', 'go astray', have the wrong paperwork, not be authorised, etc., plus Hattons wouldn't be kept in the loop. As others have said the thing to do is deal with the seller and return the goods to them.

H.

Offline Tony

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 03:24:28 PM »
Hi,

Having recently posted a message about my Britannia "Robin Hood", I read the recent messages about Dapol with interest. I recently wrote two letters to Dapol's MD regarding their customer service to which he didn't respond: the letter was simply passed down their chain of command and as a consequence not acted upon. As a committed N gauge modeller, I want the manufacturers to be profitable and successful to enable them to continue production but this can only be achieved if we have confidence in their models and their customer service.  I'm afraid Dapol's customer service and quality control needs to be improved.

Tony

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 03:46:58 PM »
DHHell have always been a terrible courier, which I suspect is why they changed names.

We certainly always referred to them as "Dropped Hidden or Lost"
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline SymonC

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21645
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011, 03:52:59 PM »
I believe it was HDNL (Home Delivery Network) that were rebranded Yodel.

http://www.mrdaz.com/hdnl-rebrands-to-yodel-to-escape-bad-online-press/

DHL still exists as far as I'm aware.

http://www.dhl.co.uk/en.html

Offline klaatu

• Awards

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP