!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol Steam Class 2884 GWR lettering Review  (Read 10618 times)

Offline macwales

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Dapol Steam Class 2884 GWR lettering Review
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2013, 09:59:23 AM »
Hi

Great to hear about the 90 wagon haulage. Well done that man!! I must try to see just what it will pull, but then maybe not as it would take a long time to disconnect all the other goods trains and put the wagons behind the loco. I will never have it pulling more than 20 on my layout due to passing siding length.

I just thought I would make it clear on here that I am not connected to Dapol or any part of the hobby supply chain - just an ordinary punter (who has been somewhat critical of Dapol's and Farish's QC in the past).

However my last few purchases have been great. Farish Austerity and 3MT and Dapol (Ixion) Manor and the 2884.

Cheers

Mac

Offline Tim E

• N Gauge Society Number: 22032
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 06:21:41 PM »
Just had notification from Hattons that my BR Black Early Crest has been packed and is on its way.  Good news for those who did not order the GWR livery versions!

Offline painbrook

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2013, 06:41:17 PM »
Saw the loco on sunday (glasgow), very tasty, sadly/luckily I just could not find a reason for one on my lancashire based layout. What does the BR ono look like?. Cheers john.

Offline MinZaPint

• N Gauge Society Number: 19352
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2013, 11:17:22 AM »
Success!  :thumbsup: Postie arrived just after HID had GTW! can only echo macwales comments, looks really good and slow speed running is excellent. Now I really must get on with building my extension so's I can give it room to stretch its legs.
Cogito Sumere potum alterum

Offline Karhedron

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2013, 11:59:36 AM »
What does the BR ono look like?. Cheers john.

They look like this!

http://www.anticsonline.co.uk/1734_1_10393.html

Please note, no connection with this particular retailer. They just seem to have been first off the mark in getting photos up.  :thumbsup:
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline Paddy

• N Gauge Society Number: 10732
  • 2mm Association Number: N/A
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2013, 01:11:50 PM »
Oh no, not another lovely heavy freight locomotive... Resist, I must resist.  :worried:

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

Offline GrahamB

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2013, 03:50:03 PM »
Oh no, not another lovely heavy freight locomotive... Resist, I must resist.  :worried:

Paddy
Resistance is futile!

Offline painbrook

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2013, 05:26:36 PM »
Br black very nice, I won't succumb I'll need my money for my Ivatt 2-6-0 which arrives next week. My 'fairy god mother' wouldn't lie to me would she????:laugh3: :laugh3:. Cheers john.

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2013, 05:33:26 PM »
2MT August/September according to Bachmann
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2013, 06:27:27 PM »
2MT August/September according to Bachmann

2013 ???

Offline Karhedron

• N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2013, 01:27:55 PM »
I was running my 2884 in and it seemed quite happy for 1 hour. Then it suddenly stopped and a lot of nasty smoke came out of the tender!  :oopssign:

I have heard of it happening to others occasionally but it is a first for me. Oh well, back to the shop I guess.  :'(
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline dch05

• Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2013, 05:30:55 PM »
 :(  This happened to my Manor once - I thought it had expired - it turned out to be trouble with the tiny spring power connections from loco to tender.  After a few gingerly-applied pokes, all was well again.  I believe a tiny gap in connectivity caused a spark that sizzled some plastic, hence the smoke.

Am now anxiously watching my new 2-8-0s for similar problems to yours.  Although the power transmission is quite different from that of the Manor, the wires are really minute.  Perhaps modelmakers should go for more robust connections, even if they are more visible?  Best of luck!

Offline macwales

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2013, 11:11:51 AM »
Hi

Sorry to hear about the problem with the loco. Although my 2884 Class is still performing well and getting much quieter I have been keeping a close lookout for the Dapol surging at medium to high speeds that I have experienced with their A3 and a B1 before they stopped running.

On both these occasions I believe the problem was at least in part due to swarf debris that was very small clogging the edges of the motor magnet making the motors heat up to excessive temperature. Both these locos had to be replaced but on their replacements the swarf was still present (needed a magnifying glass to see it between the magnet and coils - loads of silver particles.) Since it was carefully removed using a thin piece of paper and a good blow with air the locos have experienced no problems so now I always look for this swarf at the first sign of any poor running or excess heat over and above that normal for a new Dapol. Perhaps I will start to examine the motors on all Dapols when new from now on.

I have run the 2884 at a fast speed occasionally just for this reason but so far no smoke, no surging and its still the coldest Dapol after running that I have.

However I do agree  with Dr Al elsewhere on here that it is fitted with the recent axle and hole slop style electrical bearings in the tender rather than the older and much better pinpoint bearings. I was surprised at this as I was hoping it was a move due to the A3 and A4 4x axle tender to assist with going round curves but its appearance on the 3 axle tender of the 2884 is a retrograde step. Presumably its a cheaper method of construction but it is problematic for pickup purposes and can cause an awful rattle when running. So Dapol please return to those excellent pin point bearings.

Cheers

Mac

Offline Elvinley

• YouTube
    • Elvinley YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2013, 01:50:14 PM »
Mine has been running in for a few days but today developed a nasty sqeak going forwards and started locking up in reverse. It has gone back to the shop.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2013, 02:03:41 PM »
Still waiting for my black late crest one from Rails :'(

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00