!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: My WPR layout  (Read 24259 times)

Offline Alex

• Trade Count: (+13)
    • Facebook
    • Awards
Re: My WPR layout
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2013, 07:39:33 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for your comments.

Caz, it's just a case of trial and error and don't overdo it. The upper photo of the two wagons only have two basic colours. A wash of white and dark grey on the black metal posts. The chassis will have a final dry brush of light brown. This is then followed by running very thin black in between the planks.

Phil, the top four photos show Peco ready to run Wemyss and Fife Coal wagons. The bottom two photos are Peco wagon kits with decals applied. You can see where the decals cover the metal bracing. I didn't do a very good job on these as there are still some air bubble under them. Still need to practice this. technique.

Alex  :wave:

Offline scotsoft

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Scottish n' Newcastle
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2013, 08:13:17 PM »
Hi Alex,

I particularly like the "Lochgelly" wagon, that is where my mum was born and I still have a cousin living there  ;)

I have a Fife wagon, in fact it was the first piece of n gauge I bought and it was only bought because of the Fife on the side and the addiction took over from there  :laugh3:  :laugh3:  :laugh3:

cheers John.

Offline Alex

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2013, 06:04:57 PM »
Hi,

It's been a busy couple of days in the shed. First off I have almost finished lining the new shed. Ran out of boards but there's enough done to let me start on the upper level layout.

I started to strip out the old layouts and it was quite disheartning to do this. All the effort that went into them seems to have been for nothing but I needed more room.

With the new shed being 13ft X 5ft it will keep me busy for a long time. I've learnt at lot from building the old layouts and hopefully I'll incorporate some new ideas into the new ones.

2 views of the old shed. The upper layout has already been removed.

The new shed with the old upper level in place. This is 52" from the floor and is slightly lower than the old layout. Only done about half the layout as I now need to buy more wood to finish the rest of it.

This layout is going to need some supports from the roof to keep the front edge from sagging. On the old layout it was quite small so there was no need but on this one the main run will be almost 10ft so it need some sort of support.

As you can see there's still mush to do but I wanted the layouts up by April so I'm on schedule.

Alex :wave:

Offline scotsoft

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Scottish n' Newcastle
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2013, 06:14:18 PM »
I can well imagine how disheartening it would be ripping out all your hard work, but as you say, you did learn from doing it so #2 will be interesting especially how you are going to disguise the supports to the roof.

cheers John.

Offline Alex

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2013, 06:28:03 PM »
Hi John,

These will be layouts number 5 and 6. The main US layout will be 10" below this one. I reckon I will need 3 supports on each long side of the shed. The ends will be fine.

I may try some angled supports underneath. Need to have a browse through the local DIY stores and see if they have anything.

Offline longbridge

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2013, 08:24:59 PM »
My thoughts are with you Alex, I have destroyed several layouts to build something new, I agree with what you have learned will help build better layouts in the future, I look at it as a type of apprenticeship.

SWMBO will go ballistic if I do it again so I copied your idea of building one layout above the other and about 15 inches wide round the perimeter of my shed, both British and have only got as far as laying the track on the new one.

Good luck with it all mate and look forward to seeing the progress.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Offline Alex

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2013, 08:34:38 PM »
Hi Dave,

Yup double deck layouts are the way to go. There's few Forum members who now run this system.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2013, 09:04:08 PM »
My first thoughts were "What a scene of destruction :o" but I am sure you'll have things looking great again very soon. It will certainly keep you out of mischief for some time :D

Offline Alex

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2013, 09:12:34 PM »
Hi Newport,

Yes it was a bit destructive but I've saved almost 80% of the scenics etc for the new layouts.

Not sure how easy the main layout will be to dismantle. It wasn't put together with the intention of coming apart again. But hey ho....I've started it so I'll finish it.

Offline Lawrence

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Closed
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2013, 09:26:33 PM »
Alex
if you use supports from the floor up to the lower level you can double the supports up as shelving supports later on.

Offline Alex

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2013, 09:31:16 PM »
Hi Lawrence,

Could do, but remember there will be a much bigger lower layout as well. It'll have to be a bracket type support or one coming down from the roof.

Offline mr magnolia

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 20060
  • 2mm Association Number: 4735
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2013, 07:01:31 AM »
Alex
if you use supports from the floor up to the lower level you can double the supports up as shelving supports later on.

Do you get much bounce from the floor though, if you prop from it? Alex boards all have that issue removed by being wall mounted just now. (I'm pondering shed options too - watching with interest!)

Online daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2013, 07:40:49 AM »
Could you use large catelever brackets 'upside down' for the upper shelf?

e.g. http://www.doorfurnituredirect.co.uk/scpro/bernards/productdetailsmore~productid~4545.htm

If it worked it would remove the need to have vertical posts interrupting the view and access to either or both layouts.

Dave G

Offline Alex

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2013, 07:15:32 PM »
Hi,

The floors not too bad. I braced it every 18" when I built it.

I'm swaying towards the bracket option myself. There won't be a lot of weight on the layout and its only 9" wide.

Keep watching, as they say.

Offline Jerry Howlett

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 11284
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2013, 12:21:50 PM »
Somehow I have missed these posts possibly started when I was visiting the Uk. Firstly great weathering the little green envy man is working overtime.

Second good luck with the rebuild. My layout looks much like that at the moment and thats just because I am a wee bit beyond untidy.
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
55% 
September Donations

anything