!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: First Layout - Edsall Central (BR Blue Era)  (Read 31834 times)

Offline Sprintex

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: CLOSED
    • Awards
Re: First Layout - Edsall Central
« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2013, 04:59:58 AM »
What he said :)

Paul

Offline 47033

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23722
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2013, 12:06:48 AM »
Work kinda ground to a halt yesterday while I was soldering. The tip to the Iron was wore right down so, seeing as I had a Radio Shack soldering station I thought I'd stop off at their store and purchase a new tip. Well, they had a range of replacement tips for various Irons but none for this one I have. The guy in the store was pretty useless and suggested I try ACE Hardware  :no:   I knew that was a waste of time, but hey, i thought I'd try it. No chance, all they had was 2 soldering irons and no replacement tips, just as I thought.

I came home and tried the internet, firstly the Radio Shack website. Found them, $4.99 each and get this $6.05 for shipping....... They are having a laugh......  Now, I bet i've done about 10 - 15% of the soldering I'm going to be doing by the time all is said and done, maybe even not that much. So, this is going to get expensive fast.

I decided to do some more research and found that another company also sells them, same soldering station (Eclipse) with their own name labels on it. Exactly the same and I found out they sell replacement tips too. I found a place in California that sells these (Electronics Expeditors) and they sell the replacement tips too. They are $2.16 each so I ordered 15 of them because orders over $25 qualify for free shipping and a free bag of cable ties.

It pays to shop around and I love the internet.

Jamie

Offline 47033

• Awards
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2013, 03:38:43 PM »
Progress has been slow lately, well a snails pace would be somewhat of an overstatement I think. Anyway, I managed to get some more wiring done yesterday and managed to end up completely frustrating myself.  I'm wiring the control panel in and did Initially get the points working, then I had a short somewhere and now nothing works.    Oh boy, back to it again today and hopefully I will be able to find this short and have it done by the end of the day.

Offline 47033

• Awards
« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2013, 03:58:27 PM »
OK, got it done, 10 out of the 11 points are now working. I think the one that's not working has a defective switch because I swapped the wires with another point and the one that worked didn't and the one that didn't did.   The scissors crossover doesn't work but that's because I had the wrong switch. I have the right (hopefully) switch ordered so that should take care of that.    Onward and upward.

ScottyStitch

« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2013, 08:41:11 PM »
Liking this thread, your plan looks even more ambitious than mine, fantastic stuff. I will be going down the basswood route for my platforms too as mine will be on curves. Keep up the good work! (although you're scaring me with the wiring........)  :'(

Offline 47033

• Awards
« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2014, 05:06:41 AM »
Work has been a little slow on Edsall Central lately. I have made some progress but unfortunately life seems to get in the way. I am out of the house long hours during the week for work so basically I only get weekends to do things and too often last minute things seem to crop up.

Anyway, hopefully I will get to work more on it and make some good progress. I have a package making it's way from Liverpool as I type this with all sorts of goodies.  More track laying next weekend hopefully.

Here's a few pictures of the layout as it sits today, one of my problems is trying to find a back scene that I like.  I want a city scene and so far have not been able to find one that meets what I like.  Oh well I guess I'll just have to keep looking.

Sorry the pictures are a little out of focus, I'll try better next time.

I have also decided that I will not have working lighting on the layout or working signals. They will all be dummy and the reason for this is that I will have enough on my plate building this without the extra wiring and electric gubbings that working signals will require.

Jamie
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 03:37:32 AM by 47033 »

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2014, 08:01:17 AM »
I've added the pictures in line for you so save people from having to keep going back and forth from you album.   ;)

All you need do to achieve this is instead of posting the http link use the BBC embed smg image code which you will find just below you picture (click on you links and you will see it) and looks like (Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)
where xxxxx is the id number of the image.   No other tags are needed, just that line of code and you will have your images inline.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 08:10:50 AM by whiteswan, Reason: typo »

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: May 26, 2014, 10:49:54 AM »
Sadly there are non modelling duties that always seem to expand to more than fill time available :(
Any progress is good, so long as the motivation remains :thumbsup:
I know from experience getting the right back scene can be a pain in the backside but hopefully you'll find something suitable soon.

Offline 47033

• Awards
« Reply #68 on: May 26, 2014, 03:28:33 PM »
A couple more pics, just a little more close up this time.

Jamie

Offline keerout

• N Gauge Society Number: 21976
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: May 26, 2014, 05:24:44 PM »
Hi Jamie,
Looking really good; specially like your shed, has that lived-in look  :thumbsup:
Gerard  :wave:

Offline Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: May 26, 2014, 09:34:31 PM »
Wonderful long platforms!

Offline 47033

• Awards
« Reply #71 on: May 26, 2014, 10:34:40 PM »
The Servicing shed and the concrete base still need a little weathering along with people and other equipment.

The class 24 has 10 coaches so as you can see I can even double head with load 10 coaches and fit it all in with ease. Single head with load 11 coaches. Only problem I have is that a class 08 will not fit into the platform. The side rods hit the platform edges, a mistake I won't make again when building my other station platforms.

Fortunately my class 03 fits without a problem so I will be using that with a match truck to shunt release the stock.

Jamie

Offline 47033

• Awards
« Reply #72 on: June 02, 2014, 04:55:34 AM »
I got the East Junction down tonight and 8 Cobalt point motors mounted and tested. They all work fine although they are not fully wired in yet. I must say there isn't much room for the Cobalts with 'n' gauge and especially those double slips. I managed to get it all in there though tight as it was. The factory droppers get pinched between the baseboard and the top of the motors but it doesn't really affect them.

Then I made a start on the West Junction. I will hopefully get a lot more done next weekend.

Jamie
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 05:11:07 AM by 47033 »

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: June 02, 2014, 12:08:18 PM »
Great to see the progress, Jamie, and I can't wait to see trains snaking through your pointwork :thumbsup:

ScottyStitch

« Reply #74 on: June 02, 2014, 12:16:09 PM »
I got the East Junction down tonight and 8 Cobalt point motors mounted and tested. They all work fine although they are not fully wired in yet. I must say there isn't much room for the Cobalts with 'n' gauge and especially those double slips. I managed to get it all in there though tight as it was. The factory droppers get pinched between the baseboard and the top of the motors but it doesn't really affect them.

Then I made a start on the West Junction. I will hopefully get a lot more done next weekend.

Jamie

Could we see the underside, with the cobalts fitted?

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £160.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Below Goal: £95.00
Site Currency: GBP
41% 
July Donations

Advertise Here
anything