!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: First Layout - Edsall Central (BR Blue Era)  (Read 31798 times)

Offline Caz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
Re: First Layout - Edsal Central
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2013, 08:57:05 PM »
Really looking forward to seeing this develop, now you know how to do it, don't forget we absolutely love  :camera: on here.  ;)

Offline moogle

• N Gauge Society Number: 5694
  • Mad as a hatter and proud!
    • PhotoBucket
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2013, 08:58:00 PM »
That'll be some layout when its in place above your garage. (We need an envy smiley!  :laugh:)
Plenty of space for scenery so the trains look like they actually run somewhere.  :thumbsup:
Personal motto: You don't have to be mad to be a modeller, but I find it helps!

My Irish layout here

My Edwardian Seaside Layout here

My Backscene painting tutorial here

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2013, 09:00:05 PM »
That'll be some layout when its in place above your garage. (We need an envy smiley!  :laugh:)
Plenty of space for scenery so the trains look like they actually run somewhere.  :thumbsup:

You mean like this Moogle  :envy:  (click on the "more smileys" link to access)  ;)

Offline moogle

• N Gauge Society Number: 5694
  • Mad as a hatter and proud!
    • PhotoBucket
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2013, 09:09:01 PM »

You mean like this Moogle  :envy:  (click on the "more smileys" link to access)  ;)

Whoops, forgot we had them!  :doh: (Note to self, engage brain before typing...  :confused2:  :dunce: :drool:)
Yes, like  :envy:  :laugh:
Personal motto: You don't have to be mad to be a modeller, but I find it helps!

My Irish layout here

My Edwardian Seaside Layout here

My Backscene painting tutorial here

Offline cudders

• N Gauge Society Number: 21730
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2013, 09:17:17 PM »
Wow..Wish I had half of that space!

Gonna be superb.

Cudders
Hoping to make a start on the layout before Xmas!!

Offline bluedepot

• Trade Count: (+8)
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2013, 10:02:23 PM »
nice dogs!

and the layout plan isn't bad either!!!

tim

Offline 47033

• N Gauge Society Number: 23722
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2013, 08:14:08 PM »
Ok, I was sat here last night thinking and it was bothering me that I didn't have a ballast/ engineering train yard. I also wanted another turntable at the TMD because I plan on running loco's with a coupling at one end only. The other will have a detailed buffer beam. So, this morning I set about making some changes which incorporates the turntable and baallast yard. The headshunt for shunting the trains doubles as a way on/off depot and I added another siding in the carriage sidings. I switched the staion tracks around too moving the dead end bays to the inside and the mainlines to the outside.

I do have a couple of worries about my boards and the joins though. There are 4 places that the boards join where the one or more of the tracks are elevated and i'm concerned about the track joints on the inclines. Has anyone on here come up against this or can anyone offer up any advice when doing this ?

I'm very happy with the track plan now although there will probably be many more minor changes made.

Offline Chetcombe

• N Gauge Society Number: 21564
    • YouTube
    • Chetcombe on YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2013, 10:57:45 PM »
I do have a couple of worries about my boards and the joins though. There are 4 places that the boards join where the one or more of the tracks are elevated and i'm concerned about the track joints on the inclines. Has anyone on here come up against this or can anyone offer up any advice when doing this ?

As you are using flex track, you won't have any problems joining track on an incline. The only thing you need you avoid is having the track joints too close to where the boards join or too close to the point where the incline joins the flat baseboard. As a rule of thumb, the closer you can have the mid-point of the piece of track to the baseboard joint, the less trouble you should have.

Offline 47033

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2013, 01:10:52 AM »
Thanks for the information Chetcombe.  I will have to adjust the lengths of certain pieces as I go to get the rail joints away from the top/bottom of the inclines and curves if possible. Which would be the best place for the track joint if I had to choose, near the crest of the incline or in a curve ? 

I've already found a problem with the new track plan, the upper bay platform in the un-named station cannot be accessed from the outer two mainlines. In fact, as sits it's virtually useless.  I'll have to remedy that next week when I get back to my computer.

Offline Chetcombe

• N Gauge Society Number: 21564
    • YouTube
    • Chetcombe on YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2013, 01:28:21 AM »
Thanks for the information Chetcombe.  I will have to adjust the lengths of certain pieces as I go to get the rail joints away from the top/bottom of the inclines and curves if possible. Which would be the best place for the track joint if I had to choose, near the crest of the incline or in a curve ? 

Joins on curves work fine. I would keep the joins away from the crest though - the closer it is to the crest the more vertical force there would be on the join. This could cause the fishplates to bend and cause an uneven joint leading to derailments and/or cause conduction problems. This is very general advice, I'm sure there are others who could give you more specific advice such as how far from the crest would be the minimum as a rule of thumb.

Good luck finding a way to link to the bay platform!

Offline 47033

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2013, 06:19:26 PM »
I'll make sure to keep the joins away from the start/finish of the inclines. 

Just ordered my 2 snow ploughs and Inspection saloon from NGS. I need to order about 6 BG's this coming week and a bunch of points so that I can move on with the track laying. I also need to start thinking about scenery and buying up buildings and other scenic items.  I'm still buying rolling stock left and right, I can't help myself.

I'm going to get some Metcalfe buildings for the back of Edsal Station and start out with that. I really love the look of the SmartModel new signalbox, maybe i'll buy that and see how I get on with it. The Scalescenes stuff looks great on the web, that new car park looks fantastic. I'm really not sure if have have either the patience or capability to construct those to any decent standards.

Offline 47033

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2013, 04:58:45 PM »
Progress has been somewhat slow lately but I have made some progress. However, photobucket seems to be down at the moment so pics will have to wait.  I've started construction of the platforms and used Scalescenes brick glued onto the sides of wooden platform structures . They look very good. I then started constructing the Platform surfaces from Scalescenes and after completing the first surface decided it wasn't what I wanted. IMO it looked horendous.  I then used Metcalfe plaform surfaces and am extremely happy with the result. I'm halfway through and have run out of the platform edges, so, an order for more will be made later today.  I constructed a wall along the edge of the platform which runs parallel to the street and that looks good too.

I've purchased some pre- built buildings from Jeff 0052 on ebay and love them. I'm building a shed load of Metcalfe buildings and while I thought this would be tedious i'm finding it very therapeutic.  I also have the Smart-Models signal box on my table here that I may get to construct this evening.  I'm thinking I may install the SEEP point motors today too, lets see how the time goes.

I've also made some changes to the layout design and I'll post a pic with descriptions as soon as photbucket is back up.

Jamie

Offline 47033

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2013, 11:29:40 PM »
Unfortunately Photobucket is not cooperating at all. I have some pictures to show of the progress so far but cannot access Photobucket at all. I'll have to look at some other way of posting them, maybe another photo hosting site.... 

Offline Sprintex

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: CLOSED
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2013, 04:44:11 AM »
Or use the upload facility on this forum? ;)

There's a full tutorial HERE on how to create your own media Album and upload pictures :thumbsup:

Paul

Offline 47033

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2013, 07:33:34 PM »

Here's the latest update with the track plan. I decided to go with 2 main track running lines and 2 relief running lines. There is a Steel Distribution Warehouse and a Freightliner Terminal.  Tha Carriage sidings now have a seperate DMU sidings and a carriage and wagon repair shop.

This is part of the Station Platform being constructed. I ran out of Matcalfe platform tops so had to re-order more. They should be here any day now.

Another pic of the same.

A view of the Metcalfe terraced homes running along the back of platform 1.  There will be a road between the houses and the platform.

The north end of platform 1 looking back to the station.

Green class 47 to be renumbered sitting in platform 1 with a solitary MK1 coach. Have built a Metcalfe cinema and have some more buildings coming this week. Also built a Smart Models modern signal box but I wasn't happy with my work. I will rebuild another next week and not make the mistakes I made with the first one. The kit itself is very good.  I will post pictures next week hopefully.   

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £160.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Below Goal: £95.00
Site Currency: GBP
41% 
July Donations

Advertise Here
anything