!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Diesels wheel cleaning  (Read 1715 times)

Offline mickey26

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Diesels wheel cleaning
« on: February 12, 2013, 03:24:50 PM »
Hi All. Can anyone tell me the best way to clean the wheels of my engines? I have a Peco electric wheel cleaner - a probe and wire brush affair - but since switching to IPA for track cleaning I don't want to use it. Afraid it scratches the wheels. I've tried cleaning with a piece of card, the end dipped in IPA, but I have to keep putting the engine on and off the live track to turn the wheels. Fiddley at best and not really efficient. Any tips on better ways to do the job would be much appreciated.  Mickey 26

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Diesels wheel cleaning
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 05:33:05 PM »
Somebody once put in pictures how they laid some kitchen roll on a piece of track, dampened the sheet with some IPA and then ran the bogies on it to clean the wheels. Sorry, but I can't remember the exact details :-[
Maybe someone can come up with it.

Offline Jack

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 06:13:06 PM »
Upnick did a tutorial, have a look here: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=913.0

At post 12 there is a youtube clip.  :thumbsup:
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

Offline B757-236GT

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24585
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 06:27:55 PM »
Do you know what, in all the N gauge diesels my father and me had the one thing we never had problems with was dirty wheels. They seemed to just repel dirt, i used to do it in the early days but realise that it made no difference. Now i just look at them if it runs a little jerkily.

Richard
You want the truth, you cant handle the truth. Welcome to the Fox news channel. (Andy Parsons)

swisstony

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 06:28:32 PM »
Somebody once put in pictures how they laid some kitchen roll on a piece of track, dampened the sheet with some IPA and then ran the bogies on it to clean the wheels. Sorry, but I can't remember the exact details :-[

I believe that was by Sprintex in the tutorials

Offline scotsoft

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Scottish n' Newcastle
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 07:13:27 PM »
Once you have your track clean and all your loco wheels cleaned you might wish to consider something like these cleaning pads I posted about a while back.  They continually keep the worst of the dirt off of the track.

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=7687.msg85644#msg85644

cheers John.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 07:34:17 PM »
Now i just look at them if it runs a little jerkily.

Richard

Cripes :o Does it have the desired result, Richard?

swisstony

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 07:36:29 PM »
Now i just look at them if it runs a little jerkily.

Richard

Cripes :o Does it have the desired result, Richard?

Maybe he is related to Chuck Norris! :D

Offline upnick

• Trade Count: (+16)
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 08:03:56 PM »
Upnick did a tutorial, have a look here: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=913.0

At post 12 there is a youtube clip.  :thumbsup:

Indeed i  did to a tutorial  as you mention Jack   ;)

It works  very well   &  of course the IPA  is  superb  for track   cleaning as well    :claphappy:

Offline B757-236GT

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24585
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 09:19:19 PM »
I forgot i was with the chairman of the pedantic society (or is it the vice chairman). SOme of my loco wheels have never been cleaned, the track doest seem to get dirtier than when they were being cleaned so why bother. I do lub the bearing and clean the comutator face but other than part failures i find they need very little servicing. Mind you i find the same with my modern OO stuff, the wheels seem to miss the crud.

Richard
You want the truth, you cant handle the truth. Welcome to the Fox news channel. (Andy Parsons)

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 10:08:23 PM »
I forgot i was with the chairman of the pedantic society (or is it the vice chairman). SOme of my loco wheels have never been cleaned, the track doest seem to get dirtier than when they were being cleaned so why bother. I do lub the bearing and clean the comutator face but other than part failures i find they need very little servicing. Mind you i find the same with my modern OO stuff, the wheels seem to miss the crud.

Richard

The chairman of the Society of Pedants surely  :D

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline Sprintex

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: CLOSED
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 05:01:56 AM »

I believe that was by Sprintex in the tutorials

Close ;)

Upnick started the thread on loco wheel cleaning and I tagged onto it with coach and wagon wheel cleaning. Thanks for remembering though :D

Richard, do you run on DC or DCC? DC tends to be more forgiving, but DCC is far more picky due to the fact there's a data signal carried as well and even small amounts of dirt can cause problems ;)

Paul

Offline mickey26

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2013, 11:13:37 PM »
Well, my wheel-cleaning query certainly got a lot of helpful answers. I like the videos from Upnick and Poliss. This method I shall certainly use. Have also fitted a cleaning pad to the axle of a Railfreight 35ton van. Plenty of room under there and the pad is unnoticeable. Works well too. I was surprised how much dirt it showed after only a couple of runs round the oval. Still have to shunt it up and down the freight yard tracks. Thanks a lot everyone. Mickey26. 

Offline Lawrence

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Closed
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2013, 08:26:31 AM »
I use the Minitrix cleaner, two or more can be connected together for longer trains (like some of the US Diesels), it sits on the track powered by your controller, I then wipe off any remaining muck with a cotton bud dipped in IPA

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £71.00
Above Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
September Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal