!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: I'm thinking of buying a Dapol B17. Reviews?  (Read 17761 times)

Offline Les1952

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9060
    • Awards
Re: I'm thinking of buying a Dapol B17. Reviews?
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2012, 08:10:22 PM »
Like all Dapol locos it needs about an hour of running forwards then another in reverse to run it in before it becomes quiet and smooth.

All the very best
Les

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2012, 09:48:43 PM »
Did you have the wrong sort of leaves on the line ::)

Must have been!  :smiley-laughing: Although some of them must still be there - the Farish V2 couldn't move more than 10 coaches!  :thumbsdown:

Based on the Farish's performance I'm seriously thinking about a long term project to build a better V2 out of a Dapol B1!

Or much simpler why not attach the Farish B1 tender-drive to a de-motored V2 with the geartrain stripped out. I suspect very easy to modify to use the existing pickups and drawbar current transfer method loco to tender. heck it'd even become DCC ready as a result too!! 

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2012, 10:04:50 PM »
Or much simpler why not attach the Farish B1 tender-drive to a de-motored V2 with the geartrain stripped out. I suspect very easy to modify to use the existing pickups and drawbar current transfer method loco to tender. heck it'd even become DCC ready as a result too!!

I'm thinking about that one. I've seen what MikeJ has done with his V2 on RMweb and I'm seriously thinking about doing the same with the detail and hiding the boiler skirt. The only problem with the Farish B1 tender is the cost (c. £50 as a spare) although you are right about the existing pickups the drawbars are compatible. The cheaper option I'm leaning towards is using a UM tender drive unit (£26!) and hacking about the Farish tender to fit it (and a LOT of lead!). That being said an unpowered V2 lends itself nicely to some lined green B1 wheels!

That leaves me with the parts of three Dapol B1's to convert into other locos!

Also did you get my PM?

Now back to our regular B17 thread!  :D

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2012, 10:19:52 PM »
Like all Dapol locos it needs about an hour of running forwards then another in reverse to run it in before it becomes quiet and smooth.

All the very best
Les

After all the comments on the B17, I decided to dig mine out for a very rare run (B17s were definitely not indigenous to The Waverley Route!). As I have mentioned earlier in this thread, mine has had somewhere around 15 hours running in total. Last time it ran it had a train of seven Dapol Gresleys which it coped with ok.

I ran it light back and forwards, plenty smooth enough if a bit "buzzy", but yes, as remembered it, a nice enough runner.

Here's the odd thing though.. I hooked mine up to a 22 vehicle train that is set up on my layout (Usually the  province of a Farish B1 or Dapol "Lemberg" these days). It comprises short wheelbase BachFarish wagons plus a new BF CCT and Dapol/NGS Stove. The B17 just sat there and span it's wheels - no forward motion at all :confused2:

Yes, all wheels were on the track (first thing I checked) and no, no wagons were derailed or had "sticky" axles.

I then thought I'd try my Ixion Manor - essentially from the same stable and similar weight and set-up - again seldom run and for the same reason as the B17. Well that loco walked away with the train no bother at all..

What to conclude? Well really I do not know. I could reasonably have expected some inconsistency with regard to what the same model and even those from the same batch would pull due to assembly inconsistencies but the variance between mine's dismal showing and Les's 67 wagons really does have me scratching my head :confused2:

Roy

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2012, 10:35:43 PM »
I'm not sure what to make of that. I think this must come down to the assembly of the model.

Personally, I am worried about the motor giving up the ghost on mine as I've read about this being an issue with the early batches (of which mine is one of). As my own model is long out of warranty I'll just replace the motor with a 1015 can motor I've got spare should this be required.

I now own 9 Dapol locos 8 of which run perfectly. The exception is a B1 which was bought as a non-runner on ebay. The only reason it was a none runner is because the previous owner had taken it apart and broken several parts in the process. It is still without valve gear (not a problem as I bought it for a conversion project) but runs and pulls as well as the rest, even in its current 4-4-2 format! I'm guessing I've been very lucky with Dapol locomotives to date...
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 10:44:32 PM by Atso »

Offline oreamnos

• N Gauge Society Number: 17217
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2012, 11:04:51 PM »
Here's the odd thing though.. I hooked mine up to a 22 vehicle train that is set up on my layout (Usually the  province of a Farish B1 or Dapol "Lemberg" these days). It comprises short wheelbase BachFarish wagons plus a new BF CCT and Dapol/NGS Stove. The B17 just sat there and span it's wheels - no forward motion at all :confused2:
Roy, while your whole post about the B17 spinning its wheels was interesting, what really caught my eye was your mention of the new BF CCT.  Have they really been released?  My usual stockist is only accepting pre-orders.

Very intrigued, I am.

Matt
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 11:07:30 PM by oreamnos »

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2012, 10:00:09 PM »
Roy, while your whole post about the B17 spinning its wheels was interesting, what really caught my eye was your mention of the new BF CCT.  Have they really been released?  My usual stockist is only accepting pre-orders.

Very intrigued, I am.

Matt

Hi Matt

Sorry to build your hopes up Matt, I meant GUV :doh:

Cheers

Roy
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 10:02:22 PM by Roy L S, Reason: Spelling mistake! »

Offline macwales

• Awards
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2012, 07:12:55 PM »
Hi

My full price Dapol B17 makes a screech at high speed but its OK at slow to medium speed so I can live with it. Just bought (today) another from Dapol's 'not quite perfect' table at their 'Nthusiast's Club open day. Took a risk but could see nothing wrong with it on visual inspection so I assumed it would have motor trouble.

I paid £15 and got it home expecting it not to run but it did! Only fault I can find is that (like many full price steamers I have) it is troublesome over some insulfrogs in reverse, but no problem forwards and no screeching and runs just warm and not hot - so it must be my bargain of the year!

Also got a Ixion Manor for £45. Plus 4 recent wagons at half price.

This has more than paid for my subs!

Cheers

Mac

Offline GWR-Kris

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2012, 02:41:11 PM »
Dapol B1's and B17's share some common components, both are prove to certain issues, but they are lovely locos, and I prefer the look of the B17 over a B1.

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2012, 09:59:05 PM »
Dapol B1's and B17's share some common components, both are prove to certain issues, but they are lovely locos, and I prefer the look of the B17 over a B1.

The general layout of both does follow Dapol's general pattern but Motor aside I am not sure they actually do have any commonality of components.

I have to agree that the B17 is the nicer of the two in terms of both looks and overall "feel" of the prototype, the B1 on the other hand is eclipsed by the far superior Farish product.

Regards

Roy

Offline Gordini5

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2012, 01:22:05 PM »
I must say generally impressed with the traction, slow speed running and detail of mine. Did have an issue which I resolved with a broken pin on the centre driver.

Anyone know what the wires are for in the detail bag ???
Totally flumoxed.

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2012, 01:25:06 PM »
Totally flumoxed.

Cylinder draincocks.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Gordini5

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2012, 11:15:34 AM »
Totally flumoxed.

Cylinder draincocks.

Cheers,
Alan

Ooh err missuss :laughabovepost:

Thanks Alan

These wires look more like handrails as 10mm plus and twisted at the ends at different angles?

David

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2012, 11:49:07 AM »
These wires look more like handrails as 10mm plus and twisted at the ends at different angles?

No, definitely draincock pipes - have a look at the image below and you'll see how they should fit into the bases of the cylinders:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4d/Stratford_Gresley_B17-4_%27Footballer%27geograph-2848722-by-Ben-Brooksbank.jpg

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Les1952

• N Gauge Society Number: 9060
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2013, 08:20:47 PM »
Just a precautionary tale regarding one of my B17s.

On the only time we had "Farndon Road" at a show in its Mark2 form (Grantham as a work in progress) I had a pair of B17s running.  Both were from the original batch with the long cylinder drain cocks (a nice idea in theory but one that didn't work well in practice).   Neither liked one particular section of the inside track where we had a right hand point off a left-hand 9" curve at the fiddle yard entry.  However many other locos refused this turn also, and it was realigned as a result of the show..

Putting them on the outside track it was noticed that they repeatedly derailed at a place where  other locos just didn't.  As a result they ended back in the loco box upside-down as all naughty locos should be.  Many rude words were said about these awful locos.

It was only at the end of the show that someone looked into the tunnel mouth from which the B17s had been exiting at silly angles to the track to find a lump of ballast above rail level just nicely placed for the cylinder drain cocks to catch on.

How many times do we blame the loco for a problem caused by poor track?

All the very best
Les

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal