!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: I'm thinking of buying a Dapol B17. Reviews?  (Read 17762 times)

Offline Paul B

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19167
    • Awards
Re: I'm thinking of buying a Dapol B17. Reviews?
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2011, 08:04:56 PM »
I'm not very good with electrics so I may have a word with BR Lines and see if they are happy to have a look at it! I hope that it can be repaired and will then run reliably - it is a lovely looking loco and suits my era and area of modelling.
LNER (and PKP) fan in the home of the GWR!

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2012, 11:06:41 PM »
Interesting to see your review on the B17.

I think I've been lucky here. My own B17 has no mechanical issues, is a little noisy but I don't mind this. I'd agree that against the Dapol A3 and B1 traction is poorer however, I can still get 10 Gresley's around the test track on the level...

No stalling issues to report, athough I have got a second one (bought as a chassis unit) which is being painted in LNER green and will eventually be paired with a GER style tender and Mashima 10-15 motor to represent the prototype 'Sandringham'. I'll be very interested at that point to discover just how the change in motor affects this models performance.

Offline PLD

• Hull Miniature Railway Society
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2012, 09:08:17 PM »
I also have to disagree with many points of that review. If that is an accurate reflection of your B17, you must have 'Friday' and the four we have between us at my Model Railway Soc are 'Monday to Thursday'.

What is especially noticable with our 4 is how consistent they are - they are are very closely matched (unlike some other batches of supposedly identical locos)

They are all smooth and very quiet at all speeds; all are perfectly capable of moving our maximum train length of 8 coaches (Farish mk1s or Dapol Gresleys) including a short 1:50ish incline (admittedly there is no need to stop/start on that) We don't have any curve sharper than approx 16" whith the B17 happily navigates, (everything does except the Farish Royal Scot when fitted with the larger wheeled bogie)

One tender did initially derail when running in reverse due to the rearmost axle being almost 1mm under gauge, but other than correcting that, none has ever required any attention other than routine wheel-cleaning and lubrication...

Paul

Offline Les1952

• N Gauge Society Number: 9060
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2012, 12:54:59 PM »
Looking at the table from Beaulzibob it is subjective but presented in such a way that on first glance it appears as professional testing.  I'm mystified by the phrase "screws holding connector rod on wheels fell off on first day of use"   My six B17s are push-fit.  The one failure I have had (out of six and after two years) needed to be sent away for repair.  A screw would have been easy.

Here are a couple of subjective unscientific test videos from this morning.  Two locos taken from the stock box at random, and neither prepared for the test.  track and wheels not cleaned.

shows the LNER one running a small train around Gresby.  Some speed fluctuation due to dirt.

[url=http://youtu.be/7lf_yaZyWCE
  shows the same train again- this time stopped for restart on a slight incline upwards.   The stuttering is due to dirt and a still cold mechanism- the loco has not been used for over a year.

shows the BR liveried one, which has not turned a wheel in over 2 years, starting the same train straight f5rom the box with NO running and NO lubrication- the worst possible thing I could do to it.

For those counting the train is 67 Dapol hoppers and a Farish brake van.  The track should be level but isn't as the shed floor isn't level.  By comparison the "haulage 9" rated WD managed 39 of the 67 hoppers on the same circuit this morning with the advantage of having just completed running in....

This reply is intentionally biased towards a loco that has shown itself reliable and powerful in service.  The LNER one has now run at 5 exhibitions without any problems, the BR at one.  Both have now been lubricated, gently run for a little while, and returned to the stock boxes.

All the very best
Les
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 12:58:06 PM by Les1952, Reason: link not working »

Offline Les1952

• N Gauge Society Number: 9060
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2012, 01:58:03 PM »
despite my best attempts the link to the middle video failed.

Another attempt-  http://youtu.be/7lf_yaZyWCE
All the very best
Les

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2012, 03:36:40 PM »
Blimey, Les :goggleeyes:

When I saw the first clip I thought you had it on a loop :laugh:

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2012, 05:57:31 PM »
Blimey, Les :goggleeyes:

When I saw the first clip I thought you had it on a loop :laugh:

Quite!  :D

That is impressive, I've not taxed mine to that extent but its good to see proof of a B17's true potential!  :beers:

Offline Donkey

• N Gauge Society Number: 22825
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2012, 06:54:16 PM »
Very impressive Les, thanks for posting the videos  :thumbsup:. I do believe the B17 won model of the year not so long ago so I reckon it must be decent  :)

Marty

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2012, 09:44:19 PM »
Having seen Les's haulage video I decided to get my B17 out and try it using the same 18 Gresley coaches I'd used with my A3's.

Surprisingly it moved them fine with a similar top speed to the A3's (no traction tyres on the B17!). I was gobsmacked as the last time I tried this loco it would move 10 with ease and 12 with slippage... What changed????

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2012, 09:50:00 PM »
Did you have the wrong sort of leaves on the line ::)

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2012, 10:36:53 PM »
Did you have the wrong sort of leaves on the line ::)

Must have been!  :smiley-laughing: Although some of them must still be there - the Farish V2 couldn't move more than 10 coaches!  :thumbsdown:

Based on the Farish's performance I'm seriously thinking about a long term project to build a better V2 out of a Dapol B1!

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2012, 09:18:03 AM »
I've never tried big haulage tests with a B17, but they've always had no trouble with what I've given them to tow.

I think they are actually underrated - they were the first Dapol loco to be offered with their now standard 5 pole skew wound motor that runs well - they are well detailed and run smoothly.

Can be noisy but this generally settles down with running (the Dapol motor can be very quiet, but seems to need a good bit of running in to get there). The only other problem seems to be tendancies to drop parts of the valve gear - I think this was worst on the first batch of models - certainly on mine the pins weren't well formed so it was easy for them to drop out!

Overall though these are a good loco IMHO.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline oreamnos

• N Gauge Society Number: 17217
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2012, 06:09:19 PM »
What happened to the review that  Beaulzibob posted?  I don't see it now.  Am I going blind?  I agree it was subjective and maybe even a little harsh but I still thought it was useful summary presented in a clear way.

Nice to see some B17s are good runners and haulers.  After exchanging mine for a Farish V2 last year I haven't tried another but based on these recent posts maybe I'll have another go.

However, can anyone comment about whether or not Dapol have improved keeping the B17's front bogie on the rails?  I'm less concerned about hauling capacity (5-6 coaches is all that will fit on my tail chaser layout) but I am very concerned about the loco keeping all its wheels on the rails on my 2nd and 3rd radius turns (and over points too, of course).

Many thanks,

Matt

Offline Pengi

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2012, 06:25:44 PM »
What happened to the review that  Beaulzibob posted?  I don't see it now.  Am I going blind?  I agree it was subjective and maybe even a little harsh but I still thought it was useful summary presented in a clear way.

I have checked the logs and it seems that Beulzibob deleted the posts along with the image files of the reviews from Photobucket as well. Bit of a shame because, as Matt said, the reviews were nicely presented.
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Offline macwales

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2012, 06:44:11 PM »
 :)Hi

I bought the Dapol B7 Middlesborough about 6 months ago.

Out of the box I found it very detailed and I like the lining and  flashers.

It was not damaged in any way and ran straight away but at higher speeds the noise from  the engine becomes verfy noticeable. OIling has made little difference  This is my noisiest Dapol, Farish, Peco or Minitrix loco I possess. However at normal (slow to a bit faster than slow) the loco noiase is not too intrusive.

My loco has not had any derailment problems and is a reasonable puller.

I like it, I have now fitted some details from the bag, including the white lamp to which I have added a white jewel.

(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

Cheers

Mac

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal