!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)  (Read 132289 times)

Offline Paddy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 10732
  • 2mm Association Number: N/A
    • Awards
Re: HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
« Reply #705 on: March 10, 2020, 12:16:45 PM »
MILITARY TRAIN - PART #10

As promised, here are a few photos showing the completed military train.  The train is being hauled by Stanier 8F (48709) through HOLLERTON JUNCTION station and yard.  The total length of the train including the 8F is 3 feet (92 cm) and consists of 11 vehicles.

Photo 1. Stanier 8F (48709) and Troop Coach.

Photo 2. Stanier 8F (48709), Troop Coach and Warflats with
Cromwell tanks.

Photo 3. Troop Coach and Warflats with Cromwell tanks.

Photo 4. Warflats with Cromwell tanks, Fuel Tanker and
Pallet Van.

Photo 5. Fuel Tanker, Pallet Van, Bolster Wagon with Land
Rover, 5-Plank Wagon with Tarpaulin Covered Load, Gunpowder
Van and DB Van.

Photo 6. Bolster Wagon with Land Rover, 5-Plank Wagon with
Tarpaulin Covered Load, Gunpowder Van, DB Van and Brake Van.

This has been a long project and the most complex one I have undertaken so far.  The help, support and encouragement from people on the N Gauge Forum has given me the strength to get this far - thank you.

:thankyousign:  :NGF:  :NGaugersRule:

This marks the completion of my Military Train project.

What next...

Comments and suggestions are always welcome.

Many thanks

Paddy
Dream | Believe | Achieve
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 01:43:03 PM by Paddy »
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #706 on: March 10, 2020, 01:40:45 PM »
Thank you very much for those excellent photographs, Paddy.

Your military train is a fantastic achievement - many congratulations.

A few other points if I may:-

I like the '8F' very much.  Is it one of the class specially balanced for faster running?  I've always liked the appearance of the '8F' class; you know how some steam locomotives just seem to 'look right'?

The photographs show what an absolutely lovely layout Hollerton Junction is.  It would be wonderful to see more.

The shed code 13C is very clever.  It reminds me of Len Deighton setting the action in his book Bomber on 31 June!

Thanks again for an excellent post.

Best wishes.

John

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline Paddy

• Awards
« Reply #707 on: March 10, 2020, 02:35:52 PM »
Hi John ( @Train Waiting),

Thank you very much for those excellent photographs, Paddy.

Your military train is a fantastic achievement - many congratulations.

Thank you although I cannot take all the credit for the photographs.  The very talented folks in the Apple iPhone camera team had more to do with it than me!  It never ceases to amaze me how capable the Apple iPhone camera is - and I only have an iPhone 6.  The latest models must be out of this world.

I am really pleased with the finish of my military train vehicles.  One of the goals was to make them look like they could have been released RTR from Graham Farish or Dapol.  These days were are supposed to weather everything but I have been inspired by Poppingham and wanted a clean look.

A few other points if I may:-

I like the '8F' very much.  Is it one of the class specially balanced for faster running?  I've always liked the appearance of the '8F' class; you know how some steam locomotives just seem to 'look right'?

Yes, 8F 48709 has the wee star on the cab side indicaitng a balanced chassis.  48709 is one of two 8Fs who reside at Shed 13C, the other being 48773 which has a Fowler tender with late crest.  8F 48773 is actually preserved although I suspect it has a Stanier tender.  Sadly, 48709 was withdrawn from service in 1967 and scrapped at J. Cashmore (Newport) the following year.

They are lovely looking locomotives and to be fair to Farish they captured the 8F well IMHO.  The later ones with blackened wheels and valve gear are even better.  I am sure the new 8F (due from Farish in due course) will raise the bar even further.

The photographs show what an absolutely lovely layout Hollerton Junction is.  It would be wonderful to see more.

Mmm, I think you are too kind Sir.  Not sure my 1st radius curves and Setrack points are fashionable these days.  ;)

The shed code 13C is very clever.  It reminds me of Len Deighton setting the action in his book Bomber on 31 June!

Hah, thank you.  There was a Shed 13C on the London Midland Region in 1950 called Heaton Mersey.  This shed was part of the Manchester Trafford Park complex.  It was renamed to 9F which is fititng as this is another of my favourite locomotives.  Shed 13C actually a combination of my lucky number (well no one else wanted 13) and "C" for the beginning of my surname.

Kind regards

Paddy
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 09:28:20 PM by Paddy »
London Midland Region

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #708 on: March 10, 2020, 03:17:12 PM »
@Paddy @Train Waiting The 8Fs were no slouches, and 48151 carries the cab star in it's preserved state......

48151 on Fellsman 6.8.14 by Mick Hollyoake, on Flickr

Offline Paddy

• Awards
« Reply #709 on: March 10, 2020, 03:32:17 PM »
Hi @Newportnobby

Great video and what a wonderful locomotive.  Good to see an 8F rescuing the poor old Class 37 at the rear.  ;)

Kind regards

Paddy
London Midland Region

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #710 on: March 10, 2020, 03:33:28 PM »
Was that a vid taken at bamber bridge ?

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #711 on: March 10, 2020, 05:42:27 PM »
Yes, 8F 48709 has the wee star on the cab side indicaitng a balanced chassis.
One of those, very occasionally, used to pilot the 12.50 from Euston to Wolverhampton.  It was one of the famous two-hour trains between Euston and Birmingham New Street, calling at Coventry.  It was always hauled by a Jubilee, the most powerful passenger loco that could run though the weight restriction between Rugby and Coventry, and usually piloted by a Stanier Class 5.  The pilot was needed because the train comprised no less than twenty four coaches, which for a two-hour train, was absolutely phenominal.  So hats off to the 8Fs!
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #712 on: March 10, 2020, 09:22:57 PM »
Was that a vid taken at bamber bridge ?

Yep - Aug 2014

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #713 on: March 11, 2020, 11:27:29 AM »
Thanks, Paddy. I understand. Whilst I now have an unpainted Dapol gunpowder van I won't be doing any spraypainting until the summer.

The completed train looks excellent.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 11:31:03 AM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #714 on: March 12, 2020, 08:52:12 PM »

Mmm, I think you are too kind Sir.  Not sure my 1st radius curves and Setrack points are fashionable these days.  ;)

Hah, thank you.  There was a Shed 13C on the London Midland Region in 1950 called Heaton Mersey.  This shed was part of the Manchester Trafford Park complex.  It was renamed to 9F which is fititng as this is another of my favourite locomotives.  Shed 13C actually a combination of my lucky number (well no one else wanted 13) and "C" for the beginning of my surname.

Fashionable!  Who cares for fashion?  And, anyway, I'm given to understand that fashion goes round in circles.  Provided the first radius curves and 'Setrack' points work well on your layout, why not use them?  I thought that the buildings in the background of your photographs are particularly fine.

Thank you for that information about 13C.  My BR shed lists are from a little later than 1950 and there isn't a '13' Motive Power District.  Nothing wrong with 13 in my view.  We lived in a house numbered 13 when I was a boy.

Anyway; excellent locomotive, excellent train and excellent layout. 

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline Paddy

• Awards
« Reply #715 on: March 13, 2020, 08:40:31 AM »
I lived at number 13 when I met my wife and we are still together 30 years later.  Now we live at number 8 which apparently makes you wealthy!

8)

Paddy
London Midland Region

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #716 on: March 13, 2020, 09:52:03 AM »

Fashionable!  Who cares for fashion?  And, anyway, I'm given to understand that fashion goes round in circles.  Provided the first radius curves and 'Setrack' points work well on your layout, why not use them?  I thought that the buildings in the background of your photographs are particularly fine.

Thank you for that information about 13C.  My BR shed lists are from a little later than 1950 and there isn't a '13' Motive Power District.  Nothing wrong with 13 in my view.  We lived in a house numbered 13 when I was a boy.

Anyway; excellent locomotive, excellent train and excellent layout. 

Best wishes.

John
Iím with John on this.
Plenty of 1st radius curves and short points on my layouts.
I couldnít fit stuff in without em  :D
As for fashion......I like not being fashionable.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #717 on: March 13, 2020, 10:51:32 AM »

@Train Waiting @Paddy
Apropos of nothing here's more '13' sheds including Paddy's 13C.......

13  Bushbury 1875
13A Plaistow 1875. 13A was then taken by Trafford Park (LMS) from 1/1/50
13B Devons Road (Bow) 1882. 13B was then taken by Belle Vue from 1/1/50
13C Tilbury 1875. 13C was then taken by Heaton Mersey from 1/2/50
13D Shoeburyness 1875. 13D was then taken by Northwich from 1/1/35
13E Upminster from 1/1/35
13F Walton on the Hill 1875
13G Lower Ince 1875

Source - BR database http://www.brdatabase.info/index.php

Offline Paddy

• Awards
« Reply #718 on: March 28, 2020, 01:35:31 PM »
BREAKDOWN TRAIN - PART #1

It was time to start a new project now the military train complete.  Bachmannís recent release of their OO gauge Ransoms & Rapier 45-ton crane had caught my attention.  What a lovely crane although the price does reflect the modelís features and fidelity.

Photo 1. Bachmann Ransoms & Rapier 45-ton Crane.

Sadly, there is no suggestion that Bachmann will release their crane in N gauge but for me the price would be a wee bit high anyway.  Now, I know the clever folks as Osborn Models have released their N gauge crane which also looks amazing, but I fancied having a go rather than opting for RTR.

Photo 2. Osborn Modelsí Ransoms & Rapier 45-ton Crane.

So, with the above and the following as inspiration, the hunt was on for a lower cost substitute!

Photo 3. Hornby Dublo Breakdown Crane.

Photo 4. Current Hornby Breakdown Crane.

A search of the internet provided several options although all were based on European or American prototypes.  Still, with a lick of paint and dollop of imagination something acceptable could emerge.  Careful studying of the available models led me to the Arnold Rapido Crane (model number 0465).

The Arnold crane looked relatively easy to disassemble and more importantly to repaint (one has to accept oneís current limitations)!  I assume the Arnold crane predates Hornbyís take-over as it is not in their current range.  After a couple of weeks scouring eBay, I finally managed to acquire a boxed Arnold crane in what looked like good condition.

Photo 5. Arnold Rapido Breakdown Crane in Original Form.

Photo 6. Arnold Rapido Breakdown Crane in Original Form.

To be fair to the seller, it was indeed in excellent condition although I suspect very old.  If I was not planning on repainting the model, then all would have been fine, but the crane bodyís plastic was quite brittle.  Even though I proceeded gently, alas one of the thinner parts of the body cracked.

My first thought was to repair the crack with filler, but this proved not to be strong enough.  My next attempt (after cleaning up the damage again) was to try the baking powder and Superglue trick.  The Superglue mix certainly repaired the crack and after careful sanding it looked OK-ish.  Fortunately, the intention is to place wasp stripes where the damage is so this should cover it up.

Photo 7. Disassembled Arnold Rapido Breakdown Crane.

Photo 8. Disassembled Arnold Rapido Breakdown Crane.

Photo 9. Disassembled Arnold Rapido Breakdown Crane.

Next time, I will cover the painting of the Rapido crane and some of the challenges this presented!

Comments and suggestions are always welcome.

Many thanks

Paddy
Dream | Believe | Achieve
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 01:39:28 PM by Paddy »
London Midland Region

Offline exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+7)
    • Awards
« Reply #719 on: March 28, 2020, 01:43:36 PM »
I have a GEM ransome rapier 45t crane white metal kit Paddy, I started hacking it up and even cut all the middle of the jib out to allow plasticard bracing to make it a bit more realistic and cut up a brake van chassis to form the jib runner with the cradle through the floor for the hook to travel in. I hacked loads of the weight relieving bogies to get it all to sit nice and track in a straight line BUT  I bought myself an Osborns model because they are PHENOMENAL,

I know you'll be chopping yours and painting her up a bit but if you ever have £150 spare you would not be disappointed with it.

Look forward to seeing this progress and your plans for it!!!

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal