!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Pitlurg Station & Glen Sharnie  (Read 2347 times)

Offline Corbie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 12314
  • 2mm Association Number: 5516
    • Instagram
    • Awards
Re: Pitlurg Station & Glen Sharnie
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2020, 06:08:00 PM »
A day of coughing, spluttering and expletives.
This might be useful to anyone who, like me, trawls through the youtube videos to get ideas. Some of the them are brilliant but only give half the information.
So, I saw this video of a chap using "styrofoam" insulation which looked like Celotex, cutting it easily with a hot wire and then going over it with a blowtorch to make it melt slightly, giving an absolutely brilliant terrain surface. Hmmm. What could go wrong?

1. First error- bought a cheap hot wire cutter. It doesn't get nearly hot enough to cut foam insulation.
2. Second error- the insulation board we have here (in the UK) is not styrofoam. Celotex, Kingspan, Quinn Board, whatever you want to call it, is evil stuff. Difficult to cut (it crumbles and releases clouds of dust) and breaks if you look at it the wrong way. And if you leave a cut piece out, the next day is has develped a slight curve.
3. Third error- going over this stuff with a blowtorch only turns it black and eventually sets fire to it. It is thermosetting and doesn't melt.

I've been chip chip chipping away (cough, splutter) sweep hoover and repeat, all day. I've ended up with the main terrain shapes blocked in. Naively I had thought I could sculpt this stuff well enough for it all to fit together, but it is too difficult. So I think the next step is glue it down and then get the plaster bandages out.

Pre-grouping steam / LNER / early BR.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2020, 07:42:35 AM »
It sounds like you might need REAL bandages at this rate.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Corbie

• Instagram
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2020, 09:43:23 AM »
It sounds like you might need REAL bandages at this rate.

Yes, well, that's another story!
Seriously though I'm having fun. The problem solving is part of what I love about the hobby. I thought it might save someone wasting money and making the same mistakes.

Offline Corbie

• Instagram
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2020, 04:23:54 PM »
A bit of progress to report.
Firstly, the control panel construction is finished, although  not wired up yet.

Wiring could be a challenge...
Also, the distillery is coming along- my first attempt at scratch-building. Not sure yet what to do about wall / roof pattern & texture, and acetate windows don't look quite good enough- will explore ideas. Advice very welcome ;)

Offline Corbie

• Instagram
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2020, 07:45:53 PM »
Time for another update.
I have been working on the terrain shape. I'm still not happy with it but it is getting there. I gave it all a coat of brown primer to unify it. I still need to soften some of the steepness out, and create a bank on the other side of the rail in the unrealistic-looking corner.
Also, my first scratch-built buildings are coming along. I'm waiting for some copper paint to paint the still, bits of brass to make guttering from, and waiting for my finials to dry.

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2020, 08:33:31 PM »
Coming on very well.
Crosswords while waiting for glue/paint to dry? ;)

Offline Corbie

• Instagram
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2020, 08:55:08 PM »
Coming on very well.
Crosswords while waiting for glue/paint to dry? ;)
The other half waiting for me to clear the table  :)

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2020, 07:48:08 AM »
That”s looking good Corbie.
I love the distillery which is coming along really well. Is that card that you are using for construction of the distillery buildings?

If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Corbie

• Instagram
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2020, 08:25:58 AM »
That”s looking good Corbie.
I love the distillery which is coming along really well. Is that card that you are using for construction of the distillery buildings?
Thanks :) I've been trying to learn from @rogerdB's excellent Wrenton buildings, and I'm grateful for the details of methods he has given. It's plasticard covered with paper printed from photographs of walls and slates. I chose the distillery to start with because the buildings are all fairly simple shapes. After this is done I have a farm cottage to do which has dormer windows  :uneasy:

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2020, 10:09:59 AM »
those scratch built buildings look great!  Looks like there is an scene from "The Blob" being filmed in the as yet roofed portion of the building :)

Scenery is looking great - I had a similar experience a couple of years back with kingspan ... evil stuff .... now only use it for the purposes it is intended ..insulating things!  which for us is the sheds and beehives

Offline Corbie

• Instagram
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: April 01, 2020, 01:16:58 PM »
those scratch built buildings look great!  Looks like there is an scene from "The Blob" being filmed in the as yet roofed portion of the building :)

Scenery is looking great - I had a similar experience a couple of years back with kingspan ... evil stuff .... now only use it for the purposes it is intended ..insulating things!  which for us is the sheds and beehives

Thanks. The blob is eventually going to be a copper still- will see how it looks when it is painted. The windows of the front reception room are quite big so I need to do the interior.
Feeling a bit poorly the last few days (just a cold) so been sitting in the warm. I discovered that Glen Garioch distillery, which my one is roughly modelled on, was ahead of its time in the first half of last century, in that they used surplus heat to warm greenhouses to grow tomatoes. So I've put together two greenhouses to add to the layout.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £30.00
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal