!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Minehead to Didcot  (Read 419 times)

Offline Nebucanezza

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
Minehead to Didcot
« on: January 25, 2020, 09:21:51 PM »
Hi all,

Ages and ages ago I posted some ideas for a layout that would represent Minehead and Didcot in the layout planning section of the forum.

Well work began just before Christmas, so itís about time I created this thread...

I have built an ďl-girderĒ frame and have laid the track for Minehead station.  Droppers have been attached and connected to the bus wire using Wago compact lever connectors, which are brilliant!

Offline Nebucanezza

• Awards
Re: Minehead to Didcot
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 09:30:59 PM »
Iíve also strategically placed some neodymium magnets under the track to use with some Dapol magnetic couplers. They are working well but I could probably do with a few more in case I want to do more than run engines around their trains.

Offline Nebucanezza

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 09:44:57 PM »
Iíve fitted an roughly painted an inspection pit like the one at Minehead. Typically it was right over a baseboard support!

I was so focussed on making sure the turntable was okay that I forgot about the inspection pit. I havenít decided yet whether to kit bash the turntable into something more like the prototype. Iíve seen a really good one on another Minehead thread on this forum, but that will be for the fairly distant future.

Next will be trying to fit and wire the 16 point motors. The trouble is I managed to destroy my soldering iron tip when soldering my droppers to the track!

I may also lay some more track to connect Minehead with the main line. In the meantime here is Priory Hall with a rake of Mk1s and Colletts. Newport Nobby may recognise the chocolate Mk1s.

Offline Skyline2uk

• Lets preserve at least one HST.....
    • My home layout thread, Filton TMD
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 09:54:07 PM »
Hi

I shall be following this because I have a great fondness for Didcot (albeit with HSTs thundering through at hi speed, 47s on Freightliners and 56 / 58s on HAAs), and also because I like some of the technical gubbins...

I am interested in your magnets. Thanks for posting the photo of the parcel / packet (already been to the manufacture website).

I have experimented with some cylindrical magnets and got mixed results. Are the ones you have really reliable? Seem simple to install?

Many thanks

Skyline2uk 

Offline Nebucanezza

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2020, 10:07:15 PM »
Hi Skyline. Yes the magnets are really easy to install: they are the same thickness as the cork sheet I have used- 1.5mm. They disconnect the trains without fail but, I have just realised that this can be a problem! Once I have parked something in a siding I canít get it out again! I think maybe some shorter ones would do the trick. As I said I need some more, so Iíll see if I can get some shorter ones and report back.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2020, 09:39:01 AM »
Good to see your purchase being put to use :)
I, too, am interested to learn how you get on with the magnets. As a thought (and without knowing the cost) would it be worth cutting one in half and trying that as some have done with the Dapol magnets?

Offline Nebucanezza

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2020, 01:48:12 PM »
Much progress to report on since January...

First an update on the magnets. They work well when disconnecting from a full train but for some uses they are a little too powerful. E.g. when I tried the couplings with my auto coach, no matter what I did, it disconnected without fail!

I have tried cutting the magnets in half, which kind of works... I get about half way through cutting one before it snaps and leaves a jagged edge and as for removing them my vice...  :veryangry: :censored:! Letís just say it hurt!

I have also finished the boards around my railway room. Excuse the mess!

Finally I have wired up 15 Seep point motors and built a mimic board. I intend to put something around the edges of the board to neaten it up but was desperate to get some trains running and do some ďtestingĒ. Fitting the seeps was made much easier by using plant labels to centre the points first.

Offline Nebucanezza

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2020, 02:30:52 PM »
I have still found some of the seeps a little temperamental but usually a couple of turns of one or other of their fixing screws and the frog starts switching properly again. The only thing that still needs sorting With the track is the pins running from the point motors into the points: I cut them with a cutting disc on my Dremmel as nothing else I had could get through them!  But I have not cut them all low enough: my 0-6-0 tank engines and Collett coaches keep catching the pins when they are set close to the track.

Offline Skyline2uk

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2020, 02:39:49 PM »
I have still found some of the seeps a little temperamental but usually a couple of turns of one or other of their fixing screws and the frog starts switching properly again. The only thing that still needs sorting With the track is the pins running from the point motors into the points: I cut them with a cutting disc on my Dremmel as nothing else I had could get through them!  But I have not cut them all low enough: my 0-6-0 tank engines and Collett coaches keep catching the pins when they are set close to the track.

I had similar experience with my SEEPs, in the end I found a special powerful pair of cutters at B&Q.

Obviously there are problems with that at the moment, but I am sure other suppliers (who can deliver) will have them.

Skyline2uk

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2020, 06:31:49 PM »
@Skyline2uk
Are the cutters B & Q own brand or another type so we can see if we can get them mail order elsewhere please?

Offline Skyline2uk

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2020, 06:37:26 PM »
Hmmm

I just tried to check on B&Q website, but itís over-crowded.

I will have a general Google because I canít recall the brand and I have long since thrown away the tag.

Skyline2uk

Offline Skyline2uk

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2020, 06:42:39 PM »

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2020, 06:50:42 PM »
Thanks for that. Price is somewhat eye watering :goggleeyes:. No wonder you're pleased with them!

Offline Safety Engineer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 11721
  • 2mm Association Number: 3923
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2020, 08:34:57 PM »
Very pleased with my pair of cutters, think they came from B&Q years ago.  They are like a pair of pincers but with longer Blue handles. The anvil has a V grove in it whereas the other jaw has a sharp edge. Bought something similar in Lidl or Aldi, not sure which, as a spare, not used them yet so can not comment.

Martin

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
92% 
July Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal