!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Researching US Railroads  (Read 2527 times)

Offline LMScat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 15724
    • Awards
Re: Researching US Railroads
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2011, 04:29:51 PM »
Hi Rod,
          Thought you might be interested in this http://carendt.morphoist.com/scrapbook/page103/index.html just scroll down to the second item.
He runs both GWR and american stock on the same layout with minor changes.

Offline Rod

• Trade Count: (+4)
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2011, 03:21:55 PM »
Yes, that's the kind of thing I had in mind (except for the GWR bit).

I haven't done much over the summer but hopefully it will be taking shape soon.

Rod

Online Belly

• N Gauge Society Number: 24152
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2012, 02:08:14 PM »
Rod,

I'm new to the forum but if I were starting over again I would approach this a little differently.

I would still like to model the transition era (1955 to 1960) but I would do a little more research into the support offered by the different fallen flag historical societies. 

I'm fortunate, in that like Lawrence, I model the B&O and the historical society has an abundance of information.  Furthermore, the quarterly magazine is also a fantastic source of excellent material.

The layout I'm designing, caters for four fallen flags; the B&O (natuarally); the Erie (who have trackage rights); the Pennsylvania (who my accomplice in modelling identifies with), and the New York Central (who interchange with the Pennsy).  All these Railroads have historical societies and the information they provide is brilliant.

Another aspect, worth considering is the availability of rolling stock and locomotives for the railroad and era you choose to model.  Some of the historical societies are very successful at lobbying the manufacturers and this generally shows in what's regularly available.

To wrap up, I would chose my era; research the historical societies on the internet; and find a place to model which takes your fancy.

I was lucky, I, like you, asked a few questions on a forum and received some excellent guidance and I've taken it from there.

Cheers.

Geoff

Offline Rod

• Trade Count: (+4)
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2012, 02:55:07 PM »
Geoff

In the end I went for Pennsylvania in the late 80s/early 90s. There are cities there called York (I live in the Yorkshire one) and Bradford (I was born in the Yorkshire one). They both have shortline railroads and interchange at some point with NS and CSX. It's coming along with (hopefully) a nice US flavour, though whether I'll find model locos for the York Railway or the Buffalo & Pittsburgh Railroad remains to be seen. I might have to resort to a paint job or two, till then I'll have to stick with Class I locos.

Oh...it's in HO. Sorry guys, I love this forum but I just didn't get on with N gauge. But if it's of any interest, I managed a reasonable HO shunting layout on the same 4ft by 1ft I was going to use for N, with the exception that the fiddle yard is added on rather than being integral.

I'll get my coat!

Rod

Offline Lawrence

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Closed
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2012, 02:57:24 PM »
Geoff - look forward to seeing your plans, will sneak in a Pennsy train I also have a Norfolk & Western (think it's a GP9TT) and after a bit of research I found out that the B&O did lease a few U25b's so I got that one from Daryl (Peak) a while back (can't remember the roadname now  :-\ ).

Don't forget you can sneak in some Western Maryland too not to mention pretty much any North Eastern Roadname on lease  ;D

Offline longbridge

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2012, 09:47:43 PM »
I studied British Railways for most of my life and always thought American locomotives were ugly.

Having spent the past 7 years messing about with American model trains I have had a great thirst for learning about their Railroads.

I have accumulated over 200 DVDs and several books about US Railroads but a couple of weeks ago went to my mates second hand model train shop and bought over 100 American "Trains" magazines dated between 1992 and 2006 for $10 or 6 quid sterling, now I have plenty to read and lots to learn.

I recommend anyone interested in American Trains but the Diesel, Steam and Railroad Spotters books from Kalmbach Publishing as they have a wealth of information.

By the way Ugly or not I now thing Yankee locos are Pretty.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Online Belly

• N Gauge Society Number: 24152
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2012, 11:32:06 PM »
Wow Rod,

I'm modelling essentially the same place.  Originally it was the BR&P, before being absorded into the B&O from 1932 and the era I'm modelling is 1955 through to 1960 (or there abouts).

The towns I'm modelling are; Johnsonburg (where the Erie and B&O shared trackage rights and interchanged with the Pennsy), Warren (where the Pennsy interchanged with the NYC), Mt Jewett (where the Erie left the trackage rights on the B&O and also interchanged with them), and Bradford (where the Pennsy had trackage rights on the B&O and the Erie had access to the town).   I'm hoping to model those towns as vignettes because I don't have a lot of space between the them.  I think there's an old rule of thumb where you attempt to have two train lengths between towns - well, the space presents a problem in that respect.

So, how did I get started.  As I stated earlier, once I had been so kindly guided in this direction, I went to a web site called "National Map" and down loaded some old maps from there.  Because they weren't strictly up to date they were excellent for my purpose.  Try this:  http://nationalmap.gov/

Because of the era I modelled, I then started collecting the Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps for these towns and using the information provided to refine my track plan.  Procuring these for your era could be interesting but well worth the effort if you strike gold.

I then went to the US last year and took copious quantities of photos (I was there for 10 days and took just shy of 1000 photos - ahh, digital cameras).  This is where I'm up to with my plan as I'm using these to further refine the plan.

For me, due to the era modelled, there is one more step, that being the National Archives and the Interstate Commerce Commission records.

Now an excellent article are was written by Henry Freeman (who also models the B&O) in the Model Railroad Planning 2001 and, I think, this is still available from Kalmbach.  It's titled: "Research in the Information Age" should you be interested.

Lawrence, once I'm comfortable with the plans, it's my intention to post them on this forum.  The challenge then will be to convert them from Cadrail 8 to a format that will be acceptable.

Cheers,

Geoff

Offline Lawrence

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Closed
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2012, 08:37:22 AM »
Handy link there Geoff, I have put that in the Knowledge Bank  :thumbsup:

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31