!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: How do you do roads/pavements/fences  (Read 13201 times)

Online AlanK

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 29032
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: How do you do roads/pavements/fences
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2020, 10:08:14 AM »
Alan - if you seek an answer from 'Southernboy' then for such an old thread it may be best to tag the lad........... @Southernboy

Ah thank you, I wasn't aware of that. Ta
Returnee to Model Railways after 38 years, last time I was 10 and OO Gauge, now 48 and N gauge.

Online Paddy

• N Gauge Society Number: 10732
  • 2mm Association Number: N/A
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2020, 10:43:39 AM »
Hi @AlanK

Another good option for N Gauge road surfaces is Dulux Weathershield All Weather Protection Textured Masonry Paint in Concrete Grey.  This can be found in B&Q etc.  On their website it states 5l and 10l pots but I got a 1l pot which lasts forever.

https://www.dulux.co.uk/en/colour-details/h_cool%20neutral/f_Textured?t=Paint&product=76399&fl-stickey=1

The paint dries the right colour and with a fine textured surface.

Hope this helps.

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

Online AlanK

• Ebay
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2020, 10:48:28 AM »
Hi @AlanK

Another good option for N Gauge road surfaces is Dulux Weathershield All Weather Protection Textured Masonry Paint in Concrete Grey.  This can be found in B&Q etc.  On their website it states 5l and 10l pots but I got a 1l pot which lasts forever.

https://www.dulux.co.uk/en/colour-details/h_cool%20neutral/f_Textured?t=Paint&product=76399&fl-stickey=1

The paint dries the right colour and with a fine textured surface.

Hope this helps.

Paddy

Hi Paddy,

Thanks for the info, I think i'm mostly sorted on the roads, with fine grade wet and dry, grey painted mixed in with some over sprays of black / white/ I'm modelling transition so the roads aren't modern tarmac so to speak.

My challenge that prompted the post was the pavements, replacing Metcalfe card pavements with Slaters and micro strip for edging, keeping it altogether is the challenge and getting a decent result, so was interested in the process that @Southernboy followed to achieve this..

Ta

Alan
Returnee to Model Railways after 38 years, last time I was 10 and OO Gauge, now 48 and N gauge.

Online Paddy

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2020, 10:50:23 AM »
Hi Alan ( @alank )

The advantage of the Dulux paint is that it is one process and there are no joins to worry about (when dry it looks like Wet 'n' Dry).  You can always weather the paint afterwards if you want some variety.

Good luck.

Paddy
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 11:03:51 AM by Paddy »
London Midland Region

Online AlanK

• Ebay
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2020, 11:24:50 AM »
Hi Alan ( @alank )

The advantage of the Dulux paint is that it is one process and there are no joins to worry about (when dry it looks like Wet 'n' Dry).  You can always weather the paint afterwards if you want some variety.

Good luck.

Paddy

I'm going to check that out as well, I've one ramp down from a bridge that I wont be able to use it on, but the rest of the town, could be a possibility.. I've 4 little sample cards I made of the various types of roads surfaces I've tried, this will be number 5 :)

Online Paddy

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2020, 03:02:45 PM »
Hi Alan ( @AlanK )

I use the paint on roads, pavements etc. where I want a tarmac look.  In other places, I use the Metcalfe paving stone card as you mentioned previously.

As always, there are many different approaches - all of which have merit.

Kind regards

Paddy
London Midland Region

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2020, 04:27:36 PM »
I'm modelling Highland country roads,  single track with passing places. 18 to  20mm wide ish..
I just use Matt grey plaster.,  when I get to finishing it, the bits the tyres run on need a slightly lighter grey shinier colour.

Foot paths not pavements, model railway  ballast  pressed into plaster with shades of grey paint.

Fences a variety of,
 3d printed plastic,,  for post and rail
Etched brass for really fine post and rail.
Laser cut card for picket fencing,
 Copper 0.6 square wire,  painted,  for the posts of post and wire along side the track.  I don't bother with the wire,  you wouldn't see it anyway.

Offline Southernboy

• Awards
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2020, 08:59:28 PM »
For my roads I've just painted them using a grey paint, given them a spray of matt varnish, then used weathering powders along the gutters.

However, my 'Holy Grail' would be to perfect the mixing of something like ballast (but finer), with a coloured plaster, to make a road surface.
I know some people suggest fine sandpaper, but roads are smooth, and only 'appear' to be textured because of the fine chippings embedded into the flat surface.
Another method I thought of was to use sandpaper, cover it with a fine slurry or coloured plaster, then rub it back to a smooth surface. But these are ideas I've yet to try.

For pavements I use the sheets of paving stones from Plasticard, and for kerbs I use lengths of Microstrip notched at regular intervals.

Hope that helps  :)

Firstly apologies for jumping onto a thread that's years old, but I've been converting my Metcalfe terraced house streets to something like the above, I've some slaters Plasticard and microstrip edging of the correct scale for pavements, but its been a tricky process, cutting gluing this all together.

Some questions :)

Did you mount these direct to the board, or as I've been trying to do glue the pavement and kerb to a backing paper/card prior to painting?.
Owing to the thinness of the slaters I've had limited success keeping them all glue safetly together (using MEK-PAK), what did you use?
any other hints and tips around this would be sorely appreciated :)..

Ta

Alan

Hello Alan,

The pavement was glued direct to the baseboard, using one of those strong impact glues. The strip for the kerbing was then butted-up and glued similarly.

For the muck along the gutter in the first photo I washed a thin strip of dilute PVA along the base of the kerb, sprinked weathering powders, left it to dry thoroughly, then brushed away the excess.

In the second picture, where the paving stones change direction, I cut two lengths of paving so they roughly slotted together at a 45 angle, then used that two-part plastic putty stuff (sorry can't remember the name) to fill in any unsightly gaps.

Hope that helps and good luck  :)

Online AlanK

• Ebay
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2020, 09:54:54 PM »
Hi,

Yes that's fantastic thanks and thanks for replying to an 8 year old thread :).

You must have had some patience to fit those, was driving me mad trying to fix them to card first, so I'll take your approach.

So are those pavements hand painted in situ?, I was going to air brush mine prior..

Thanks once again.

Alan

Offline Southernboy

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2020, 09:24:38 PM »
Hello Alan,

Yes, painted in situ. I used a light-grey acrylic (light-grey to create colour-perspective - others may prefer darker greys).

I didn't have an airbrush back then but bought one later and would probably use it on roads and other things in the future.

I think afterwards I brushed mix of weathering powders over everything to give them a slightly worn look (more on the roads as they get more wear-and-tear than pavements)

Mark

Online AlanK

• Ebay
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2020, 11:40:58 AM »
Hello Alan,

Yes, painted in situ. I used a light-grey acrylic (light-grey to create colour-perspective - others may prefer darker greys).

I didn't have an airbrush back then but bought one later and would probably use it on roads and other things in the future.

I think afterwards I brushed mix of weathering powders over everything to give them a slightly worn look (more on the roads as they get more wear-and-tear than pavements)

Mark

Thanks Mark,

I was going to airbrush, but in the end went over with a darker grey, now giving it a dry brush over in a lighter grey (it looked to similar to the road colour).

Damn it tests the patience though!

Thanks

Alan

Offline PaulM

• N Gauge Society Number: 24099
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2020, 11:53:42 PM »
Just for the record, I adopted the following formula for road colour after MUCH experimenting:

1. Use the basic fawn-coloured cardboard bought from a stationer as a base - it has a very slightly rough side to it, rather than super-smooth. The underlying base may be wood or thicker card.

2. Paint on a coat of Humbrol 64 ENAMEL, straight out of the tin.

3. When that's dry, give it a very light but complete sand, best done in a circular rather than a straight motion.

4. Apply 1-3 coats of a thin wash of Vallejo 987 Light Grey ACRYLIC. This colour actually looks more sandy than grey but dries to a slightly worn look.

This formula has also proved easy to replicate ie., if I add or change a piece of road it seems to be easy to get a colour match. 

Cheers (from NZ lock-down)
Paul

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal