I've seen the advert for this new model and note that it has a 3 pole motor. I know nothing about motors, but other new models (including Dapol)seem to have either a 5 pole or a coreless motor which are claimed are an improvement on the 3 pole.
Is the new model worth buying with what I guess/perceive to be an inferior motor?
Can't really comment on the spec of the motor being largely ignorant of such things, but I did get one of these latest releases to add to an earlier 101 release and a 108 and are all smooth, quiet, excellent runners
I don't think the latest releases are any different to earlier batches of 101s are they?
Quote from: geofff on Today at 06:46:48 PMI've seen the advert for this new model and note that it has a 3 pole motor. I know nothing about motors, but other new models (including Dapol)seem to have either a 5 pole or a coreless motor which are claimed are an improvement on the 3 pole.
Is the new model worth buying with what I guess/perceive to be an inferior motor?
It's not quite as simple as "
the more poles the better..." There are other factors including for example no of windings per pole, stright or skew-cut poles.
All other things being equal, you'd see most difference in running quality between a 3 and 5-pole in slow speed shunting operation - not a common use for DMUs!
Decent 3-pole motors are fine, I have dozens of them in my older European locos and they run perfectly smoothly.
5-pole motors will usually run a little slower and smoother at slowest speeds, especially skew-wound types.
Coreless motors exhibit virtually no "cogging" and draw less current.
There are of course good quality and cheapo motors of any type. Some of the cheapest ones have simple metal brushes (not carbon) and are designed to run primarily in one direction: they wear out and break the brush "fingers" in no time (as Hornby found out with their early TT:120 motors).