Windows 10 lockups

Started by austinbob, January 02, 2016, 07:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

austinbob

Ever since the last major upgrade to Windows 10 I've been having lockups and various BSOD's.
Anyone else had any problems recently?
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Oldman

Glad I have resisted upgrading so far.
Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

austinbob

Quote from: Oldman on January 02, 2016, 07:07:56 PM
Glad I have resisted upgrading so far.
I know what you mean. I'd like to go back to Windows 7, never had a problem with that version. Unfortunately I would have to go back to the computer factory installation to do that and then reinstall all the programs and reload all my data (which is all backed up fortunately).
That would be just a pain, the last time I did it it took 2 or 3 days to get everything up and running again.
I'll just have to hope that future updates to Windows 10 solve the problems - wishful thinking perhaps..
:'( :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Malc

I had one BSOD, caused by an old CD Rom driver. I've temporarily disconnected the drive until I get a more up to date driver.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

austinbob

Quote from: Malc on January 02, 2016, 07:33:35 PM
I had one BSOD, caused by an old CD Rom driver. I've temporarily disconnected the drive until I get a more up to date driver.
It does seem, from checking out various web sites, that old drivers have caused problems with Windows 10. Even though Microsoft say that Windows 7 drivers should work with Windows 10.
Unfortunately I don't really know which drivers might be causing problems Malc.
I'm very loath to use one of these driver update utilities, which detect old drivers on your system, as many of them are very suspect - unless you know one which is reliable and doesn't install malware and other undesirables on your Confuser.

Bob Austin

Tdm

Since the very last update - one of my Applications "Incredimail" will no longer open - and the Incredimail Support Centre are aware there is a problem and are working to find a solution.

Haven't found problems with any other software yet.

cjdodd

Windows 10 is still a long way from being a finished product and has been rushed to the market before it's ready. Its one to avoid for a year or two. Stick to Windows 7 I say.

austinbob

Quote from: cjdodd on January 02, 2016, 08:32:51 PM
Windows 10 is still a long way from being a finished product and has been rushed to the market before it's ready. Its one to avoid for a year or two. Stick to Windows 7 I say.
Too late for me I'm afraid - the way back to Windows 7 is dodgy for me!!  :'(

Bob Austin

cjdodd

After you install Windows 10 you have 1 month in which you can roll back to your previous version without having to do a full reinstall.

Google 'rollback Windows 10'

dannyboy

Sometimes, after an update, my laptop just 'hangs'. After nothing happening for 15/20 minutes, I then do a forced shutdown - press and hold the power button - and then switch back on and everything works as it should  ???. Annoying, but I find that when the computer does 'hang', it is the only way to get going again, as nothing works until the laptop is switched back on. Otherwise, I am quite happy with '10'. David.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

austinbob

Quote from: cjdodd on January 02, 2016, 08:40:36 PM
After you install Windows 10 you have 1 month in which you can roll back to your previous version without having to do a full reinstall.

Google 'rollback Windows 10'
Windows 10 was installed when it first came out. No way back now except computer factory reset - I don't want to do that.

Bob Austin

DELETED

I've stayed away from it so far.  Much as I hate 8.1 something hasn't convinced me about 10 yet.  But "various BSOD's" -is that not a bit worrying for the machine?  Only had them a few times over the years (mainly with works PC's), but BSOD was always terminal (hence the terminology), the machines were bin jobs. 

austinbob

Quote from: RST on January 02, 2016, 09:11:03 PM
I've stayed away from it so far.  Much as I hate 8.1 something hasn't convinced me about 10 yet.  But "various BSOD's" -is that not a bit worrying for the machine?  Only had them a few times over the years (mainly with works PC's), but BSOD was always terminal (hence the terminology), the machines were bin jobs.
It's not the hardware that's the bin job though. Just dodgy software.

Bob Austin

Oldman

I'm dreading it when my phone wants to update as well
Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

austinbob

Quote from: Oldman on January 02, 2016, 10:00:32 PM
I'm dreading it when my phone wants to update as well
OMG I'd forgotten about that - I've got a Windows phone - maybe you don't have to update straight away?

Bob Austin

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations