Happy thread

Started by Deleted Member, March 30, 2011, 06:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bealman

Ha ha, thanks!  :thumbsup:

Actually, with the covid 19 situation, I haven't been there for months!!  ;)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Newportnobby

A glorious afternoon so I stuck 2 fingers up to the rest of the world and went for a 30 mile ride on my motorsickle (we are legally allowed to providing we maintain social distancing). I'm not insured for pillions and the last thing I want is someone hollering in my ear/prodding me in the back! Just a circular ride without stopping anywhere other than road furniture. Apart from having to wear heavy protective clothing it was such a treat :) :)

guest311

Apart from having to wear heavy protective clothing

better not say to much about that ...

or the village people will be round  :smiley-laughing:

TrevL

Quote from: Newportnobby on May 21, 2020, 04:03:03 PM
A glorious afternoon so I stuck 2 fingers up to the rest of the world and went for a 30 mile ride on my motorsickle (we are legally allowed to providing we maintain social distancing). I'm not insured for pillions and the last thing I want is someone hollering in my ear/prodding me in the back! Just a circular ride without stopping anywhere other than road furniture. Apart from having to wear heavy protective clothing it was such a treat :) :)

You lucky b***** :thumbsup: :thumbsup:, sadly I had to give up when the arthritis in my neck stopped me doing lifesavers over my right shoulder, especially when looking through the letterbox of a full face helmet :thumbsdown: :'(.
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

guest311

thought that was what mirrors were for  :smiley-laughing:

Newportnobby

Quote from: class37025 on May 21, 2020, 05:20:07 PM
thought that was what mirrors were for  :smiley-laughing:

Sadly they don't catch every idiot who does something completely 'out of the box' and they're the ones likely to put you in the hospital (or worse).

crewearpley40

I'm pleased you could ride out and have some air without the thought of blue lights or any other idiot. Glad you enjoyed the ride

Feeling happy today; as previously reported, I have a few Poole era Farish locos that have been in storage for over 20 years. I tried to get a few to run recently but no joy, not unexpected after so long in storage. After reading about servicing locos on this forum and watching some videos on line, I decided to give it a go.

The "sacrificial lamb" chosen to undergo my first attempt at stripping and cleaning was a blue Class 08 shunter, a freebie from a friend who was getting rid of n-gauge to move into O-gauge.

I followed the advice gleaned from these pages and took photos at each stage as I took it apart and cleaned all the wheels, contacts and gears. A little light oil and grease using Labelle products and I'm delighted to say that it ran successfully.

Now re-assembled and back in the box and I'm feeling "chuffed" to say the least. Next up, the class 33 that was bought secondhand to donate the chassis to a CJM 26 kit.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed their advice which enabled my success.

Bealman

Well done! Great result with the shunter!

Now I'd be very interested to hear of your Class 33 exploits, as I also have a dead one.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Quote from: Bealman on May 23, 2020, 11:04:31 PM
Well done! Great result with the shunter!

Now I'd be very interested to hear of your Class 33 exploits, as I also have a dead one.  :thumbsup:

@Bealman Thanks. I took the 33 apart this afternoon, I had a suspicion that it might be split gears causing my problems after reading descriptions on this forum and because it jumped forward a couple of millimetres on the track when power was applied and then stopped. Sure enough, 3 split gears on one bogie truck (is that the correct word) and at least 1 on the other.

The gears are tiny though; had to view them with a magnifying glass to be able to see that they were split. Getting the contacts back onto the bogies is going to be a fiddle as is getting the spring and brush back into place, the parts are just so small.

The good news is that the armature cleaned up ok and the motor gears look clean and free from lint and hair.

I feel that I have made good progress, will have to buy some replacement gears and try and get everything back into place but I'm learning loads of things about loco assembly; really pleased that I don't work in a factory making these things! I'd be no good if my pay depended on how many I assembled in a day.

tutenkhamunsleeping

Happy Towel Day, everyone :beers:

The Q

steve836

Quote from: tutenkhamunsleeping on May 25, 2020, 08:26:22 AM
Happy Towel Day, everyone :beers:

What?    Am I missing something (apart from my marbles)?
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

dannyboy

It's okay Steve - I had to Google it.  Summat to do with Douglas Adams and 'Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy'.   :hmmm:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

steve836

Thanks Danny I should have thought of Google (Must be my marble shortage :-[)
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations