Is there anything up with Osborns Models?

Started by austinbob, March 31, 2015, 04:47:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimF

Well, I have used Osborn's a few times in the recent past, had no problem with communication, or the service. I have gotten replies to a inquiry late in my day (4PM-ish), showing me that Maurice and or Michael are putting in late hours at times. They kept a pre-order item at the original price on one item, unlike Hatton's.

Being in the US, I have used Hatton's, Osborn's and a couple of others, Osborn's wins hands down.

Jim F

robert06

Hi

I placed an order just over two weeks ago.  I got a PayPal receipt but nothing from Osborns which was unusual as in the past their service has been good.  About a week ago I emailed asking for a status on the order but no reply to date.  I was going to phone today but when I saw this thread last night I decided to wait but there has still been no communication. Guess I will need to phone tomorrow and hope there is a reply. 

If the shop has been shut due to the trade show I think a simple message on the web site would have been most helpful as I can appreciate the problems with having only a few staff. As mentioned above I would like to support our largest n retailer but it is very hard if there is a communication black out.  Currently I am not impressed and running out of patience.

Robert.

austinbob

Quote from: robert06 on April 01, 2015, 07:43:10 PM
Hi

I placed an order just over two weeks ago.  I got a PayPal receipt but nothing from Osborns which was unusual as in the past their service has been good.  About a week ago I emailed asking for a status on the order but no reply to date.  I was going to phone today but when I saw this thread last night I decided to wait but there has still been no communication. Guess I will need to phone tomorrow and hope there is a reply. 

If the shop has been shut due to the trade show I think a simple message on the web site would have been most helpful as I can appreciate the problems with having only a few staff. As mentioned above I would like to support our largest n retailer but it is very hard if there is a communication black out.  Currently I am not impressed and running out of patience.

Robert.
Pretty much the experience I've had so far although they haven't billed me yet.  Cannot get any response from them.
>:(
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Buffin

I tried Osborns for an item as Keith's site said he was out of stock. After 2 weeks, no delivery and no answer to my email chaser from Osborns, so I cancelled the order by phone.

Have now got the item from Keith (Traintrax) after all.

Webbo

In this day and age, we expect instant response to our emails. My experience is that Michael and Maurice at Osborns are marching to a slower drumbeat with respect to emails. However, I've learned that the best way of communicating with them is on the phone. This has always been congenial and effective service results. I also like Osborns website and as far as I'm concerned I see no reason to exclude them as a supplier to me. 

CarriageShed

Quote from: Webbo on April 02, 2015, 12:23:50 AM
In this day and age, we expect instant response to our emails. My experience is that Michael and Maurice at Osborns are marching to a slower drumbeat with respect to emails. However, I've learned that the best way of communicating with them is on the phone. This has always been congenial and effective service results. I also like Osborns website and as far as I'm concerned I see no reason to exclude them as a supplier to me.

Well said, Webbo. Perhaps we're just a little too quick to demand everything now, now now, and could take a step back and a deep breath...?

EtchedPixels

I'd second that - Osborn's is just a little model shop. It's just Maurice and Michael have a such a big N range and expertise everyone assumes its a superstore.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

FeelixTC

Whilst I agree that "now, now, now" is unrealistic, to leave correspondence unanswered for more than a week is poor service at best.
And I don't see the relevance of the size of the business; if you tout for it, you should service it.

I see a pattern of people excusing poor service for all sorts of (non) reasons; no wonder we get poor service/products.

Just my two penn'orth.

Agrippa

When business people don't reply to emails possibly

They're ill
They're dead
They don't give a monkeys.
They've gone bust

Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

FeelixTC

Quote from: Agrippa on April 02, 2015, 02:09:00 PM
When business people don't reply to emails possibly

They're ill
They're dead
They don't give a monkeys.
They've gone bust

And all of the above can be covered by Auto-reply. :laugh:

Agrippa

I haven't dealt with Osborns for a couple of years and then they replied to
my enquiry within a day,and I had good service from them, but according
to some posts they seem to have lost their mojo.

They may be a small family run business, however they have a
fairly impressive website and it doesn't take long to reply to an email even
if it's just "I'll get back to you asap ".

ps when I worked for Tenon Financial Group if you didn't reply to an
internal email within 3-4 hours it was a hanging offence. Tenon went
bust after falsifying their own annual report !
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

mr bachmann

they used to do a print out for a branch signal box and a bus garage , the recent one is a fire station - single appliance job  , click under kids stuff on their site , heard a rumour they may also do the church (as well as the laser kit) 

austinbob

Managed to get hold of them on the phone today and all is now sorted.
:)
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

austinbob

Quote from: austinbob on April 02, 2015, 04:28:30 PM
Managed to get hold of them on the phone today and all is now sorted.
:)
Also received very nice personal message from them and will continue to use them. Problem resolved.
:beers:

Bob Austin

robert06

Hello again,

I have now seen and replied to a personal message from Osborns so hopefully matters will be resolved soon.

I tend to agree with the comments about now, now, now, but when its 20 days since an order was placed, there has been no response from the retailer and your credit card was charged on the date the order was placed, patience begins to run out.   I would stress that I have been a satisfied customer in the past and I trust normal service is about to be resumed.

Now back to the enjoyable business of running model trains.

Robert.

Robert.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations