How do I switch to mobile view?

Started by JanW, December 29, 2018, 07:50:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JanW

I want to switch the forum view on my phone to mobile, it is very difficult to read everything in desktop view on such a small screen.
Somehow I can't change it?
Never used my phone for the forum but my tablet is away for repair.
I have an Android phone (Moto) with Chrome as browser.
Already tried to clear all browser history and made sure the box for desktop view is not ticked but I'm still in desktop view.

Jan

njee20

Down the bottom of the page, in the footer:

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Privacy Policy
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal
Mobile
© N Gauge Forum (NGF) 2010-2018

My bold. I personally always do the opposite, I can't stand the mobile view and always view in desktop mode!

JanW

I had forgotten that I already tried that too. Still in desktop view  :'(

Tank

Yes, seems to be broken still.  Will put it on the list!  My iPhone still switches over automatically.

njee20

Yes, mine does too periodically. I'm sure I've set something somewhere to say "no mobile view", certainly refreshing the page always works.

On iPhones holding down the refresh button in the address bar gives you the option to request desktop/mobile site (whichever you're not on).

JanW

Ok, I'll wait patiently then  :)
And I hope to get my tablet back soon...

Bealman

I must be a bit weird. I like the desktop view on my mobile as it's what I'm used to. It often switches to the red mobile view automatically, and I find it extremely annoying!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

JanW

Maybe I am weird?  :confused1:
On my tablet it also switches to mobile view regularly but I always switch back to 'normal'.
Had it on my phone only once and of course I clicked the desktop button immediately without thinking  :D
That was almost two weeks ago....

ten0G

:helpneededsign:

Hello,

I'm trying to access the Forum using Firefox on a mobile running Android Oreo 8.1.  I keep getting the desktop view which is too small to read. 

Is there a mobile version I can access please?  Or should I try a different browser? 

The link on the desktop view to switch to mobile produces a Not Found message, and I haven't yet found any useful facility on the handset. 

:thankyousign:

MacRat

you're right, the mobile version seems to be gone.
I was about to point out the link to the mobile version at the very bottom of each forum page, but it does not work anymore, tested on tablet and phone.

njee20

Still get it periodically on iOS, but I still always want to switch to desktop mode, so pay it little attention!

ten0G

On my old  iPod, the link doesn't do anything except refresh the page.  iOS is not upgradable from 9.3.5. 

Would it work on a new iPhone or iPad, I wonder? 

njee20

I'm on an iPhone XR and yes, if I've not been on for a day or so it always brings up mobile view.

Bealman

My Android phone switches to the red mobile view often throughout the day. For example, it's 8.15am here and I'm checking the forum while still lying in bed! Sure enough, when I logged in, it was mobile view.

I find this mildly irritating as I prefer the desktop version. I'm typing this on the phone in desktop now. I don't find the small print a problem as it's so easy to zoom in and out on the phone.

Bealman

....and there we go, in the space of an hour, I've gotten up, had a shower and it's reverted back to mobile mode. It's annoying, but I'm told by @Only Me there's no way I can stop that.

Ah well, there's worse things happening in the world, I suppose  ;)

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations