Unhappy Thread

Started by Caz, August 26, 2015, 10:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

njee20

A renewal fee sounds like an absolute swindle. I'd be moving my business on principal.

They're now not allowed to quote more for renewal than for a new business quote in equal terms (ie the days of checking a new business quote and finding it cheaper are theoretically gone). Be interesting to see how that works in practice.

Quote from: steve836 on November 19, 2022, 09:59:43 AM
It always annoys me that people are allowed to race bikes on public roads but not cars. After all roads are financed by motor vehicles so bikes are guests and should behave as such.

You're only allowed to race on closed roads, hence there's nearly always a rolling road block. So speed limits don't apply. Just like the Monaco GP as said, and various rally events countrywide. Can't even be bothered to go down the 'finances by motor vehicles' bit.

stevewalker

Unofficially, bikes are raced on open, public roads - using things like the Strava app. Riders try to beat each other's times for the same route, on different days or even to beat their own times.

stevewalker

Why does everything go wrong at once?

On Friday, my car failed its MOT (both track-rod end joints had worn and one of the four pads on the rear brakes had stuck and worn) - I spent Friday afternoon fixing it, on the drive ... and it was *COLD*!

Then the satellite TV boxes lost a load of channels, so I spent time on the conservatory roof, changing the LNB. The problem remained, so I had to go under the hall floor to deal with the faulty multi-switch.

Next the heating cut out, which turned out to be a terminal that had loosened over time.

Fixing the terminal disturbed another wire, so later on, the shower pump wasn't working.

I've still got to find one of my spare synchronous motors to fix the motorised valve under the floor, that supplies the kitchen kick-space heater and a spare microswitch to properly repair the motorised valve for the hot-water cylinder.

Meanwhile I'm trying to fit in some repainting (bathroom) and fitting worktop to wall edgings, ready for Christmas visitors.

woodbury22uk

Quote from: stevewalker on December 11, 2022, 10:21:48 PM
Why does everything go wrong at once?

On Friday, my car failed its MOT (both track-rod end joints had worn and one of the four pads on the rear brakes had stuck and worn) - I spent Friday afternoon fixing it, on the drive ... and it was *COLD*!

Then the satellite TV boxes lost a load of channels, so I spent time on the conservatory roof, changing the LNB. The problem remained, so I had to go under the hall floor to deal with the faulty multi-switch.

Next the heating cut out, which turned out to be a terminal that had loosened over time.

Fixing  the terminal disturbed another wire, so later on, the shower pump wasn't working.

I've still got to find one of my spare synchronous motors to fix the motorised valve under the floor, that supplies the kitchen kick-space heater and a spare microswitch to properly repair the motorised valve for the hot-water cylinder.

Meanwhile I'm trying to fit in some repainting (bathroom) and fitting worktop to wall edgings, ready for Christmas visitors.

"So it was on the Monday morning that the Gasman came to call". :-)
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Newportnobby

I've still got to find one of my spare synchronous motors to fix the motorised valve under the floor, that supplies the kitchen kick-space heater

Sorry for your troubles but why is everything so hard to access i.e. under floors and on roofs?

Malc

Quote from: Newportnobby on December 12, 2022, 09:14:35 AM

Sorry for your troubles but why is everything so hard to access i.e. under floors and on roofs?
If it was on the floor, you'd trip over it.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

stevewalker

Quote from: Newportnobby on December 12, 2022, 09:14:35 AM

I've still got to find one of my spare synchronous motors to fix the motorised valve under the floor, that supplies the kitchen kick-space heater

Because those are the sensible places for them.

The LNB is, of course, on the satellite dish, which needs to be high enough to see over obstructions and can only go on one wall of the house, to get line of sight, hence it has to go on the wall, above the conservatory.

The multi-switch connects the four cables from the LNB (plus a 5th from a terrestrial aerial), to 7 pairs of cables (one pair to the conservatory and others to the kitchen, three bedrooms and one pair at each end of the living room). Not all are used, but some are for future options. The cables all have to run under the floor to hide them away, so it makes sense for the multi-switch to be where the cables are. There are dozens of network, phone and alarm cables down there too, plus the hi-fi speaker cables. Until recently, there was an air ring main even! That used to connect the air pumps (in a kitchen cupboard to keep the buzzing out of the living toom) to the fish-tanks in the living room. The mains wiring, water, central-heating and gas pipes are down there too.

The motorised valves are down there because that is where the pipes split to feed the various radiators and one section of underfloor heating.

There's no point bringing pipes, wires and cables up, to install all the connections above the floor, when everything would just fill up valuable cupboard space and be very cramped to work on.

joe cassidy

You have posted on the Happy Thread and the Unhappy Thread the same day.

Your life is a roller coaster ride  :)

stevewalker

Life's full of ups and downs, but that's fine, as long as we don't go off the rails!

Graham

As an old advert on Aussie TV used state "NOT HAPPY JAN"

I just went to pull my favourite mug out of my bag to take to the train club tonight and found this  :*( :*( :*(
After getting all the way home from TINGS in 2016 and it surviving the journey round the world this happens.
Will have to work out how to get a new one now.

Bealman

Fill it up with VB and that won't happen  :D
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Graham

I only ever put tea in it, honest vicar!  ;) ;)

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Papyrus

That looks mendable to me - it's only in 3 pieces. Araldite or decent quality superglue should do it. All right, you wouldn't want to risk drinking out of it again, but you could use it to store paint brushes or the like.

Cheers,

Chris

Newportnobby

Quote from: Bealman on December 22, 2022, 04:55:36 AM
Fill it up with VB and that won't happen  :D

It was filling it with VB that caused it to happen :o
Imagine what it's doing to your innards >:D

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £70.23
Below Goal: £29.77