Unhappy Thread

Started by Caz, August 26, 2015, 10:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon898

Quote from: dannyboy on September 17, 2021, 12:39:15 PM
of course, I would have to pay any USA taxes when I buy an item,

Sales taxes here are set by each state (there is no federal sales tax) and most of those are what are termed "destination taxes", which means if an item is sent out of the state of origin, no tax is owed in the state it's sent from.  There are a few states that still work on a "origin tax" basis.  Of the (50 plus DC), 12 are still origin based (AZ, CA, IL, MI, MO, NM, OH, PA, TN, TX, UT, VA), but note that the sales tax here is usually significantly lower than a VAT in Europe.  Of the 12 greedy states noted, the state tax ranges from Missouri's 4.23% to California's 7.5%.  There are also some local, county and city taxes which up it a bit (here in NC, they add another 2.25%), but some of those don't apply to out-of-state sales (e.g. in California, state tax is "origin" but local taxes are "destination")

If we order something from out of state, from a "destination" state, we're required to declare it on the annual state tax return (or certify we haven't bought anything where we were not charged tax) and pay up with the other taxes owed, and I'm sure everyone dutifully does that  :uneasy:

Jon

dannyboy

@Jon898
That would explain why only some of the items I buy from America have tax added.  :thankyousign:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Newportnobby

Earlier on I ordered 4 x Berko 2 aspect signals from Online Models (they were the only ones who had what I wanted) and when it got to payment it said 'Pay via Paypal. If you don't wish to you can pay by debit/credit card' but I could see no way to pay by card so had to go for Paypal. It's been so long since I used Paypal I had a job remembering my password but it came to me eventually. Then, of course, their security system meant I needed a number to access my account so I had to turn my mobile on, wait for it to wake up and then go up the garden and wave the phone about to get a signal to get the text from Paypal. :doh:
They do like making life difficult for old codgers like me ::)

Bealman

Yeah, I find those SMS passwords extremely tiresome, as me phone is usually across the other side of the house from me computer.

I know I could move my phone and the password is added security, but when I'm just trying to log on to the local council to check the rates, it's hardly high risk!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Newportnobby

If I could have paid by card I'd never have needed to get paypal involved and it would have been easy peasy lemon squeezy.
It's like my internet banking - I have to enter my unique number, then 3 digits of my PIN, then 3 letters of my password. I then get sent a text to my mobile with a 6 digit access number to my account. Of course, the last bit involves more phone waving up the garden. And, at the end of the day and after all this security, there could be some scrote with a gun at my head while I go through all this rigmarole ::)
We all need security but it's no wonder some folks keep their dosh under the mattress ;D

Bealman

If I kept all me money under the mattress, at least I'd get a good night's sleep -

'Cos there wouldn't be any lumps!  :no:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

emjaybee

Quote from: Bealman on September 19, 2021, 06:43:56 AM
If I kept all me money under the mattress, at least I'd get a good night's sleep -

'Cos there wouldn't be any lumps!  :no:

Yep, those old white fivers really smooth out the bumps.
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

daffy

Quote from: Newportnobby on September 18, 2021, 04:01:19 PM
Earlier on I ordered 4 x Berko 2 aspect signals from Online Models (they were the only ones who had what I wanted) and when it got to payment it said 'Pay via Paypal. If you don't wish to you can pay by debit/credit card' but I could see no way to pay by card so had to go for Paypal. It's been so long since I used Paypal I had a job remembering my password but it came to me eventually. Then, of course, their security system meant I needed a number to access my account so I had to turn my mobile on, wait for it to wake up and then go up the garden and wave the phone about to get a signal to get the text from Paypal. :doh:
They do like making life difficult for old codgers like me ::)

Mick, looking at the Online Models website I notice they have the usual checkout wording/layout of many sites: (actual OM site order/checkout page shown)

In my experience clicking in the right-hand of the two PayPal links shown above with the Credit Card symbols, (the PayPal wording in white on the left is the one that takes you to PayPal sign in, so I suspect that is the one you inadvertently selected) should bring up a screen allowing you to choose to pay with the CC of your choice without logging in to your PayPal account. I have done this a lot even though I have a PayPal account. I'd be surprised if that Online Models link doesn't do just that, but without entering my personal details on a trial basis, I can't tell.

Hope this helps. :)
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Newportnobby

That is exactly the screen I had, Mike, but when I tried to click on the 'Mastercard' symbol nothing happened at all. As Online Models were the only source of the signals I wanted I therefore had to use the Paypal method. Thanks anyway. :thankyousign:

railsquid

For work-related reasons I have to have a conference call around this time most days with co-workers based in a hot country famous for its curry. I am pretty sure one of them works out of the local zoo, one is sitting at a major road intersection, another is submersed in a pool speaking through a scuba tube, and the last person is based in a loudspeaker feedback research institute.

???

Newportnobby

Expensive morning. Firstly the fang doctor relieved my wallet of £158 (with another £50 to go next Monday) and then petrol at Tescos at £134.9/litre so £200 gone all too quickly.
That's 2 N gauge locos (nearly)!!
Or one Farish MK1 coach :-X

railsquid

Quote from: Newportnobby on October 07, 2021, 01:38:32 PM
petrol at Tescos at £134.9/litre

:goggleeyes: :goggleeyes: :goggleeyes:

I heard energy prices were bad in the UK mind you...

dannyboy

I filled up this morning at €1.649 per litre at the garage I normally use, which, on todays exchange rate is near enough £1.40p, so petrol here is not too bad compared with the UK. What is a bit annoying though, is the fact that when I last filled up, on 23rd September, the petrol was €1.569. An 8 cent a litre increase in the space of two weeks - and we do not appear to have any problems with supplies!
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Newportnobby

Quote from: railsquid on October 07, 2021, 01:49:36 PM

Someone on the Kawasaki forum posted a few garages were selling at around the £2.40 /litre and still running out! :o

railsquid

Quote from: Newportnobby on October 07, 2021, 03:42:15 PM
Quote from: railsquid on October 07, 2021, 01:49:36 PM

Someone on the Kawasaki forum posted a few garages were selling at around the £2.40 /litre and still running out! :o

I'm pretty sure the garages in Kawasaki price their petrol in yen  ???

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations