open a safety cap

Started by bluedepot, September 19, 2011, 07:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluedepot

ok don't laugh but...

how the heck do you open the cap on a jar of 'painta cleaner' from revell????

tim

poliss

Find the nearest child and get them to do it.....or press down and turn, if they're anything like bleach bottles.

bluedepot

yeh tried all the pressing down and such like and no children on hand to pass over the dangerous chemical too!!!

i gave up and smashed a hole in the lid.... there has been some serious cursing and rage going on...

anyway the result of my painting this evening is that 'rusty rails' from phoenix precision is good but a touch too light a shade of brown for a mainline, and more suited to under used or dis-used sidings...

the next colour i'm going to test is 'track dirt'... i suspect that this is too grey though...

do people here generally just paint the rails and sleepers the same colour? i'm thinking i'll do this and then i can weather the sleepers and ballast a bit later on....

tim

elmo

1 - I have has a lid failure with one of these bottles so had to drill through.

2 - I have painted both track and sleepers the same colour. As one paint base is 'white' metal and the other is dark plastic the rail and sleeper look slightly different colours when dry so emulates real life. Also most of the colour on real rail and sleeper is dirt and dust thrown up from the surrounding area so will be a similar colour anyway hence rails in little used sidings being a more rust colour than the dark brown of the main line rail.

bluedepot

cheers elmo,

i'm just testing out a few colours before i select one for mainline tracks...

so far none are dark enough brown...

i have sleeper grime to test next...

after that i'm just gonna try standard medium to dark matt browns or such like...

i thought i'd test a few to make sure i select the right colour first time round...

yes the black plastic sleepers make the shade darker anyway as you say...

best wishes

tim

elmo

I forget which colour I used, but it was a Humbrol dark brown - not a railway related paint colour, but it looked good against the real track that i was using for my colour scheme.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations