Exibitions

Started by 4x2, September 11, 2011, 09:51:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4x2

I heard that you should not use mains controllers (all in one units - ie gaugemaster 100m) in exibitons, only low voltage units ie hand held or panel mounted, with the mains transformers on the floor - any truth in this ? I should of asked at the show, but forgot ! : ::)
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Newportnobby

Quote from: 4x2ybecauseican on September 11, 2011, 09:51:19 AM
I heard that you should not use mains controllers (all in one units - ie gaugemaster 100m) in exibitons, only low voltage units ie hand held or panel mounted, with the mains transformers on the floor - any truth in this ? I should of asked at the show, but forgot ! : ::)

It's possible there's something in elf 'n' safety about it, but certainly on some of the smaller layouts yesterday they were using cased controllers ???

poliss

Sprintex

As far as I was told you can't use SEPARATE mains transformers unless they are on the floor and well protected by non-metal casing. In other words if you are using home-made component systems. Don't know much about this method so can't really comment further.

Any of the major shop-bought systems including Gaugemaster DC controllers and the like should be OK  :thumbsup:

Paul

H

I suspect that this is another of those urban myths. In my experience of many years exhibiting (including Warley, Scotrail and abroad) I've never been given such instructions. Sure, some will do a PAT check on your equipment but that nothing to worry about. And some insist on fire proof drapes (or nothing hanging and touching the floor).

Check out this; http://www.thewarleyshow.co.uk/urban_myths.htm

H.

4x2

Thanks all ! I was told this by a mate of mine a few years ago, perhaps I got the wrong end of the stick... PAT testing should be no problem (i've done it myself in the past). With health and safety the way it is these days - you just never know what they'll ban next ! ;D

My treasured Twin track Gaugemaster can stay... ;D
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations