GWR O.13 Milk Brake

Started by EtchedPixels, March 01, 2013, 01:53:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry Howlett

For information. Farish 4 wheeler has an overall chassis length of 65mm and distance between the axles is 40mm.
There may be someting out there similar dimensions.
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Karhedron

Possibly the simplest solution is to do a cut-and-shut of 2 Peco chassis to produce something of the correct length and wheelbase. Then add the running boards out of some plastic strip.

Slightly more work but a pretty cheap option. Plus it does not matter if the join is not too tidy as it will be hidden under the body. ;) Just as long as it runs true it should the job.
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

EtchedPixels

Quote from: GrahamB on March 12, 2013, 08:14:05 AM
I like easy  :claphappy:

Thinking about the chassis, what is the difference in length between the Farish 4 wheel carriage and the brake vans (SR perhaps)? It looks like the price of the 4 wheelers has gone through the roof on "that" auction site.

You want a 63.5mm chassis at 39mm wheelbase or thereabout

One way to make a lot of chassis like this is to take a pair of Peco chassis and a saw. A pair of the brake van chassis ought to do the trick for the milk van, in fact it's one of the easier ones as the buffer to axle distance is about right already.

You can make lots of fun chassis that way - including both long six wheelers and short ones (eg Barry Railway mineral brake vans)

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

AC

Quote from: EtchedPixels on March 11, 2013, 10:11:43 PM
I'm trying to make it as easy as possible - no solder bits and to make the bending as simple as possible.

Thanks for the reply. It sounds like this could be my first play with brass then  :D . Just pre-ordered one with interest in decals.
My NGF Layout Thread: Stanley Yard; a Model Railway in a Toolbox
My NGF Workbench Thread: AC's Occasional Modelling Thread

My Modelling Blog (Multiple Scales): AC's Miscellaneous Model Mixture Blog
My Old Website: AC's Stuff

alibuchan

Managed to secure two of the required coaches yesterday for a fiver each plus post. Was quite happy at that price.

And the best thing is they don't have any couplings on them so I don't have to take a knife to them to DG couplings to them.

If the other person who has said he wants one of these wagons decides he doesn't, I will put the spare on the classifieds.

Alistair

GrahamB

I managed to get three for £6.50!  :claphappy:

Not good examples mind but the chassis on two of them are fine which is all I want.

Had to laugh when I looked at ebay.
Tonbridge MRC Member.
My Southwark Bridge thread can be found at https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38683.0
My Southwark Bridge website can be found at https://southwarkbridge.wixsite.com/ngauge

EtchedPixels

Test build thrown together quickly with copious quantities of glue

Various niggles to sort
- some of the struts are a bit too weak (I broke one building it)
- try and put in the internal wall for the guards compartment so the window views are properly blocked
- lower walls on print need to be a bit thicker (I was slightly too much of a skinflint on that 8))
- figure out why the end of shell profile slightly disagree in one area

plus the usual dimension checks and the like as it looks subjectively a little tall to me. Could just be the effect of the GWRs big loading gauge but I'd like to be sure all the images, drawings and the like tally !

(oh and for anyone looking in terror at the steps its two pieces of metal - the inside one has all the steps on it which just bend out 90° and thread through the holes in the top layer. You don't have to fit the step separately!)

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Karhedron

Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

GrahamB

It's looking good. Can't wait for it to be ready.
Tonbridge MRC Member.
My Southwark Bridge thread can be found at https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38683.0
My Southwark Bridge website can be found at https://southwarkbridge.wixsite.com/ngauge

AC

I agree, that does look nice. Can't wait for the final thing.
My NGF Layout Thread: Stanley Yard; a Model Railway in a Toolbox
My NGF Workbench Thread: AC's Occasional Modelling Thread

My Modelling Blog (Multiple Scales): AC's Miscellaneous Model Mixture Blog
My Old Website: AC's Stuff

EtchedPixels

Todays update

- various things strengthened/thickened a bit
- small correction on the sliding door sizes
- height adjusted as the profile was indeed too tall due to a scaling error

Next 3D print order should go off in a couple of days and with luck the etched stuff tomorrow and also getting the stuff the supplier mirrored resolved.

Alan

johnbart

Thanks for asll the hard work Alan. :thankyousign:
JohnB

brbluewill

just placed an order for one :thumbsup:
Where our songs are challenged we shall sing them all the louder!!!!!

EtchedPixels

Second tester arrived today and as I already have the etched bits for I've done the basic assembly, just need to do the detail parts to be sure but all looks good.

Not had any answer from Railtec on decal price quotes (beyond a reply that they are busy) but hopefully they'll do them when they get around to it. Won't be as part of the kit however.

I will need to do the actual order very shortly so pre-orders will close very soon. Need to check a couple of things with Shapeways about how they'd prefer the order then order a big box of bits.

Oh and instructions.. my favourite bit  :'(

Alan

barkfast

Just placed an order.

Thanks Alan

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations