Feedback about the forum

Started by guest2, December 01, 2012, 12:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Graham Walters

WARNING "Totally Off Topic" but relevant.

One of my colleagues we shall call "Duncan" ( real name), was convinced after some time to join Facebook and to take part in the banal and boring that goes on. It took some convincing, because like a lot of us he wasn't "into that sort of thing"

However he joined, he didn't type much, didn't like much, so it took more convincingto get him to post stuff, he had loads of friends and we had to convince him again to join in. I must state at this point that Duncan is a bit of an oddball, he see's life totally different to the rest of us.

His first offering was  ( and I've cleaned this up for a family forum)

Went to bathroom.

Very disappointed today, must be constipated, could muster anything.

Been to the bathroom again, sat there for 20mins, still nothing

Plus

Went to Asda, then proceeded to list everything he bought

Went to Cinema, then proceeded to relate the whole plot and the story, with spoilers !

this went on and on, until eventually we had all had a go at him.

His retort was, "you asked me to join"
Test Valley Models
testvalleymodels@gmail.com

Opening hours;
Monday Closed
Tues - Fri 1000 - 1700 
Sat 0900 - 1700 

Closed Public and Bank Holidays

Tdm

With regards the numerous comments about Facebook - I personally dont use it and don't intend ever doing so - but my wife does, and it does have a certain relevance when you live abroad.

For example we have 5 grandchildren in the U.K. who we don't see as much of as we used to, and instead used to "Skype" with them which was never very reliable.

However as both my wife and the granchildren have I-pads we now use Facetime to see and talk to them, and the picture is far clearer, and the sound better than Skype, and is also far more reliable we have found.

My wife also uses Facebook to keep in touch with other relatives, so it does have it's uses.

Pengi

I can also never understand why some Facebook users need to tell everyone what they are doing.

Anyway, lets get back on topic - this discussion was never about Facebook, it was about a 'Like' button ;)

Tank has said he will look into it for the future so we will need to wait and see.
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Mustermark

I honestly don't see the point in a like function when we already have the thank you. Sounds like unneceesary work. Surley the two serve much the same function... To register your appreciation of a post.

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Caz

Totally agree Mark, thank you works fine in my book, likes are just throw away half hearted things on Facebook, a Thank You is so much better.   :)
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

Malc

When you "like" something in FB it reposts the thing you like to all your friends. Surely we don't want to go down that route?
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Pengi

Please do not keep comparing us to Facebook, we are a forum - which is totally different :)

All that is being asked for is an additional button to 'like' a post - not a fully fledged 'friends' system.

I would like the opportunity to 'like' or 'favourite' a post that is about, for example, someone's model railway whilst also being able to 'thank' someone for a useful hint or tip. I certainly would never be half-hearted about liking a post on this forum.

Strong opinions both ways on this.

Sprintex

Quote from: Pengi on October 25, 2015, 04:43:28 PM
I would like the opportunity to 'like' or 'favourite' a post that is about, for example, someone's model railway whilst also being able to 'thank' someone for a useful hint or tip.

Still sounds like the same thing to me  ???

Paul

MikeDunn

I'm sadly surprised that we seem to have this "discussion" every 6 months ...

We already have a "friends" icon / tag type facility, we've been given the "@" tag, and now people are clamouring (again) for a "like" button ... instead of using the "thanks" button.

I'm with Sprintex - we have something that is used in this fashion, so why duplicate it ?  What's next ?  Adding in hash-tags ?   :thumbsdown:

port perran

I'm just bewildered by all of this !
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Agrippa

Quote from: port perran on October 25, 2015, 06:05:03 PM

You, me and about a trillion other people......
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

port perran

Quote from: Agrippa on October 25, 2015, 06:35:53 PM

I'm glad it's not just me.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Graham Walters

Quote from: Agrippa on October 25, 2015, 06:35:53 PM

I've told you a billion times not to exaggerate
Test Valley Models
testvalleymodels@gmail.com

Opening hours;
Monday Closed
Tues - Fri 1000 - 1700 
Sat 0900 - 1700 

Closed Public and Bank Holidays

Pengi

Quote from: Sprintex on October 25, 2015, 05:43:49 PM
Quote from: Pengi on October 25, 2015, 04:43:28 PM
I would like the opportunity to 'like' or 'favourite' a post that is about, for example, someone's model railway whilst also being able to 'thank' someone for a useful hint or tip.

Still sounds like the same thing to me  ???

Paul
:sorrysign: may sound like that to you but not to me - so we will beg to differ. Bit like Sciroccos and Sierras  :)  :laugh:

dannyboy

I like saying "thank you"...................................
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations