Should I buy a Class 25 ?

Started by port perran, November 03, 2013, 08:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

port perran

I have £50 to spend as a Christmas Present.
Kernow MRC have a green GF Class 25 at less than £50 in two tone green.
Not typical in any way of my Cornish branch line but they do look good.
Should I buy it ?
Of course.........Rule One applies !
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

NeMo

Just bought a Class 47 in InterCity livery at Kernow for £49.99. It's a beauty, and at least as a model train, much better than the Farish Class 25. To my eyes at least, the Farish 25 looks a bit clunky, particularly around the all-important "face".

Of course not the sort of thing you'd see on a branch line much... or would you? Perhaps hauling a nuclear flask train or some china clay wagons...?

Cheers, NeMo

(Former NGS Journal Editor)

bluedepot

what era is your branch line set in?

maybe get a class 24, 35 or a class 22 even?  if you look around the online shops or on ebay you might find one cheap...

might as well wait for the new version of the class 25 to be released which will look much better that the old one (hopefully)

tim

guest311

hattons have the blue 25 at £45, if more suited to your time scale

port perran

It's WR 59-66 so not really the right era.
Green would be my choice - not blue !

NeMo

Since Hymeks weren't common west of Exeter, a 22 would be more appropriate. The 25s were, I believe, drafted in to replace withdrawn 22s, so might not be appropriate for your time frame. So with that said, you might want to invoke rule 1 and just buy whatever loco appeals to your tastes and budget.

NeMo

Quote from: port perran on November 03, 2013, 09:31:31 PM
It's WR 59-66 so not really the right era.
Green would be my choice - not blue !
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

port perran

I already have a class 22 and a hymek so I might just invoke Rule 1 as you say !

REGP

I bought one of Hattons class 25's at £45= and found once run in its a very good slow runner and am very happy with it.

The lack of flush glazing is something I'll live with for now, but would be interested to know if there is a kit available to fix it.

Regards

Ray

ParkeNd

Quote from: class37025 on November 03, 2013, 09:23:33 PM
hattons have the blue 25 at £45, if more suited to your time scale

And BR two tone green at £45 too.

I have just had the blue one. It's a lot of loco for £45 despite the purists comments.

Newportnobby

Much has been said of the detail faults of the current class 25, but I have 3 green ones and they are super runners. I'm not knowledgeable enough to pick out the faults and if it looks like a class 25 it is a class 25 in my mind.
Better a basic model that runs superbly than a superb model that doesn't :hmmm:

guest311

Quote from: newportnobby on November 03, 2013, 11:51:27 PM
Much has been said of the detail faults of the current class 25, but I have 3 green ones and they are super runners. I'm not knowledgeable enough to pick out the faults and if it looks like a class 25 it is a class 25 in my mind.
Better a basic model that runs superbly than a superb model that doesn't :hmmm:

here here

bluedepot

I had a blue 25 and it did run v well it was super smooth.

What other diesels ran in Cornwall in this era?

Tim

Truffles

QuoteI have just had the blue one. It's a lot of loco for £45 despite the purists comments

I honestly don't think it takes a purist to see that the current 25 is just simply dreadful.

Quoteif it looks like a class 25 it is a class 25 in my mind.

maybe if I squinted and stood on my head, then it just might look like something that resembles a 25:)

H

Quote from: newportnobby on November 03, 2013, 11:51:27 PM

I'm not knowledgeable enough to pick out the faults and if it looks like a class 25 it is a class 25 in my mind.

Simply compare the model to a photo of the real thing - you'll soon easily spot the differences and errors - and then it won't be a class 25 in your mind.

IMO the old Farish model is very dated and no longer worth buying. Far better to wait for the new Bachmann version (now already produced as an EP model) which will have finer details, hopefully be more accurate and be made to modern standards with modern features like working lights, DCC ready, NEM coupler sockets, etc.

H.

EtchedPixels

Laira did have a few class 25s but they were I believe all class 25/1 and came in with the demise of the class 22 locos. They were needed to work some of the branches, particularly into the 37s arrived.

1966 wouldn't I think have seen any 25s in Cornwall.  In fact you may even need to check the modelled ones even were in service in 1966 as they are quite late numbers and the last entered service in 1967.

If you really want a Cornish 25 it might be worth waiting for the new Farish 25. That's going to be easier than all the conversions.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.23
Below Goal: £69.77
Site Currency: GBP
30% 
April Donations