Can anyone identify this loco body?

Started by Delboy, June 12, 2019, 11:29:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delboy

Not being an expert on diesels, can anyone tell me what this loco is please and if possible what era it would have belonged to?

She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

emjaybee

Quote from: Delboy on June 12, 2019, 11:29:16 AM
Not being an expert on diesels, can anyone tell me what this loco is please and if possible what era it would have belonged to?

Cripes!

I'm tempted to say it belongs to the Minecraft era!

It's not a real loco body is it? Where did you find it?

P.s. For the over 55's, Minecraft is a computer game where everything is made from block's, large and small.

:D
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

ntpntpntp

It reminds me a bit of a German centre cab diesel, of which there are several flavours with differing body styles. On the other hand might be from anywhere in the world as the model seems not "close enough".   Very blocky 3D print? Where did you find the image?

The coupling hook on the model looks like continental TT gauge?
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Jerry Howlett

Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Delboy

Thanks ntpntpntp for the helpful comment.
I was trawling the internet for something I could 3D print at N gauge and this particular item was an option and free.
It was on MyMiniFactory and labelled only as BR 211, which made me wonder whether it may be British Outline. I did say I am no expert but I can see from the photos that it is probably based on the Continental locos you have shown.
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

keithfre

Quote from: Delboy on June 12, 2019, 03:25:54 PM
It was on MyMiniFactory and labelled only as BR 211, which made me wonder whether it may be British Outline.
BR = Baureihe (literally 'construction series', so Class)

Delboy

Quote from: keithfre on June 12, 2019, 03:29:32 PM
Quote from: Delboy on June 12, 2019, 03:25:54 PM
It was on MyMiniFactory and labelled only as BR 211, which made me wonder whether it may be British Outline.
BR = Baureihe (literally 'construction series', so Class)

Thanks Kieth.
See I am learning.
Dennis.

zwilnik

It does look like it's someone's first go at making a 3D printable loco body model. As it stands it's a bit 'Lego', but if given it's a free download and something you can test 3D printing with, there's usually an industrial loco out there that something like that can be fettled into.

File off a few edges to smooth some corners, add a bit of Milliput to shape things and you've got something that might get away with representing a one-off industrial loco of some sort. If it's so you can test your 3D printer and modelling skills, then that's a result.

One other thing to watch for though, from what ntpntpntp mentioned, it might not be N scale, but TT based on the coupling in the photo. So worth checking the print sizes before wasting printer time and material.

Delboy

Quote from: zwilnik on June 12, 2019, 03:49:28 PM
It does look like it's someone's first go at making a 3D printable loco body model. As it stands it's a bit 'Lego', but if given it's a free download and something you can test 3D printing with, there's usually an industrial loco out there that something like that can be fettled into.

File off a few edges to smooth some corners, add a bit of Milliput to shape things and you've got something that might get away with representing a one-off industrial loco of some sort. If it's so you can test your 3D printer and modelling skills, then that's a result.

One other thing to watch for though, from what ntpntpntp mentioned, it might not be N scale, but TT based on the coupling in the photo. So worth checking the print sizes before wasting printer time and material.
I have downloaded the files and it is definitely N scale at 75 x 19 x 22mm and apparently fits perfectly onto an N scale Arnold chassis. Info also says it can be scaled up to TT and HO scale if required.
I take on board what you say about the possibility of tweaking it to look more like one of the true BR 211 locos.
Many thanks.

AlexanderJesse

Well the BR 211 is also known as the V100.10 and the V100 class you find here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DB_Class_V_100

Just looking at the top part I was also for a short moment thinking about the V100... but the cabin should be wider for that class... it almost looks as a mixture from a V80 (you can see a derelict of it in the background of the scrapyard foto) and a V100 and the modern (square-looking) MAK's...

In a modern area layout you really could use it as a private owned factory shunter
=================
have a disney day

Alexander

Remember: vapour is just water and therefor clean

Delboy

I appreciate the additional info.
Food for thought.
D

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations