Epson Stylus Photo R300 printer drivers

Started by EddieA, July 06, 2013, 07:26:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EddieA

Hi Folks

Does anyone know if it is possible for me to get my hands on a driver for the above printer that will work with Windows 7 please?

I have checked on the official Epson site and the closest match in the search is the R3000 which is a A3 size printer. Would this work with the R300 A4 printer?

There are several other sites offering 'genuine' Epson drivers (including the R300) but clicking on them doesn't inspire confidence that I will get what I expect if I decide to download!  :-\

OK as a Scot I admit I like to get value for money from my purchases. The R300 is presently linked to my second home built PC running Windows 98 (so you can guess how old that it!) but for photos it knocks spots off the S20 I bought a few years ago for use with a laptop! However, the PC is starting to 'grumble' a bit so I suspect it might be getting ready to fail :uneasy: 

Many thanks
Eddie
"I owe the discovery of Uqbar to the meeting of a mirror and an encyclopaedia".
(Jorge Luis Borges - 'El jardin de senderos que se bifurcan' 1941)

scotsoft

Have you tried having a look at some of the Epson forums Eddie?

Quite often they will have these driver issue covered.

cheers John.

EddieA

Thanks scotsoft and NTrain

I can't believe I spent a week trawling around trying to find what members of this Forum came up with in no time! I must find a new (search) engine, perhaps 'Rocket v1' is a bit behind the times :-[

But many thanks again to you both and if you ever visiting Edinburgh, let me know please, I'll take you on the Rose Street challenge at my expense. (Rose Street has the most pubs than any other Edinburgh Street - the idea is to start at one end, and have a drink (alcoholic!) in each one in turn and see how far along you can get...)

But seriously, many thanks again
EddieA

MikeDunn

Damn, missed the chance for getting on the Challenge ...

mind - I normally finished the Challenge be heading over to the Grass Market for a further 4 hours session  :pint: - and then work the next day  :D

EddieA

Sorry Mike - challenge is only open to amateurs (it would cost me less!) :beers:

scotsoft

I did the challenge a few times over 40 years ago, I doubt I could walk Rose Street from one end to the other these days far less consume alcohol at the same time  :help:

cheers John.

MikeDunn

LOL, me either these days  :(  There used to be a fantastic steak house half-way down the return leg, Get Stuffed it was called ... happy days  :beers:

If I end up in Toon at a loose end, we'll have to see if we can handle the Bigg Market, John  :thumbsup:

lil chris

Hi there glad you managed to find drivers for your R300. I have one of those somewhere in a cupboard not used for years since I uprated my OS and found I could not use the software anymore for printing cd's etc. I contacted Epson and they told me they where not upgrading the software for that model even though it was only a couple of years old. I decided then never to buy Epson printers ever again. I am happy with my Hp all in one,its been brilliant and cheaper to run.
Lil Chris
My new layout  East Lancashire Railway
My old layout was Irwell Valley Railway.
Layout previous was East Lancashire Lines, changed this new one. My new layout here.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57193.0

EddieA

Quote from: lil chris on July 08, 2013, 11:27:12 PM
Hi there glad you managed to find drivers for your R300. I have one of those somewhere in a cupboard not used for years since I uprated my OS and found I could not use the software anymore for printing cd's etc. I contacted Epson and they told me they where not upgrading the software for that model even though it was only a couple of years old. I decided then never to buy Epson printers ever again. I am happy with my Hp all in one,its been brilliant and cheaper to run.

Hi.
Unfortunately it is a case of 'so close'. The most up to date driver listed was for XP so I thought, no problem, install that and then get Windoze 7 to run it in compatibility mode.

But when I tried to install the driver this afternoon all I get is a message that 'this printer is incompatible with your operating system'!

I don't know if there is any way I can fool W7 into loading it (I might try and find a friendly IT person at work and offer a few beers).

EddieA

lil chris

best of luck mate,I could print with mine but could no longer use the supplied software disabling half the features I had bought the printer for in the first place.I have a HP printer now, still using all the software which was updated to Windows 7,so I am happy with that. Epson dont seem to care, they just seem to think we can all afford to buy a new printer every time a new OS comes out.
Lil Chris
My new layout  East Lancashire Railway
My old layout was Irwell Valley Railway.
Layout previous was East Lancashire Lines, changed this new one. My new layout here.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57193.0

EtchedPixels

Had similar problems with my Dad's Dell printer. On the other hand his ancient Brother printer had drivers!
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

EddieA

Quote from: lil chris on July 09, 2013, 09:07:38 PM
best of luck mate,I could print with mine but could no longer use the supplied software disabling half the features I had bought the printer for in the first place.I have a HP printer now, still using all the software which was updated to Windows 7,so I am happy with that. Epson dont seem to care, they just seem to think we can all afford to buy a new printer every time a new OS comes out.

I waylaid a friendly IT type at work and he suggested that it might be worth trying downloading some of the current Epson drivers as sometimes one just might be compatible with older kit. From what I saw earlier there is a R3000 printer (A3 size, as opposed to the A4 R300). I might give that a try for starters.
If not the other option would be to buy a refurbished XP machine and just use it for printing photos, might be cheaper than dumping a perfectly serviceable printer, several sets of cartridges and buying a new printer? Also maybe more 'green' - I wonder if Epson and the like have thought of that!

I agree about the fact that some suppliers take the opportunity to make money - I have always used Epson printers but recently bought a basic HP for the other half, seems a very good machine. I might have a look and see what they do in the photo range. Also Microsoft themselves - Vista had a very good basic Moviemaker programme included free - not there in W7 and if you download it from 'Essentials' the new version is not a patch, but I understand that you can buy the full version... :veryangry:  But I am slowly getting to grips with Adobe Premier.

MikeDunn

Well ... printers are dirt cheap ... it's the inks that are the expensive aspect.  The mfrs know that people are reluctant to change printers hence they artificially lower those costs but inflate the running costs :(

Unless you have a lot of carts for your printer, I'd suggest looking around for a new one that does what you want, and then check both the mfr and 3rd-party ink costs until you find a combo that suits.

Mike

EtchedPixels

If you are going to be doing any significant volume of material look at laser printers too. Upfront cost is higher but they last a lot longer and the cost per page is far lower.

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations