Most odd/funny overheard at an exhibition.

Started by Timbo66, November 16, 2023, 11:51:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Morris

I find it amusing in a gritted teeth sort of way at exhibitions when people tell me my signal box is in the wrong place. They say it should be
                                                  here and not over                                there.

The reason they say that can be seen in this link https://www.railwaymedia.co.uk/Rail/Miscellaneous/Signalling/Western/i-mDLsQ5F/A
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Gordon

Quote from: GrahamB on November 17, 2023, 01:27:15 PMAlthough I don't model exact locations, I love it when someone says something I've built isn't prototypical - and I produce the photos of a real life example.

I love the opposite. I've shown my French outline [my layouts are always 'based on location X' not 'exact to scale location X'] a few times in France and been told things like "oh yes I used to live in that village just there" or "yes I know that section of railway"
Sometime Publicity Officer, N Gauge Society

Swiss Railways Consultant
French Railways Consultant
European railway expert

First British N loco (in 1972): Farish GER Holden tank!
Modelling French N gauge since 1975
Modelling Swiss and German N gauge since 1971

Dorsetmike

Not overheard, but somewhat noticeable at Bristol and some other shows in the area, late 80s/early 90s, a chap with Ian Allan ABC books ticking off numbers of locos on layouts.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

GrahamB

Quote from: Gordon on November 21, 2023, 01:22:41 AM
Quote from: GrahamB on November 17, 2023, 01:27:15 PMAlthough I don't model exact locations, I love it when someone says something I've built isn't prototypical - and I produce the photos of a real life example.

I love the opposite. I've shown my French outline [my layouts are always 'based on location X' not 'exact to scale location X'] a few times in France and been told things like "oh yes I used to live in that village just there" or "yes I know that section of railway"
I had to walk away pretending I had a cough once when someone started to tell their grandson (I assume) how he remembered driving into Southwark Bridge station back in the 70's.............
Tonbridge MRC Member.
My Southwark Bridge thread can be found at https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38683.0
My Southwark Bridge website can be found at https://southwarkbridge.wixsite.com/ngauge

Gordon

Quote from: Dorsetmike on November 21, 2023, 11:59:21 AMNot overheard, but somewhat noticeable at Bristol and some other shows in the area, late 80s/early 90s, a chap with Ian Allan ABC books ticking off numbers of locos on layouts.

There was a gent who did the same at south east area shows
Sometime Publicity Officer, N Gauge Society

Swiss Railways Consultant
French Railways Consultant
European railway expert

First British N loco (in 1972): Farish GER Holden tank!
Modelling French N gauge since 1975
Modelling Swiss and German N gauge since 1971

Foxhound

Quote from: Chris Morris on November 20, 2023, 07:48:26 PMI find it amusing in a gritted teeth sort of way at exhibitions when people tell me my signal box is in the wrong place. They say it should be
                                                  here and not over                                there.

The reason they say that can be seen in this link https://www.railwaymedia.co.uk/Rail/Miscellaneous/Signalling/Western/i-mDLsQ5F/A

Oh, the happy days of Dawlish Warren Museum, collecting postcards, books and stickers, watching their layout and running outside to watch the real thing go by...
Rob and Becky (artistic director)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations