First Generation EMUs

Started by Ed, November 08, 2023, 03:03:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NTrain

www.n-train.net

We have been advertising and supporting NGF since the beginning, although my advert has gone since the upgrade.

Bealman

Have you checked with Tank? I saw the ad on my phone the other day.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Ed

Quote from: AndyRA on November 08, 2023, 11:10:14 PMWhere there's a will there's a way as they say. If I had waited for a lot of these early EMUs to appear in RTR form I would still be waiting to build my layout.

Wow! looks great.

Are they all kits Andy or totally scratch built?

Ed

crewearpley40

Stunning work @AndyRA

Good question posed by Ed. Love the 304 and 310

The 309 In Maroon looks like she us heading for Wolverton works

Chris

martyn

@Bob

The 309s were fitted with Commonwealth bogies, at least when built. I don't know if they had B4 conversions later.

Martyn

Adam1701D

The 309s were Commonwealth throughout their careers.

If you fancy a 304/5/8 and aren't averse to a bit of modelling, N-Train cabs on stripped Mark 1 coaches with Electra vinyls is the way to go. I believe Worsley Works also do etches.

Hopefully Electra should be back in full swing this month.
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

crewearpley40

Martyn @martyn

All 309s were built with commonwealth bogies. The only exception was W59831 which originally was part of a WR class 123 and was converted to a Griddle Car. This was the only vehicle In all 309 units not to have commonwealth bogies

Bob G

Quote from: martyn on November 09, 2023, 09:12:27 AM@Bob

The 309s were fitted with Commonwealth bogies, at least when built. I don't know if they had B4 conversions later.

Martyn

My bad. I must have seen a modified Minitrix rake and it became stuck in my head that they had B4 bogies.

03piggs

Hi all,

Did some research into the ER based units when I produced 'Modelling East Anglias Railways in N' Document (Shameless plug; link below  :D )
Here's the EMUs in brief;

302- Couldn't find any models for this one.

303- N-Train (3d Print) & Snowwolflair (3d Print)

304- N-Train Cabs (3d Print), with Electra Sides on old Farish Coaches.

305- See 304

306- Recreation21 (3d Print) Think they did a 1500v dc & ac conversion versions but can't remember now.

307- Worsley Works kit

308- See 304

309- Worsley Works kit - Do both 4-car & 2-car versions.

310- Recreation21 (3d Print)

312- See 304, but would be Farish Mk 2s instead.

Hope this helps

Stu

PS- Was told by a late friend who was a bobbie on the GE that the 309s when introduced would pull away out of Liverpool St like lightning in the peaks, as they were 12 coaches formed of 2x 4 car & 2x 2 car units, so were using 4 pans!

Ed

With old, fat, arthritic fingers and failing eyesight, kits and scratch building are a bit beyond me now. But out of interest how do you power these sort of models, some sort of power bogie like one of the Kato powered chassis?

Ed

martyn

The acceleration of the 309s, especially when running as 10 car, was phenomenal.

I didn't use them much, but I was always amazed at the speeds they reached between stops, and you could stand in the gangway and look at the spare cab speedo.

Martyn

Bob G

Quote from: martyn on November 09, 2023, 10:56:45 AMThe acceleration of the 309s, especially when running as 10 car, was phenomenal.

I didn't use them much, but I was always amazed at the speeds they reached between stops, and you could stand in the gangway and look at the spare cab speedo.

Martyn

There are good grounds for James Street to get OHLE then, so we can see 309s in their native land.

Bob

Newportnobby

Quote from: Bob G on November 09, 2023, 11:09:07 AM
Quote from: martyn on November 09, 2023, 10:56:45 AMThe acceleration of the 309s, especially when running as 10 car, was phenomenal.

Martyn

There are good grounds for James Street to get OHLE then, so we can see 309s in their native land.

Bob

Are you going to volunteer to do the track cleaning afterwards? :)

Bob G

Quote from: Newportnobby on November 09, 2023, 11:46:02 AM
Quote from: Bob G on November 09, 2023, 11:09:07 AM

Martyn

Bob

Are you going to volunteer to do the track cleaning afterwards? :)
@Southerngooner says they don't clean the track much anyway.

tunneroner61

Quote from: Ed on November 09, 2023, 10:47:22 AMBut out of interest how do you power these sort of models, some sort of power bogie like one of the Kato powered chassis?
I've used a Greenmax chassis in each of the class 120 and 123 I built a couple of years ago. They run very well. So I'm sure they could be used in an EMU.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations