Dapol VS Farish A3

Started by MistyEyedWanderer, November 05, 2023, 09:26:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ntpntpntp

@MistyEyedWanderer  I got the cast frogs from Eichhorn in Germany. They make frogs for many of the Peco insulfrog points as well as other brands.

https://www.eichhorn-modellbau.de/produkt-kategorie/scale-1-160-n/gleisbau-herzstueck-weichenherzstueck-spur-n

Here's my write-up on fitting one
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?msg=800730
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Portpatrick

Quote from: Roy L S on November 06, 2023, 04:27:32 PM
Quote from: Portpatrick on November 06, 2023, 03:20:10 PMThe haulage of the Bachmann Farish A1 and A2 is transformed by adding a second tyred axle at the rear of the tender (so that the rearmost pair both have tyres) in that guise it will pull prodigious loads.

Roy

Out of interest Roy, your advice please

I ran my A2 on the club layout last night.  It stalled on the straight with my 8 Dapol Gresley coaches.  It just managed with 6, incl the 12 inch radius curves.  So I found a spare tyred axle and set to hoping to replace as you suggest.  3 screws remove the keeper plate/coupling mount and 2 tucked away down(or is it up) the front, removes the tender body.  But the axles are still held in place by something brass coloured.  What do you do next.  I couls see no way of removing those .

In doing this I did notice that the tyred axle had shed a tyre.  That would certainly not have helped.  AS the body was off and I keep a stock of tyres for every one of my Farish locos, I was able to replace it.

So all Reassembled but still only one tyred axle.

Roy L S

Quote from: Portpatrick on November 24, 2023, 10:54:07 AM
Quote from: Roy L S on November 06, 2023, 04:27:32 PM
Quote from: Portpatrick on November 06, 2023, 03:20:10 PMThe haulage of the Bachmann Farish A1 and A2 is transformed by adding a second tyred axle at the rear of the tender (so that the rearmost pair both have tyres) in that guise it will pull prodigious loads.

Roy

Out of interest Roy, your advice please

I ran my A2 on the club layout last night.  It stalled on the straight with my 8 Dapol Gresley coaches.  It just managed with 6, incl the 12 inch radius curves.  So I found a spare tyred axle and set to hoping to replace as you suggest.  3 screws remove the keeper plate/coupling mount and 2 tucked away down(or is it up) the front, removes the tender body.  But the axles are still held in place by something brass coloured.  What do you do next.  I couls see no way of removing those .

In doing this I did notice that the tyred axle had shed a tyre.  That would certainly not have helped.  AS the body was off and I keep a stock of tyres for every one of my Farish locos, I was able to replace it.

So all Reassembled but still only one tyred axle.

Hi Colin

The brass items are in fact phosphor bronze bearings that are part of the wheelsets, they just slot into the chassis so should slide off.

Regards

Roy

Portpatrick

Quote from: Roy L S on November 24, 2023, 12:11:14 PMHi Colin

The brass items are in fact phosphor bronze bearings that are part of the wheelsets, they just slot into the chassis so should slide off.

Regards

Roy

AS reported on the Facebook page I found I had a wheelset with the bronze bearings.  I have now installed it on the tender.  Will try it all our asap.  Club layout can handle 8 coaches so  I will use my heavy Dapol Gresley rake again.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations