Sonic announce Newton Chambers TCV Anglo-Scottish Car Carriers in N gauge!

Started by NGS-PO, April 27, 2023, 11:30:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NGS-PO

A recent Rails email announces that Soinic are to produce the Newton Chambers car carriers in N Gauge.

Available in packs of three in both maroon and blue/grey.

Personally, I'm over the moon and will take six for the Anglo-Scottish Car Carrier, Perth-King's Cross (Holloway).

Best

Scott.

https://railsofsheffield.com/collections/n-gauge-newton-chambers-car-transporter-packs?_kx=1RgHMA349RmAJbMizFDUkFyJe-UtY-HWSm0EEmXyWfhEPZ_JhpQgMZoANxhBTgyY.RXkVMS&utm_campaign=Sonic Car Carrier&utm_id=01GZ0TPPKY2ARQTC12BN7XV33S&utm_medium=campaign&utm_source=Klaviyo
If you know someone who's depressed, please resolve never to ask them why. Depression isn't a straightforward response to a bad situation; depression just is, like the weather.Try to understand the blackness, lethargy, hopelessness, and loneliness they're going through. Be there for them when they come through the other side. It's hard to be a friend to someone who's depressed, but it is one of the kindest, noblest, and best things you will ever do."

(PLEASE NOTE: Unless where obviously posting on behalf of the NGS, all posts and views are my own and not connected/endorsed by the Society.)

Bob G

I wonder if Sam at Sonic had sight of the Heljan OO designs at all?

In my case I am not at all interested, but I can see why you want them. Strange that they don't fit in with any of Sonic's other N gauge output. He's a very random character (except where GWR is concerned).

Bob

Newportnobby

Not sure even my imagination will stretch to those appearing Oxfordshire but I am impressed Sonic are producing them and hope they sell well

NGS-PO

Quote from: Bob G on April 27, 2023, 12:14:56 PM

In my case I am not at all interested, but I can see why you want them. Strange that they don't fit in with any of Sonic's other N gauge output. He's a very random character (except where GWR is concerned).

Bob

Heljan are making them for Rails in OO so I assume they (Rails) are commissioning Sonic to make an N version.

Ignore me, I thought the Heljan OO were a rails exclusive but it appears not. I'm not sure where I got that from then.

As you were.

Best

Scott
If you know someone who's depressed, please resolve never to ask them why. Depression isn't a straightforward response to a bad situation; depression just is, like the weather.Try to understand the blackness, lethargy, hopelessness, and loneliness they're going through. Be there for them when they come through the other side. It's hard to be a friend to someone who's depressed, but it is one of the kindest, noblest, and best things you will ever do."

(PLEASE NOTE: Unless where obviously posting on behalf of the NGS, all posts and views are my own and not connected/endorsed by the Society.)

Roy L S

Forgive my scepticism, but having paid deposits for two J50s which were originally supposed to have been delivered well over a year ago, I will keep my powder dry for now.

If these models are actually in production as is being said and delivery is indeed due Q4 2023, I find it surprising that we are being shown illustrations at this point rather than at the very least EPs but one would actually I think reasonably expect  to see deco samples.

Roy

Bingley Hall

I'm very tempted, but not really au fait with sphere of operation, motive power, formations etc.
Not too fazed about paying a deposit. Can't remember when I paid upfront for my Revolution parcels unit - that was some time ago.
It's the way things are in these times of uncertainty.

Buzzard

Quote from: Bingley Hall on April 27, 2023, 02:01:49 PMI'm very tempted, but not really au fait with sphere of operation, motive power, formations etc.

Found the following on another forum

"History

Originally designated as TCVs, the vehicles later became NVV (vacuum braked) and NVX (dual braked) under BR's TOPS computer system. Unusually, they featured a hydraulically operated central well capable of storing two cars as well as four cars on the upper deck – a 50% increase in capacity over more conventional car carrying vehicles of the time.

When introduced in the early-1960s, the TCV car transporters were used between London, York and Edinburgh in sets of five or six vehicles with a handful of BR maroon Mk1 coaches, hauled by ex-LNER 'Pacifics' and later BR green 'Deltics', Class 40s, 45s, 46s or 47s. From the late-1960s onwards, they were painted in BR blue/grey and started to venture further afield on 'Motorail' services from London and northern England to the West of England, being hauled by Class 45s, 46s, 47s and 'Westerns'. However, they were closely associated with the East Coast Main Line throughout their career."

Bingley Hall

Quote from: Buzzard on April 27, 2023, 02:18:28 PM
Quote from: Bingley Hall on April 27, 2023, 02:01:49 PMI'm very tempted, but not really au fait with sphere of operation, motive power, formations etc.

"History

Originally designated as TCVs, the vehicles later became NVV (vacuum braked) and NVX (dual braked) under BR's TOPS computer system. Unusually, they featured a hydraulically operated central well capable of storing two cars as well as four cars on the upper deck – a 50% increase in capacity over more conventional car carrying vehicles of the time.

When introduced in the early-1960s, the TCV car transporters were used between London, York and Edinburgh in sets of five or six vehicles with a handful of BR maroon Mk1 coaches, hauled by ex-LNER 'Pacifics' and later BR green 'Deltics', Class 40s, 45s, 46s or 47s. From the late-1960s onwards, they were painted in BR blue/grey and started to venture further afield on 'Motorail' services from London and northern England to the West of England, being hauled by Class 45s, 46s, 47s and 'Westerns'. However, they were closely associated with the East Coast Main Line throughout their career."

Cool. Green Deltic- tick; handful of BR maroon Mk1 coaches - tick; Rule 1 - tick.
I think I'm in for a triple pack in maroon.
Thanks

NGS-PO

Quote from: Buzzard on April 27, 2023, 02:18:28 PM

"History

They got further North than Edinburgh in the 60s, certainly, operating on the Perth - London Holloway car carrier, where 6 TCVs were used (Later (66) it was 5 TCVs from Perth with a sixth added at Newcastle). There was a day train and a night train.  The day train had 4 Mk1s (RU, FO, FK, BSO) and the night train had  6 Mk1s (5 SLSTP, BSO).  Later, into the 70s I think, they turned up on Inverness Sleepers as well.

Hattons and Rails both suggest they were used on North -east to south-west services but I can't recall seeing images of that, which isn't to say they weren't.

Best

Scott.

NGS-PO

Bob G

Another wagon where very few were actually built - in this case 14. Presumably 2 x 6 car rakes (plus Mk 1s) and two spares.

Would rather have had a DMU (117 or 205), or an EMU (4-REP/4-TC/4-CIG/4-VEP/2-EPB/4-SUB...). Never mind. Gotta keep the eastern region fans happy. Next time eh?

Bob

martyn

A photo I have from July 1962 of the up Edinburgh - Holloway train is a cl 40, CCT(E) (converted from short Gresley composite), mk 1 GUV, 5 Newton Chambers, and then four unitentifiable Mk 1s. Loco in green no syp, stock various shades of maroon.

Martyn

Newportnobby

I'd love to imagine an Edinburgh - South Coast (Southampton/Bournemouth) with 3 x sleepers, 4 x MK1s and some TCVs but my layout's not big enough :*(

Bob G

Quote from: NGS-PO on April 27, 2023, 12:25:14 PM
Quote from: Bob G on April 27, 2023, 12:14:56 PM

Heljan are making them for Rails in OO so I assume they (Rails) are commissioning Sonic to make an N version.

Ignore me, I thought the Heljan OO were a rails exclusive but it appears not. I'm not sure where I got that from then.

I thought you had inside knowledge, but the car carriers are listed in the Heljan 2023 catalogue, for delivery in Q3/Q4 2023 (same date that Rails quoted) so I guess they are not a Rails exclusive.
Sonic however is exclusive to Rails, so I can see where you could be led to think there was a link.
I believe the Q3/Q4 2023 date rails quoted is actually the dategiven for the OO version, not the N version, but that is a pure guess.

Bob

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations