GWR Hall Loco - Farish vs Dapol, which one is better?

Started by Doc Pye, February 12, 2019, 01:05:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doc Pye

Okay, thanks to all the invaluable input I took the plunge and bought a Dapol 'Priory Hall' from Osborne's. It arrived on Thursday and being a big kid, I immediately got the new toy out of the box, read the instructions, oiled as directed, and put it to work on my Kato M1 test track. The running was very good to begin with, and the loco performs well at low speed. However, when I am running it a bit faster (as an express train would) I have noticed that at time the loco lurches as if something is holding in back. It keeps going around but it isn't a very fluid movement at times at higher speed. I tried running the loco in reverse at the same speed and didn't notice this problem. So my question for all of you is did I get a bit of a dud with this purchase or could be something else????  :helpneededsign:

I will say one thing, the Dapol Hall loco is very well done, with great detail. The slight problem on the movement is just bugging me.

Hope to hear some input on this issue.

PLD

First question: is it the same place on the track each time (potentially indicating a track issue) or the same formation each time - e.g. always a left hand curve, or always at track joins (potentially indicating something on the loco that catches when manipulated in a particular way such as obstructing the drive shaft or hanging below the loco)

The slow vs fast running difference could be that any hesitation is magnified and more obvious visibly at higher speed...

Doc Pye

The M1 set is new and a simple loop circuit. The new Hall just lurches a bit at higher speeds, and can't figure out why. I have run other locos on the same track and no problems at all. The new Hall has good pick-up at low speed and looks great but the problem at higher speeds does bug!

Bob G

If you dont like it and it is within warranty send it back.
I have had Granges which dont run that well, and its been sorted by a replacement.
Bob

RailGooner

Quote from: Doc Pye on February 23, 2019, 01:27:53 AM
when I am running it a bit faster (as an express train would) I have noticed that at time the loco lurches as if something is holding in back. It keeps going around but it isn't a very fluid movement at times at higher speed. I tried running the loco in reverse at the same speed and didn't notice this problem.

I can't remember whether the Dapol Hall has any packing pieces between loco and tender(?). I seem to recall it does. Worth double checking that there's nothing fouling the cardan shaft. If you can't find any obvious mech problem there, I'd return it as others have suggested.

Doc Pye

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated. It isn't that little piece of plastic that Dapol puts in between the tender and loco, as I took that out. I just didn't want to go through the hassle of returning it if there was an easy fix or something that I was doing wrong. I usually only return things when I have exhausted other options, as I know from running a business that returns don't help things. That said, if you get it wrong, it should be fixed.

So looks like my beautiful shiny new Hall is going back to Osbornes...or do you send it directly to Dapol? :confused2:

Bob G

Osbornes are the folk to take it back.
good luck with the next one.
Bob

ntpntpntp

Probably is something mechanical, but what controller are you running it on?  Does it include "feedback" or "load compensation"? If so turn that off if you can. Some feedback circuits aren't well tuned for modern motors and can over-compensate causing jerky running.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Doc Pye

As I stated above, I am running it on my Kato M1 test track, which runs all my other locos really smoothly. I also thought it was some sort of pick-up issue, but if that were the case I would have problems on my other locos, which isn't the case. Hence, I am figuring there is a problem with my new Hall...  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Caz

One thing to check with Dapol shaft drive locos is the shaft socket on the tender side.  I've had 2 Dapol locos, a Hall and a Grange than ran a bit rough, especially in one direction.  In both case the collar that accepts the drive shaft on the tender was binding slightly, it slides along the motor shaft and on both it was a little too tight against the tender.  A very careful adjustment by moving the collar a nats away from the tender moulding sorted them out.  You can't move it too far otherwise the drive shaft is then too long.
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

Doc Pye

Thanks Caz for the advice. So is this just a case of sliding the piece more towards the tender or the loco? How much movement? I don't want to mess this up and void the warranty but if it is an easy fix I am game.

FYI, I really liked your Farish Diesel Railcar conversion piece...great stuff, as I have to fix mine that won't run!

Caz

Move it slightly away from the tender body, when the shaft spins in one direction it's ok, but in the other it can foul the tender body.  I "think" I just used a small screw driver or craft knife to ease it away from the tender body.
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

Doc Pye

Sadly I have given up on getting my new Prior Hall from Osborne's to work properly, as despite following the great advice offered here, it still shutters going forward. In fact, the problem appears to be getting worse...or perhaps I am just noticing it more.  :'( :'( :'( :'(  In any event, I contacted Osborne's today about the return process, which I hope won't be painful.

On another front, on EvilBay recently I purchased two new GWR engines, a Peco Collett's Goods and another Dapol Hall, 'Mottram Hall'. Now my luck with new purchases is clearly not doing well, as the Peco loco isn't running well at all. Actually, it isn't running much at all, which is sad. This is my second one of these and my previous one works fine and is a great little loco. So can anyone suggest any links/guidance on how to service this one. I am hoping it might be something minor, as I really don't want to go the return route with this one as it is a really nice loco (the exterior part that is, as the motor isn't working well at present :'( ).

As for my new Dapol 'Mottram Hall', this looks nice and runs okay. It clearly needs a clean/service. So again, can anyone suggest links/guidance on how to service this one.

I should warn everyone that I am a completely 'noobie' when it comes to cleaning/servicing locos, so please keep your advice for simply minded folk like me....pretty please!  :helpneededsign:

Hope those with knowledge out there can offer guidance. :)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations