The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RailGooner

Quote from: Newportnobby on June 17, 2019, 10:03:48 AM
Quote from: RailGooner on June 16, 2019, 11:10:50 PM
The (Virgin TV) guide and Eurosport 1HD channel info, tell me I'm watching 'Critérium du Dauphiné Cycling' but my eyes and the commentary tell me I'm watching the Tour of Switzerland! :censored: :veryangry:

The C du D did end up in Switzerland, which struck me as strange to have 2 tours on in Switzerland at the same time (although the Dauphiné was finishing)

Which just compounded my confusion. ???

Malc

Quote from: daveg on June 17, 2019, 06:42:30 AM
Quote from: Malc on June 16, 2019, 05:06:12 PM
There was a cartoon ad in the 60s with some guy leaning over the wall of a circular tower and knocking the side saying, "Strong stuff, this insurance". No idea as to the company concerned, but the punchline stuck in my mind.

Something like this, @Malc?

http://www.turnipnet.com/tv/insurance.ram

I think I'm getting old!  :doh:

Dave G
Not quite Dave, but something similar. The guy leans over and knocks the side and says ,"strong stuff this insurance"
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Newportnobby

@Malc does this ring a bell?

A general reminder from the British Insurance Association to make sure you had sufficient cover. From the 50's

Cartoon character called Fred drives home humming to himself

Voiceover: Home sweet home, Fred — or is it? The fact is, Fred, you've only got half a home — half a hall, half a bedroom. Forgot it had gone up in value, didn't you. Fred — you're under-insured!

Fred (waking up): What a nightmare! But half a minute — I am under-insured!

Voiceover: But not for long.

Fred (with his wife and two children protected by an insurance policy shaped like a castle:
Get the full strength of the insurance companies around you!

The piece of paper folds into a castle with Fred on top and he reaches down and knocks on the wall and says:

Strong stuff this Insurance!

Malc

That's the very badger, Mick. I take it there is no clip on YouTube?
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

daffy

The original ad is listed in this webpage as a video clip - 23rd item down - but I need to download it to my iPad to view it, so I guess it will have a PC player link for ... er.... PC's:

http://www.turnipnet.com/whirligig/tv/adverts/commercials.htm
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

RailGooner

Quote from: daffy on June 19, 2019, 06:11:44 PM
The original ad is listed in this webpage as a video clip - 23rd item down - but I need to download it to my iPad to view it, so I guess it will have a PC player link for ... er.... PC's:

They're *.RAM files, which IIRC are Real Player files - not natively supported in Windows.

daffy

Yes, RealPlayer Limited files, and looks like I can't get it to play on the ipad too. Apparently there are file converters around to convert to mp3 but that's a faff I'll not bother with.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

NeMo

Quote from: daffy on June 19, 2019, 06:43:22 PM
Yes, RealPlayer Limited files, and looks like I can't get it to play on the ipad too. Apparently there are file converters around to convert to mp3 but that's a faff I'll not bother with.

via Imgflip Meme Generator

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

Newportnobby

Quote from: Malc on June 19, 2019, 04:26:31 PM
That's the very badger, Mick. I take it there is no clip on YouTube?

A shame but "No" (he said mildly angrily)

zwilnik

VLC will play it although it's really tiny and poor quality.

Newportnobby

Cyclists beware!!!!!!
This sort of thing just makes me furious as those morons who need to be surgically separated from their mobiles deserve all they get. She got off lightly in my opinion - it could have been a bus or lorry :censored:

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/cyclist-hit-yoga-teacher-stepped-074600530.html

Bob Tidbury

I can never understand our laws ,How can it have been the cyclists fault ,he shouted out and sounded a warning ,if she was so busy on her mobile it's her fault she should have been paying attention ,I think the same law for motorists should apply to pedestrians ,if they need to make a call or text they should stop walking .
Bob Tidbury

crewearpley40

I say stupidity on the woman on the phone' s part. Ive had a mile walk after the train home after the bus failed and had to cross 3 busy junctions and road works with a mess everywhere. Hence why ive had phone off

emjaybee

Quote from: Bob Tidbury on June 21, 2019, 03:35:24 PM
I can never understand our laws ,How can it have been the cyclists fault ,he shouted out and sounded a warning ,if she was so busy on her mobile it's her fault she should have been paying attention ,I think the same law for motorists should apply to pedestrians ,if they need to make a call or text they should stop walking .
Bob Tidbury

I would like to temper this a little by saying there's always a few that spoil it for the many.

Having witnessed cyclists carrying on through red lights, hitting pedestrians on a zebra crossing, and using their phone whilst cycling, it's not much different to the motorists that do similar.

Be it cycling, motoring, horse riding etc., there's always a few. If you use the road in any of these endeavours, I personally think that you should have insurance by law.

Not saying she wasn't at fault, but as the judge said, they were both at fault.

Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

RailGooner

I'm a pedestrian in Oxford, so I hate cyclists with a passion. Living here has resulted in my own cycle being abandoned to the back of the shed.

But, I think this case is a complete travesty of justice. Help cover Robert Hazeldean's legal fees if you too think he's innocent*.

* If not innocent then surely no more guilty than Gemma Brushett.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations