GNER MK4 75ft Coaches

Started by GWR-Kris, December 05, 2011, 09:53:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GWR-Kris

quick question to you all, i have been offered some new GNER Coaches the 75ft ones by Graham Farish the P/N's are 374-525 (TSOD 2nd Open), 374-550 (TSOE 2nd Open), 374-575 (TSO 2nd Open), and 374-625 (Resturant Car)

What i want to know is which loco would of pull these coaches would it be a class 91? also how many of each, i know the resturant car would be 1 lol.

Sprintex

Yep, would have to be a Class 91 as the MK4s were produced solely for these trains  :thumbsup:

Typical formation would be 91-TSOE-TSO-TSO-TSO-TSOD-RSB-TFO-TFO-TFO-DVT

Paul

GWR-Kris

cheers paul that very very helpful thank you. would it be class 91 only or are there any others. thanks.

Sprintex

Class 91 only I'm afraid as they're classed as 'fixed formation' trains. GNER only ever had IC225 Electric trains pulled by Class 91s, and IC125 HSTs that use MK3 coaches, not MK4s.  :)

Paul

GWR-Kris

makes sense to me. from what you said is the RSB a TRFM? Resturant Car? Cant seem to find the TFO :-(

Sprintex

RSB is the restaurant car yes, code is as you stated 374-625.

TFO is code 374-600 if that's any help?

EDIT: Had a quick trawl on Google and found Hattons don't have any in stock, but Gaugemaster are showing in stock:

http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=GF374-600

also Model Railways Direct:

http://www.modelrailwaysdirect.co.uk/Graham-Farish-374-600-BR-Mk4-FO-First-Open-GNER/

Sadly not cheap brand new, but second hand you could wait forever  :(

Paul

Adam1701D

You could also use an EWS/Rfd Class 90 (these worked Mk4s for a while whilst the 91s were being refurbished).

EWS Class 67s are often called to drag failed 91/Mk4 rakes or work diversions off the wires.

:Class91:
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

Brooksy

Of course, if you don't mind moving away from prototype you can do what you want. I currently have a rake of GNER mk4s being pulled by a blue 47 and I think it looks pretty good. Although, I do have the class91+DVT on order so it won't be too long that it exists in this formation. My top tip is that in actuality the different coach types are virtually indistinguishable from each other so if you want a bargain you can pick up a few of the TSOD (currently £7.50 on ehatttons: http://www.ehattons.com/8753/Graham_Farish_374_525_Mk4_TSOD_2nd_open_75ft_coach_in_GNER_livery/StockDetail.aspx.

The TSO/TSOD/TSOE are virtually identical. See:
TSO:

TSOE:

TSOD:

The TSOE is identical to the TSO except that the exterior of the doors on the ends (corridor/connecting doors) of the TSO are both grey whereas one is black and one is grey on the TSOE.

The TSOD lacks a black square (right hand side of above images) which is presumably the toilet window.

The first class carriages just have First Class written on the outside so this could easily be added.

If I was a bit further on in my modelling career I would buy another set to convert to the intercity livery but still think this is a pretty good bargain at £7.50 per coach. Downsides are the detailing is not great - probably why they all look the same. Could maybe do with the letters of the coaches being added.

Disclaimer: there may be other differences that I haven't spotted.

EtchedPixels

One end gangway is also different. The coaches are actually a bit too similar to each other. Adam (Electra) was doing various little additional fittings for them.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Adam1701D

The real TSOE has a blank plate at the non-toilet end instead of a gangway and Oleo buffers for loco-haulage. Originally, Farish did tool this correctly but the tool for th blank end never made it to China, hence the painted gangway on the GNER version.

I shall dig out some photos when I get home and post something on here.

It is a very easy conversion with plasticard, or I can provide a vinyl blanking plate.
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

scruff

Didn't the class 89 work with mark 4 coach sets under GNER?

Mark

Adam1701D

It certainly did. Strictly speaking, it was before the Mk4 sets were refurbished and got red doors. Who cares?  ;D
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

scruff

ah! Isn't modellers licence a wonderful thing!

Was there also a class 90 in GNER colours too?  i seem to remember one, 90024? my grey cells aren't what they used to be.. ::)

Mark
:Class89:

Adam1701D

Yep, EWS painted 90024 in GNER livery when they were being hired-in on the Leeds run. I think it actually managed to work a GNER set once!
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

scruff

looks like we're starting to open up a lot of options for those mk4's.

Is there any possibility that bounds green borrowed Hornsey's class 03 shunter to shift a rake? ;D  :thumbsup:

Mark

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations