The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lawrence

Allan - what annoys me is that if I want to game online with the xbox I have to pay extra for the xbox live gold over and above what I pay for my broadband.  There were a couple of racing games and and one of the CoD I used to play online but I am fed up handing money out to Microsoft all the time  >:(

MikeDunn

Sorry, but I can't sympathise with you guys - you knew this was the charging mechanism when you started it and were happy then ... same with those complaining about monthly subscription games  :no:

If you don't want to pay, find other games - or do something more rewarding than sitting in front of an Xbox for hours on end  :unimpressed:

Lawrence

Quote from: MikeDunn on February 25, 2013, 09:14:36 AM
Sorry, but I can't sympathise with you guys - you knew this was the charging mechanism when you started it and were happy then ... same with those complaining about monthly subscription games  :no:

If you don't want to pay, find other games - or do something more rewarding than sitting in front of an Xbox for hours on end  :unimpressed:

Actually Mike I wasn't aware when I first purchased my xbox (perhaps a lack of research on my part) and as far as I recall there is no such additional cost on the Playstation (please correct if this is not the case).

When I had a disc removed from my back two years ago and was unable to walk further than the loo, online gaming actually kept me (relatively) sane whilst the boss was at work all day, being pretty much disabled for the initial 6 weeks gave me a whole new outlook on life and I am only grateful it was temporary for me, I did at least have some 'virtual' interaction with other humans and was actually able to speak to them too and I can assure you, whether you are permanently or temporarily disabled it does help to raise your spirits.

As for your final statement, I don't believe you have the right to come on here and judge me and my lifestyle (or what you poorly perceive it to be) especially as you know nothing about me.  When this forum started and I started to help Tank run it I was spending several hours a day on here, it took over my life for the best part of two years, I trust you don't think that was time wasted.

So I have taken a break from the forum so that I can get back to having time with my family, rediscovering I have some train stuff out in the shed and perhaps a bit of gaming if time permits.

MikeDunn

Quote from: Lawrence on February 25, 2013, 11:36:39 AM
Actually Mike I wasn't aware when I first purchased my xbox (perhaps a lack of research on my part) and as far as I recall there is no such additional cost on the Playstation (please correct if this is not the case).
Tut tut  ;) ... and consider yourself corrected - they use the same principles.  AFAIK, only the Wii is exempt from that format - but they have a similar one for certain downloadables.

When I had a disc removed from my back two years ago
I sympathise there; not been that bad, but I did have a lumbar disc issue back in the 90's (that occasionally gives me bother even now) that knocked me off my feet for weeks ...  Devices like we have now would have been a Godsend then.

Bikeracer

Quote from: MikeDunn on February 25, 2013, 09:14:36 AM

Well thanks for that insight,just because there is no alternative doesn't mean I'm happy about buying tokens so don't presume to know what makes me angry or not.

I knew what the charging system was,I'm angry that there is no way to just pay for downloads without ending up with being forced to buy excess credits.

I don't know how old you are but you might come to a time in your life when circumstances work against you and you are basically a prisoner in your own home.
I've been there,got the tee shirt and the mug.

If you think constant hospital visits are more rewarding than playing games I can assure you they're not.

Allan

I'm not a complete idiot..some bits are missing.

Dock Shunter

Quote from: MikeDunn on February 25, 2013, 11:49:37 AM
Quote from: Lawrence on February 25, 2013, 11:36:39 AM

Tut tut  ;) ... and consider yourself corrected - they use the same principles.  AFAIK, only the Wii is exempt from that format

Actually Mike you are wrong......Unlike Xbox where you have to pay a subscription (XBox live Gold)it doesn't cost anything extra to play online on the Playstation.
(Xbox gamer who plays Fifa Soccer and Battlefield 3  online)

zwilnik

I used to be an Xbox 360 developer (well, technically still am, just haven't done any in a while as iOS dev is more profitable and marginally less stressful) so I can give some reasonably considered input on the Xbox LIVE points system.

The plus side of points rather than 'real' money values on items is that it's fully international. An item or game costs the same number of points whatever country you're in. That simplifies a lot of the system but also means that in-game store links don't have to check with a server to find out what the local price is based on your country code (something we have to do for iPhone IAP for instance. Not a huge deal but does make for a slightly cleaner system).

The upside for Microsoft (and the developers/publishers) is that it mentally detaches the concept of money from the items. As players have a habit of assuming developers do everything for free anyway and anything you download has no monetary value, they tend to balk when told something costs actual money. That little bit of detachment by showing them as x points instead of x pence actually decreases the chance they'll think "oh, this valuable work the developer did will actually cost me money" and increases the chance they'll spend some points (it works the same in 'freemium' style games where you have various in-game currencies that you earn in-game or buy with money).

Of course it also works like company scrip in that it locks your money into the system, but that's commerce for you. It does give them the option to give you an advantage for buying more points in advance though. If you plan what you're going to be buying on Xbox LIVE and are really careful tracking what you're spending, you can end up with better deals buying the larger point packs if you're spending a lot of points. It does ramp up pretty quickly though.

The big plus side of XBox LIVE's subscription vs free online services on other platforms is that it gives actual value to the service. So if you get banned for being a git, it actually costs you. Thus you don't act like a git so you won't get banned. (this also works for internet forums too btw. Something Awful.com is a really good forum that costs you $10 membership and has *very* strict rules, which users stick to or lose their $10).

MikeDunn

Quote from: Dock Shunter on February 25, 2013, 01:36:43 PM
Actually Mike you are wrong......
No, just not specific enough; they charge for additional downloadable content, yes ?
https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-us/games/addons/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-hearthfire/cid=UP1003-BLUS30778_00-DLCHEARTHFIRE0EN as an example.  This is what I was thinking about with my comment (but it's good to know they don't force a subscription onto you - same for the Wii).

jonclox

John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

Sprintex

No such thing! Take a Lemsip and get on with it ;D

Paul

Jerry Howlett

Quote from: Sprintex on February 26, 2013, 10:00:25 AM
Paul

There are WOMEN on this Forum!.
OF COURSE MAN FLU EXISTS> IT IS A SERIOUS DISEASE THAT MAKES US MORE INCAPABLE OF DOING THINGS AROUND THE HOUSE THAN USUAL

In fact I think I am catching it now, I think Jonclox is infecting my keyboard.....
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Sprintex

Quote from: Jerry Howlett on February 26, 2013, 11:29:50 AM

There certainly are, and I doubt any of them are daft enough to fall for that man flu rubbish :laugh:

Paul

MikeDunn

Hey, it's worth a try !!!  :P

jonclox

Quote from: Jerry Howlett on February 26, 2013, 11:29:50 AM
Quote from: Sprintex on February 26, 2013, 10:00:25 AM
Paul

OF COURSE MAN FLU EXISTS> IT IS A SERIOUS DISEASE THAT MAKES US MORE INCAPABLE OF DOING THINGS AROUND THE HOUSE THAN USUAL

In fact I think I am catching it now, I think Jonclox is infecting my keyboard.....
Thats how I caught it  :veryangry: sorry folks and do  remember that women only suffer a milder version of it
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

Jack

Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations