Traffic lights stuck on red

Started by bob lawrence, July 01, 2019, 08:48:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob lawrence

Just got back from the gym and there have been road works on my route for yonks the temporary traffic lights were stuck on red in both directions. I know there are a number of very experienced drivers on this forum, Martin and Laurence being two, what is the correct procedure in such circumstances? Also how does it apply to permanent lights stuck on red in one direction?

woodbury22uk

The stop light is mandatory. But in these circumstances if there is no-one on site and it is clear that no plant or machinery is going to be moving in the red protected zone, I would put on my hazard lights and drive slowly through the roadworks. A call to the traffic management company would follow.

This obviously only works on a short stretch of roadworks where both ends are in clear view.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

MJKERR

The maximum sequence time is 120 seconds, after that you can proceed without liability of prosecution
The next issue if the oncoming phase is stuck on green!

dannyboy

I have to ask where the figure of 120 seconds comes from.

The offence of contravening a red light signal is contained in s. 36 of the Road Traffic Act 1988. Regulation 10 of the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002 specifies which signs come within the ambit of s. 36. One of these signs is "(g)the red light signal when displayed by the light signals prescribed by regulation 33 or by regulation 35".

Reg 33 provides for fixed traffic lights. Reg 35 provides for "Portable light signals for the control of vehicular traffic". So as long as they comply with the requirements of Reg 35 they are enforceable under s. 36. Penalty is a fine and obligatory endorsement/optional disqualification.

Addit: If a traffic light is defective, then it should no longer be regarded as compliant with the prescribed requirements and, as such, passing beyond the [faulty] red light would create no offence under Section 36.

That said, if you were pulled for doing this and the matter was proceeded to court, you'd need to prove it was evident the lights were faulty and that proceeding through was reasonable in the circumstances.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Papyrus

Going slightly sideways, some new temporary traffic lights have appeared outside our town. I was approaching them this morning when I saw an ambulance on blues 'n' twos approaching at speed from the other direction. So, even though the lights were green for me, I stopped and the driver behind me did too. What did the rest of the queue do? Went past us, barging through so that the ambulance had to wait. I was not impressed.

Sorry, rant over. Back on topic, please...

Cheers,

Chris

guest311

there's never a plod around when you want one  :veryangry:

Skyline2uk

Quote from: class37025 on July 01, 2019, 06:03:28 PM

That's why I have a dash cam now.

An increasing number of forces have websites etc to submit footage.

Prosecutions based on public footage have started. Now I believe a real risk of policing on the cheap exists here, but I certainly would have sent footage of that incident in myself.

Skyline2uk

emjaybee

Quote from: Skyline2uk on July 01, 2019, 06:38:44 PM

Prosecutions based on public footage have started. Now I believe a real risk of policing on the cheap exists here, but I certainly would have sent footage of that incident in myself.

Skyline2uk

Unfortunately Plod are lagging somewhat behind.

I recently witnessed a particularly reckless and dangerous overtaking manoeuvre right in front of my van. As I was on my way to Banbury I dropped into the Nick to report the incident complete with data card.

"Sorry, we can't view it, you'll have to report it via the phone over there."

:smackedface:

I left.

I reported it over the phone later. They asked me to send the video clip via email. Long story short, I couldn't, it turns out that they can only receive files under 2Mb, which equates to about 5sec of video. I eventually sent them a private link to YouTube having uploaded it at their request. I've heard no more.

If they're serious about using the info they are going to have to catch up, and having some experience of PC I.T. they are glacial and outdated.

:hmmm:
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

guest311

a few years ago, I was on my way home after a night shift, and saw a really dangerous bit of driving on the A23 and onto the A273.

clocked the make / model / colour / reg of the offending vehicle, found a layby, pulled in and rang the non emergency line .....

hold....
message about dedication to superb service from chief constable ....
hold ....
hold ....
message from P&CC about dedication to superb service ....
hold ....
hold ....
hold ....

answer  :claphappy:

explained what had happened, gave details, but had not got the last letter of the reg ....

"I'm sorry but there's not much I can do as you didn't get the full reg no>:(

explained that when I was at school there were only 26 letters in the alphabet, and wondered what the chances were that two cars of that make / model / colour would be listed in the 26 possibilities ?

" I'm sorry , sir, but I do not like your attitude, and if you continue I will end this call"   :censored:

I'm paying for the call, and he's going to end it cause he can't be bothered to do his job ?
amazing that when they want to they only need a partial reg  :help:

needless to say the conversation ended, by me ending the call, hey my dime  :smiley-laughing:

as the saying goes 'what's black and goes click brrr?'
'I don't know'
click brrrr  :laugh3:

Skyline2uk

Quote from: emjaybee on July 01, 2019, 08:45:03 PM

Skyline2uk

I recently witnessed a particularly reckless and dangerous overtaking manoeuvre right in front of my van. As I was on my way to Banbury I dropped into the Nick to report the incident complete with data card.

I left.

I reported it over the phone later. They asked me to send the video clip via email. Long story short, I couldn't, it turns out that they can only receive files under 2Mb, which equates to about 5sec of video. I eventually sent them a private link to YouTube having uploaded it at their request. I've heard no more.

If they're serious about using the info they are going to have to catch up, and having some experience of PC I.T. they are glacial and outdated.

Not quite as bad round here, last I heard plod took in data CDs via the post 😳

Skyline2uk

emjaybee

Quote from: Skyline2uk on July 01, 2019, 11:24:13 PM
Quote from: emjaybee on July 01, 2019, 08:45:03 PM

Skyline2uk

I left.

Not quite as bad round here, last I heard plod took in data CDs via the post 😳

Skyline2uk

:laughabovepost:
Brookline build thread:

stevewalker

Some years ago while queuing to  exit a supermarket car park, a driver decided to ignore the give-way to the right rule on a roundabout and nearly hit me. He then kept sounding his horn, driving closer and closer to us and pulling very odd faces. Rather than argue, I let him in, where he proceeded to brake test me as soon as the traffic started moving. I dropped in at the main police station as I was passing on the way home and my wife and I reported what had happened.

A few days later we got a phone call to say that with only our word, they couldn't proceed any further, but that the car had been registered to a company and the driver's boss wasn't best pleased with him :)

scottmitchell74

Interesting.

In the US when this happens we treat it as a stop sign, and you proceed in turn.
Spend as little as possible on what you need so you can spend as much as possible on what you want.

emjaybee

Quote from: scottmitchell74 on July 01, 2019, 11:34:38 PM
Interesting.

In the US when this happens we treat it as a stop sign, and you proceed in turn.

Yes, but having driven in the US on a large number of occasions (I'm proud to say up around the 20,000mile mark), US drivers are generally more considerate, patient and more abiding of traffic laws than a lot of moronic UK drivers.
Brookline build thread:

MJKERR

Quote from: dannyboy on July 01, 2019, 12:54:00 PM
I have to ask where the figure of 120 seconds comes from.

The offence of contravening a red light signal is contained in s. 36 of the Road Traffic Act 1988. Regulation 10 of the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002 specifies which signs come within the ambit of s. 36. One of these signs is "(g)the red light signal when displayed by the light signals prescribed by regulation 33 or by regulation 35".

Reg 33 provides for fixed traffic lights. Reg 35 provides for "Portable light signals for the control of vehicular traffic". So as long as they comply with the requirements of Reg 35 they are enforceable under s. 36. Penalty is a fine and obligatory endorsement/optional disqualification.

Addit: If a traffic light is defective, then it should no longer be regarded as compliant with the prescribed requirements and, as such, passing beyond the [faulty] red light would create no offence under Section 36.

That said, if you were pulled for doing this and the matter was proceeded to court, you'd need to prove it was evident the lights were faulty and that proceeding through was reasonable in the circumstances.
Here in Scotland the agreed time limit is 120 seconds, case law covers that

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.23
Below Goal: £69.77
Site Currency: GBP
30% 
April Donations