Hawksworth Coaches

Started by REGP, October 25, 2018, 10:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

REGP

Does anyone know when these were introduced?

I've seen Graham Farish models of them advertised with GWR Shirtbutton livery and ordered a few, but can only find references of them being introduced after WW2.

Can anyone point me at any web site or book that might help?

Ray

Bob G

You are correct.
they were introduced in 1944, so only wore GW livery for three years post 1945.
Bob

REGP

Thanks @Bob G
I'm a bit puzzled now, as I thought the Shirtbutton livery was a pre war livery and post war the livery was Great Western or have I miss something?

Ray

Bob G

Its a shame I'm not a true GW officianado, but by deduction:

City of Truro (the latest Union Mills model) is in 1931 livery and has Great Western on its tender (no crests).
Great (crest) Western was 1906-34. No crests were used after 1924 on non-express passenger locos IIRC.
Shirtbutton was 1934-42.
G W R was 1942-47.
The G (Twin Cities crest) W was post war, also for express passenger locos.

I've just taken a look at some pictures of Farish Hawksworth coaches in GW livery and they have the twin cities crest, not shirtbutton, so the listing description may be wrong but the coach is correct.

HTH
Bob

REGP

Thanks again @Bob G 
I've had another chance to look at photos of the models as well and as you say they are not Shirtbutton. Mystery solved.

Newportnobby

OK. Dumb question number 334. Twin cities. I guess one is London. The other one? :help:

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

REGP

Bob G

Quote from: Bealman on October 26, 2018, 11:34:04 AM
Birtley  ECML.  ;) :P

Poor sense of geography evident. Suggest you get back to Tasmania, or stop drinking the Cascade premium  LOL   :laughabovepost: :P

(my favourite beer)

Bob  :angel:

Jerry Howlett

Pretty sure that many of the Hawksworths were built POST nationlisation.  Back in my Didcot days of Carriage and Wagon expertise I had 2 brilliant books on the subject, but sadly they are long gone as is most of my memory banks.  For example the Brake 3rd at Didcot 2202 was outshopped in GWR (2 cities crest) but was not built until 1949 or 1950.  I have been waiting for the maroon versions, now I just to pluck up courage to buy a rake of 6 before Mrs"H" gets mobile enough to check her PayPal account...    :D :D

Jerry
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

crepello

Can I add to this thread a warning I've already put on RM Web.
DO NOT remove the wheelsets when spray weathering the bogies; they are an extremely tight fit in the axleboxes--I ended up damaging a bogie and there are NO SPARES available.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations