WCML Intercity Rake

Started by BrakeCoach, February 22, 2017, 12:06:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrakeCoach

Hello,  :hellosign:
I recently bought a rake of 9 coaches in Intercity Executive/Swallow, which are:
Mk1 BG-Mk2fTSO-TSO-TSO-TSO-TSO-Mk3 RFM-Mk2f FO-FO.
What locomotive is realistic and appropriate to pull this rake? A 47? or an electric?

austinbob

Quote from: funnysunny365 on February 22, 2017, 12:06:16 PM
Hello,  :hellosign:
I recently bought a rake of 9 coaches in Intercity Executive/Swallow, which are:
Mk1 BG-Mk2fTSO-TSO-TSO-TSO-TSO-Mk3 RFM-Mk2f FO-FO.
What locomotive is realistic and appropriate to pull this rake? A 47? or an electric?
Check out this from Wikepedia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/InterCity_(British_Rail)
You'll find Google search or similar very helpful in finding this type of information.
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Steven B

That looks like a common Euston to Birmingham/Manchester formation so would probably be powered by a class 86 (Dapol) or 87 (Farish). Similar rakes were used on cross-country services via the WCML (e.g. Manchester - south coast) which would be class 47 hauled.

By the time the class 90s (Farish) arrived the BG is likely to have been swapped for a DVT (Dapol).

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

(edited to correct destination - Euston to Glasgow services typically ran with Mk3 coaches rather than Mk2)

acko22

There is a guy on Youtube I cant remember his name for the life of me, he did a lot of videos at the former Norton Bridge Station back in the early 90s which had loads of Intercity services.

Its a really good reference for most intercity services
Mechanical issues can be solved with a hammer and electrical problems can be solved with a screw driver. Beyond that it's verbal abuse which makes trains work!!

dodger

The cross-country trains to the south coast only had 1 FO and use a Mk1 RB or derivative. Mk3's were banned on the Southern at this time. All of the HST Mk3's had modified bogies to give sufficient clearance to the 3rd rail.

Dodger

BlythPower

The Mk 2f's were mainly used on Euston-Birmingham services. The Mk 3s being generally reserved for the longer distance routes. The Cross Country services used mainly Mk 2d and e stock with, as Dodger notes, a Mk 1 catering vehicle and usually a BSO to provide the brake vehicle.

dodger

As far as I can remember BG's were used on Cross Country formations when the rakes were 8+ coaches. When the reduced formations were used a BSO or BFK was used.

Dodger

Jimbo

Quote from: dodger on February 22, 2017, 01:34:35 PM
The cross-country trains to the south coast only had 1 FO and use a Mk1 RB or derivative. Mk3's were banned on the Southern at this time. All of the HST Mk3's had modified bogies to give sufficient clearance to the 3rd rail.

Dodger

Not sure what the physical/technical details are and how it works but whenever HSTs are diverted into Waterloo the weekly notice states 'short swing link only permitted'.
I gather there must be different types of bogies perhaps on the HSTs/MK3s.
'Keep it country!'

'Head in the clouds, feet in the mud!'

bluedepot

what would be a good cross country rake?

something like mk1 bg or mk2 bso, 3or4 mk2 tso, mk1 rmb or mk2 rfb or whatever they were coded as??, and 1or2 tf???  then a 47/4 or 47/8...?

what variant are the old farish air con mk2s?

Tim

dodger

Quote from: Jimbo on February 22, 2017, 02:10:03 PM
Quote from: dodger on February 22, 2017, 01:34:35 PM

Dodger

Not sure what the physical/technical details are and how it works but whenever HSTs are diverted into Waterloo the weekly notice states 'short swing link only permitted'.
I gather there must be different types of bogies perhaps on the HSTs/MK3s.

All of the Mk3/HST vehicle bogie were originally fitted with long swing links which the Southern would not accept as they did not give enough clearance to the 3rd rail.

The swing links support the spring plank the supports the air springs. The long links hangs below the spring plank and under certain conditions of wear and lateral movement can decrease the clearance sufficient to cause arcing with the 3rd rail.

When Intercity decided Mk3/HST's were going to operate over the Southern the long swing links were replaced by shorter links that gave more clearance.

Google BT10 bogie long swing link and look at the GW info forum entry for a more detailed explanation and the story about a planned HST diversion to Waterloo in 2015 that included a vehicle fitted with long link bogies and was stopped at Worting Junction (Basingstoke) very close to the 3rd rail.

Dodger

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations