Are we over the Golden Age of N Gauge?

Started by Rabbitaway, March 27, 2018, 09:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben A

Quote from: Newportnobby on March 01, 2019, 10:01:45 AM
I love the new manufacturers coming to produce more niche models but am constantly disappointed with the lack of updates. Some examples:-

Revolution Cemflos - announced 8.9.18. No updates available as at today
Revolution class 56xx - announced 24.11.18. No updates available as at today.
Revolution class 128 - announced 8.9.18. Website says order book opens Qtr1 2019. We're in the last month of that Qtr, guys!

So - it's easy to get us all 'frothed up' (to use another member's expression) but then it seems to be "Hurry up and wait".
Somone close to Revolution made a spurious post stating class 128 expressions of interest would be taken in Jan 2019. A case of 'fake news'?

Hi there,

I am not sure what updates you want - we say something when we have something to say!

Those specific items: 

Revolution Cemflos - quotes obtained, schedule agreed with Accurascale, next update will be CADs in a month or two.

Revolution class 56xx - CADs shown.  EP samples expected soon.  We will post photos etc when we have them.

Revolution class 128 - order book expected to open Q1 2019.  Which you know.  I don't know who said expressions of interest would open in Jan 2019 but I am sure it was in good faith.  Sometimes plans get delayed, or deadlines missed.

There are threads here for all these models where you can ask questions and we will try to answer. 

As most people know we do this in our spare time (I have just come home after a nightshift) and in general we are not backward in coming forward when we have actual news about any of our models.

cheers

Ben A.

red_death

Just to add to Ben's point about night shifts - I'm just back from 3 days out of 4 in Paris/Brussels/Mechelen. That isn't to complain - that's my job - but it is to put it in some sort of context if we can't reply in a few days.

Most of the information is on our website - as Ben said - we've no interest in saying something for the sake of it! 

Cheers Mike

Adam1701D

I fully appreciate the joys of trying to combine a model railway sideline with a "day job". Electra is becoming almost too successful and I sometimes struggle to keep up with e-mails and the like. Can't really complain about that, though :-)
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

Rabbitaway

I am going to re-ask the question as the original poster on this thread considering the lack of new items and the years of delay on catalogue items from Farish and Dapol. Even new liveries of existing models are thin on the ground. Road vehicles form Oxford are also now slow and delayed. What is available in N gauge is very costly for the reasons debated on this forum.

It just leaves Revolution moving things forward now DJ is out of the game

So are we over the golden age that we seemed to be experiencing a few years ago?

jpendle

Kato just announced the 800/801/802, so probably not.

I personally am wondering if Farish have retreated a little to reassess the market. Even if everything they had promised hit the shops tomorrow, I would only be interested in 2 or 3 items.

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

And my Automation Thread

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=52597.msg687934#msg687934

PLD

Quote from: Rabbitaway on August 03, 2019, 08:14:17 PM
I am going to re-ask the question as the original poster on this thread considering the lack of new items and the years of delay on catalogue items from Farish and Dapol. Even new liveries of existing models are thin on the ground. Road vehicles form Oxford are also now slow and delayed. What is available in N gauge is very costly for the reasons debated on this forum.

It just leaves Revolution moving things forward now DJ is out of the game

So are we over the golden age that we seemed to be experiencing a few years ago?
Nope...

Farish and Dapol are producing no less than at any point in the last ten years but the same total units is spread over a wider range. (though there are less "undelivered promises" which I see as a good thing...)
DJM will produce exactly the same number of N Gauge locos in the next ten years as he did in the past ten.
And now we have Kato joining the party!

woodbury22uk

Quote from: PLD on August 03, 2019, 09:08:12 PM
Quote from: Rabbitaway on August 03, 2019, 08:14:17 PM
Road vehicles form Oxford are also now slow and delayed.

Nope...

Farish and Dapol are producing no less than at any point in the last ten years but the same total units is spread over a wider range. (though there are less "undelivered promises" which I see as a good thing...)
DJM will produce exactly the same number of N Gauge locos in the next ten years as he did in the past ten.
And now we have Kato joining the party!

Same comment applies to Oxford Diecast where the number of items in the N pipeline is no different than it has been for at least the last 4 years - in spite of them re-issuing a much larger range of "out of stock" items than in previous years.

Still think we are in the Golden Age.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Newportnobby

What with Kato coming to the party along with Sonic (56xx) and Accurascale (cemflos), Hattons with their Garratt, Osborns with their breakdown crane etc I reckon things are looking up although my wallet doesn't necessarily agree :no:
RevolutioN appear to bring things to market quicker than Farish/Dapol because I believe they actually care about their customer base

crewearpley40

Leon

I've only been involved in this hobby for a little over a year - so what do I know? During this time, I've spent over $2,500 on the hobby, which has always been one of the most expensive a person can adopt but may be in danger of imploding from recent price increases. The demands from "purists" who insist on more and more authenticity and detail have pushed prices up beyond an affordable level for the "average Joe". There may not be enough deep-pocketed collectors/modellers to sustain the industry unless manufacturers create a new line of railroad models appealing to those of us who don't need as much authenticity and detail. I'm a little off subject, I suppose, for the issue also applies to other gauges. But, my reply to the topic question is that we probably ARE past the Golden Age of N Gauge. If the scales haven't tipped, they certainly may in the very near future and it will be a result of manufacturers trying to meet the demands of too small a market.

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

"A well-read man is defined not for how much he's read but by what he's read!" - an old man

Newportnobby

@Webbo
I see you have clicked on the 'help required' rating on my last post. Is there something you need clarifying?

EtchedPixels

Given all the huge price rises I imagine the market has shrunk a lot. I've bought one pacer in the past 2 years, and I might treat myself to another Union Mills loco or two but that's about it.

The bigger problem for the hobby I suspect is that the next generation of railway modellers are going to be building virtual models when they retire and the simulators world models are getting extremely high quality - even if not yet very editable.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Webbo

Quote from: Newportnobby on August 04, 2019, 12:28:43 PM
@Webbo
I see you have clicked on the 'help required' rating on my last post. Is there something you need clarifying?

Sorry Mick. An accident. Just my clumsy fingers.
Webbo

Bealman

Quote from: EtchedPixels on August 04, 2019, 05:58:59 PM
Given all the huge price rises I imagine the market has shrunk a lot. I've bought one pacer in the past 2 years, and I might treat myself to another Union Mills loco or two but that's about it.

The bigger problem for the hobby I suspect is that the next generation of railway modellers are going to be building virtual models when they retire and the simulators world models are getting extremely high quality - even if not yet very editable.

Good point. I ran into a fellow a bit older than me on a bus a few months ago, who I was very good friends with  when I was in a club here in the early nineties.

He was an excellent modeller and an electronics whizz (he designed and built all of the club's handheld controllers - indeed, I have one on my layout).

When I asked him if he was still into model railways, he said exactly what you said. He told me he was, but virtual railway modelling.

He sold all his models years ago!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Ben A

Hello all,

I think there are always going to be different answer to this, depending on how you define "golden age."

If you weren't too bothered about a wide range, but wanted low cost, high quality models, then maybe 10 years ago would be your GA, when we had Dapol and Farish producing models like the prototype Deltic and Class 86 but salaries in China were still low.

If you want a much wider - and constantly growing - range of high quality models, with new and diverse manufacturers entering the market, but in some cases those models being more costly, then your GA is now.  This is where my definition lies.

Alternatively, if your GA means fond memories of yesteryear, when models were robust but basic and modelling N was blazing a new trail, then your GA would be the 1960s/70s etc.

In terms of virtual modelling, I think some people will gravitate towards computers, some of us will use them as tools (for etch design, or layout control) and others will avoid them.

But I don't see them as competition because IMO humans need physical as well as mental stimulus.  Computer games provide great visual and audio experiences, but modelling satisfies the sensory need for touch, and even smell, in addition.

Cheers

Ben A.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations