Couplers

Started by Pacecars, May 11, 2020, 08:11:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pacecars

First please forgive me for being an ignorant newbie. I have been ordering several locomotives and rolling stock but didn't even consider that the older style cars would have different couplers than the locomotive. So basically I need to know the best way to change couplers and what brand to go with. Here are pics of the ones I have.
I want to go from this

To this

Bealman

The first pic is of a Rapido type coupler which was the universally accepted design from the European origins of N gauge, and still is the norm in the UK, Europe, Japan and even the USA to a certain extent.

The second is a KADEE style magnetic coupler produced by Microtrains of the USA.

The company also produce a range of excellent freight cars, and the easy way out would be to purchase their products with the coupler already fitted.

They also do a range of individual parts and conversion kits.

I'm sure more experienced members who use this system will be able to help.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Pacecars

So if I want to replace them with MT trucks which ones do I want. There are a cap load and I would just prefer to do it the easy way and buy them in bulk to save a little money. Here is a view of the trucks:

ntpntpntp

The trucks won't all be the same style, so maybe work out how many different types of truck you need to replace? Also check the diameter of the wheels as they can be different. That should them help you narrow down the choice of trucks you need to buy.

I'm not a modeller of US railroads so replacing trucks like this isn't something I've ever needed to do. I just stick with the old style Rapido couplings for maximum interoperability with all the different brands of European models I like.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Pacecars

Thanks. I didn't think about couplers when I ordered some British stock too. I have a Farish Jubilee and several different LMS passenger cars coming from the UK so I assume they will have compatible couplers with each other.

ntpntpntp

Quote from: Pacecars on May 12, 2020, 05:51:26 PM
I have a Farish Jubilee and several different LMS passenger cars coming from the UK so I assume they will have compatible couplers with each other.

Yes they'll have Rapido couplings as standard.  They may or may not have the newer NEM standard pocket which lets you plug in alternative coupler designs if preferred.  You buy those alternative couplers separately, and note that Microtrains don't do an NEM version of their knuckle couplers (the NEM pocket is not widely adopted for US models as far as I know).

It only seems to be certain brands of US models which you can actually buy stock ready-fitted with Microtrains style knuckle couplers.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £15.67
Below Goal: £84.33
Site Currency: GBP
16% 
May Donations