N gauge track question

Started by londonboi1985, August 18, 2011, 05:02:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

londonboi1985

hi there sorry people but another prob dumb question from me lol

the layout i am planning on doing has got down that it should have 65 ST-11's this seems allot and i have been told by a model shop to replace these with lengths of s/h flexi track which are a metre long which in turn is the equivelent to 6 st-11's is this true??? and will the st track be ok to pair up with the s/h track??

MJKERR

I would thoroughly recommend code 80 Streamline SL-300 flexitrack
I have used it throughout my layout
This will work perfectly with both Setrack and Streamline points, both of which I use
Work out the length you require, then compare to a box of 25 one metre pieces, as well as the total cost

The ST-11 is 174mm making it just under 7" in length
I make that to be five, plus a little left over, to one piece of flexitrack

You will then need some kind of tool
I tried a Xuron but it was dreadful
I then used a Dremel with cutting disc and this was perfect

oscar

I've used a set of Xuron track cutters for all my track cuts and they are brilliant. You can nibble the tiniest of bits off the track without needing to file it. They MUST be used upright on N gauge with the smooth back of the blades to the track you are keeping.  :thumbsup:

klaatu

I agree; Xuron track cutters are superb. I also use a razor saw with a small block of wood. Cut two grooves in the block of wood, 9mm apart, so that it fits onto the track, and then use the end of the block of wood as a guide for the saw.

Steve

Newportnobby

Quote from: mjkerr on August 18, 2011, 05:27:59 AM

You will then need some kind of tool
I tried a Xuron but it was dreadful
I then used a Dremel with cutting disc and this was perfect

Having been recommended the Xuron cutters by forum members I have to say they are superb and would ask if you have used them as per the instructions, that is, vertically and not horizontally?
I also have the good old wooden block/saw but it can only be used on straight track whereas the Xuron is great for nipping off bits of flexitrack rail when curved to square the ends off.

Dock Shunter

Wouldn't use anything else except my Xuron track cutters for cutting track...:thumbsup:
One thing i would add is NEVER use them for anything else except cutting track... :o

Mustermark

I have used SL-300 code 80 flexitrack for my layout.  Not only is it quicker and cheaper to lay it looks good without all the joins that you get with short set-track lengths.  It also allows you to put a slight curve in if you want to.  I have used streamline points, not set-track points, but either will work... I think you just have to match the code.

I also used Xuron cutters and found them to be excellent.  Very quick and easy.  Laying two boxes of SL-300 only took about three weekends.

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations