Eight years - really!!

Started by Lawrence, November 21, 2018, 09:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ozymandias

Happy Birthday, NGF!

It's a great forum - peopled by friendly, knowledgeable and helpful folks.

:NGF:

"Look on my works, Ye Mighty, and despair!"

Chetcombe

Wow, happy 8th anniversary NGF- just checked and it's over 7 years since I signed up (doesn't time fly!)

I echo the thoughts of others; as an overseas transplant the forum acts as a virtual model railway club for me. So huge thanks to Tank and all current and past mods, volunteers and those that just post for making it such a great and friendly place to hang out.
Mike

See my layout here Chetcombe
Videos of Chetcombe on YouTube

Tank

Thanks for the reminder @Lawrence :)  Thank you for your help over the years, and to the moderators past and present who have done a great job giving up their time in helping to keep this forum going.  Also to the members who very kindly give the forum donations, which keep this place ticking over.  I won't mention names, but there are a few members who give money each month, and some who give larger amounts when they can - so a special thank you for doing that.

I am always very touched by the kind comments from members.  I'd never imagined that members would enjoy this forum so much, and would give praise to it.  The idea of the forum came from there not being anywhere online dedicated to N gauge where members could write and place images of their models/layouts.  It can be a hard place to run at times, mainly when members clash.  I have only had to ban about 8 members in 8 years - which I think is an amazing achievement.  Generally, this is a very friendly forum and I hope it always stays that way.  I would like to put more time into the forum like I used to when I started it, but 3 children, full time employment, caring for my father, and now a Beaver Scout Leader.....!   :scowl: :D

There are always improvements to be done!  The forum is about to have a huge overhaul - although it will look the same to you.  I'm paying for someone to put a lot of hours in to tidy up the coding that is used for the forum and making sure it's up to date.  There will also be some tweaks that some members have asked to be done to improve usage.

Thank you all for your support! :NGF:

Papyrus

I agree with every word said!

This is the only forum I belong to and the only one I need. I joined the day I retired in 2013 and even though layout building is proceeding at a snail's pace I appreciate all the support I have been given and I hope some of my contributions have benefited others. Long may you continue and go from strength to strength.

:NGF:

Cheers,

Chris

busbar

Likewise it's a very well done from me too.
I am, comparatively, a newbie with only 5.6 years on board, but like many others the layout is making very slow progress, but the information gleaned along the way is saving many potential boo boos in the future.
One problem causing the slow progress with the layout is SWMBO, who keeps coming up with projects like loft conversions, not to mention decorating etc.
Anyway many thanks to all for the constant flow of advice and information.

Hailstone

Well done to the founders - this is part of my social club and I hope it goes on for at least another 30 years, that should see me in my box

Regards,

Alex

Biggy

:thankyousign: Three and a half years since I joined. For me it is also the only forum I have stayed with. I don't post as much as I should but I can say that but for the kindness and support of those on the forum I would be modelling a OO shunting puzzle having thrown in the towel with N gauge
Thanks again to all on the friendliest and best Forum  :NGaugersRule:
Not sure its supposed to do that

lil chris

Well all I can say is thanks Tank and you guys for starting the best model railway forum on the planet bar none. This is a friendly place and there is so much information available for everyone. I have been a member for just over 6 years, it said 2015 when I first looked,which had me worried, but then it changed to Oct 2012 which is about right. I started looking through my profile knowing I had been on here longer than 3 years, must have been a glitch somewhere. Any way well done lads and long may it continue.
Lil Chris
My new layout  East Lancashire Railway
My old layout was Irwell Valley Railway.
Layout previous was East Lancashire Lines, changed this new one. My new layout here.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57193.0

Tank

Quote from: lil chris on November 28, 2018, 09:58:04 PM
....must have been a glitch somewhere.

Yes, plenty of those on here at the moment!  Hopefully to be sorted out by New Year.

Thanks everyone for your kind words and appreciation. :thumbsup:

trkilliman

I have gleaned much useful information from here, and hope I have likewise been able to advise or engender others in some small way. Other than two N gaugers local to me, also in their 60s, I don't really have much other modeller contact. Club's don't float my boat so this forum is really good for interaction with like minded people.

Bob Tidbury

I joined at the Ridlesden meet up .I was feeling real down and depressed my best mate and our little dog had both passed away ,the weather was appalling so we didn't get many members so trade on the B H E stand was slow ,then this guy came over and asked if I was OK ,I told him why I was looking so miserable and he asked me if I actually had a layout in N Gauge I showed him some of my pictures and he said why didn't I join the Forum . I told him I hadn't got a clue how to or what the Forum was really about , without a word he took my Ipad and after a second he asked me what name I wanted to use and what password .
He then handed me the IPad  and said there you go ,he showed me how to get into the Forum and the rest is History ,He now regrets joining me after all the rubbish I put on here ,.
That guy was TANK HIMSELF  and I owe him a big  :thankyousign: and he will never know how much he cheered  me up ,I now consider that I have friends all over the world and it's  helped me get over the loss of my best mate and our little dog  .I have helped a few members and been helped by a lot of members .
I can honestly say the Forum has changed my life .
SO A REALLY BIG  :thankyousign: TO TANK AND ALL THE MODERATORS AND ALL THE FRIENDS IVE MADE ,LONG MAY THE FORUM CONTINUE.
:NGaugersRule:  :NGaugeForum:
Bob Tidbury  joined on February 15 2014  at 2 oclock

Claude Dreyfus

I joined 8 years and one day ago...number 28 on the list. Interesting that there are a fair few really early members still active on here. Things have most certainly changed over the years. Well done to Tank for his foresight, and instead of just moaning about a lack of N gauge on the various fora knocking around, actually doing something about it.

railsquid

I wonder what the longest-running thread is? My money is on Dapol Class 142 'Pacer' from October 2011, last update today.

Calnefoxile

Sept 2011 for me, blimey 7 years 2 moths of my drivel being posted on here.

Mind you it has encouraged me to up my game when it comes to modelling, as some of the members on here are fabulous modellers themselves, so for that I think the Forum has done it's job and continues to do so.

Well done @Tank, @Lawrence  all the other founding members.

Cheers  :beers: :beers:

Neal.

Calnefoxile

Quote from: railsquid on November 29, 2018, 11:36:57 AM
I wonder what the longest-running thread is? My money is on Dapol Class 142 'Pacer' from October 2011, last update today.

Just shows how long we've been waiting for the  :censored: :censored: things  :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

Cheers

Neal.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations