Am I being too fussy? Problems with a diecast model

Started by silly moo, July 29, 2020, 05:53:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silly moo

I would value a bit of perspective on this. I wonder if I am expecting too much of a mass produced item? I have just received a limited edition diecast model truck from one of the large model retailers. It cost £17 with postage.

It has lettering on the sides which is not straight. Maybe it's years of modelling but I noticed it straight away. I have asked for a return label and a refund and have been asked by the retailer to send a photograph showing the wonky lettering.

Is wonky lettering justification for a return?

I wouldn't have minded a replacement but it is probably not feasible for them to go through their stock to find a better example as it would mean them unpacking models that are supposed to be unopened.

If the worst comes to the worst can they refuse to refund me?

Veronica.

:NGaugersRule:

themadhippy

QuoteIf the worst comes to the worst can they refuse to refund me?
was it an online purchase?if so youve got 14 days to return it regardless of reason
https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-contracts-regulations
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

emjaybee

Yes, it's a justified reason. It'd drive me crackers.

Send it back.
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

silly moo

It is driving me crackers   :veryangry:  It's an 00 truck so quite noticeable. It does not compare well with the Peco N gauge tanker I bought at the weekend which has absolutely perfect lettering.

I think my run of good luck is officially over, I used to get very good models with no problems but have now had two in a row with faults. The one before this was a limited edition loco which had significant faults and was replaced by the same retailer.

Quality control seems to be slipping at the moment.

woodbury22uk

Oxford Diecast have just had a problem with a 1/76 Stobart walking floor truck where the printing of half the word Stobart on the trailer on one side is a few millimetres lower than the other. The production sample was correct but it seems a few of the production run have the faulty printing. The N gauge version of a similar trailer was correct!

These things happen. If it is not a feature of the whole batch @silly moo then you should be able to find a replacement.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

njee20

Yep, as said, it doesn't matter whether it's a 'good enough' reason, you're legally entitled to return goods bought online for specifically this reason - you had no opportunity to check It before purchase. Had you seen the wonky lettering you may not have bought it.

crewearpley40

Do you have the receipt ? You can ask for a refund

njee20

As Veronica's said she's requested a returns label, no receipt needed for online purchases, but it's worth knowing that the dealer absolutely can't reject the request. Nor can they charge 'restocking fees' or anything. The only thing they don't have to refund is your postage.

dannyboy

Irrespective of the fact that there is the 14 day 'cooling off' period as mentioned above, a receipt is not required to get a refund or replacement for anything purchased, either on line or in person - all that is required is 'proof or purchase', it does not have to be a receipt.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

njee20

Yep, I've used bank/card statements previously, with no issue. It's concerning how some retailers don't now the rules though; I have had several try to charge me restsocking fees.

silly moo

Thanks for the helpful information. I've only been back in the UK for two years so my knowledge of consumer regulations is sketchy.

Does anyone know when the 14 day cooling off period starts? I hope it's counted from when you receive the goods and not when the money is taken from your account.

crewearpley40

I believe that the cooling off period starts the day after you receive your order / the day after you enter into the contract if that helps  veronica. Googled the cab advice and this https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/whats-a-cooling-off-period-and-how-do-i-use-it-to-cancel-an-order

themadhippy

QuoteDoes anyone know when the 14 day cooling off period starts?

QuoteYour right to cancel an order for goods starts the moment you place your order and ends 14 days from the day you receive your goods.

If your order consists of multiple goods, the 14 day period runs from when you get the last of the batch.

This 14 day period is the time you have to decide whether to cancel, you then have a further 14 days to actually send the goods back.
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

silly moo

An update, the retailer has replied saying that they will try and find me a replacement. I will be happy if they can find a good one.

railsquid

Quote from: njee20 on July 29, 2020, 08:33:01 PM
Yep, I've used bank/card statements previously, with no issue. It's concerning how some retailers don't now the rules though; I have had several try to charge me restsocking fees.

The cynic in me says they probably know the rules very well but were hoping you didn't.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations